Mechanical Back Door Release Planned?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Dash

Country
Country
Hi,

so ... there is just an electric door opener for the back doors, right?
Does anyone know if there are plans to put mechanical releases in the back doors, too? For future versions of the car?

My family and friends tell me that if the car arrives like that in Europe, I can't put my kid in there because in case of an emergency, he might not be able to get out of the car if the power is down. And I don't know what to tell them.
I don't want to have to choose another car just because of that.

Thx

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As others noted many use the child locks which would also prevent this. Maybe the best thing you need is a Lifehammer or two. They are cheap and if you've got one in the console and or glove box you could use it to bust a window from the outside.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
so ... there is just an electric door opener for the back doors, right?
Does anyone know if there are plans to put mechanical releases in the back doors, too? For future versions of the car?
I belive the emergency door release (the one that yells at you when you pull it) is mechanical.

PaulK

Country
Country
Many minivans now have electric sliding doors in back that don’t open manually unless you disable the electric feature. Plus, the third row has no doors (just like the rear seat of a 2door coupe)

...and I don’t hear of people avoiding buying them because their kids might get stuck in back after a crash...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Many minivans now have electric sliding doors in back that don’t open manually unless you disable the electric feature.
Really?

I've owned a Chevy Venture and a Honda Odyssey, both with electric sliding doors. I've had batteries go dead on each one, and they work manually using the same inside or outside handle that is also used to actuate the electric opening. Or is that all you meant by "disabling" the electric feature?

PaulK

Country
Country
Really?

I've owned a Chevy Venture and a Honda Odyssey, both with electric sliding doors. I've had batteries go dead on each one, and they work manually using the same inside or outside handle that is also used to actuate the electric opening. Or is that all you meant by "disabling" the electric feature?
I own a 2005 Odyssey. When the battery has died (it has terrible vampire drain) there’s enough of a tiny bit of voltage that the sliding doors will not open unless you flip the switch on the dashboard to manual.

I’ve read that the Toyota Sienna operates the same way.

I also presume that to a greater degree than with “standard” doors, the sliders are much more likely to be rendered inoperable in a crash bad enough to make a quick exit important.

I’ll echo GDN’s comment to carry a window break tool in a safe accessible location, and show your kids where it is... in any car.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I own a 2005 Odyssey. When the battery has died (it has terrible vampire drain) there’s enough of a tiny bit of voltage that the sliding doors will not open unless you flip the switch on the dashboard to manual.
Mine was a 2009, which is the same generation. The same door handles still operated the sliding doors manually when the battery was dead. I've never had to flip that switch. Strange that yours behaves differently.

escondidos

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If all the power is dead... and the back window is up, how will this emergency release be able to open the door if the window requires power to come down an inch on open?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If all the power is dead... and the back window is up, how will this emergency release be able to open the door if the window requires power to come down an inch on open?
You can open the door without the window lowering. The top of the window will scrape the trim when this happens though. The dropping of the window prevents that from happening.