Max hits 10,000 miles

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure which thread to put this in. But Max hit 10,000 miles this past weekend. We drove him out to LA and back, his 3rd major trip since getting him early January. After driving in LA traffic for a week, I remembered that the Model 3 is just a killer car to have in LA. It's the perfect car for that city. Go into baby elephant mode in rush-hour bumper to bumper traffic and simply follow the car in front of you with zero fuss, or squirt and zip in and out of traffic with ease when you decide you actually need to take that exit coming up on the right, 2 lanes over. The highway cruise back to New Mexico was effortless too. 108F in the Mojave, chilly in Flagstaff, crazy windy again but only $83 and change for "juice" round trip, about 2000 miles total for the week. (I paid more than that to take all of us out to Saturday brunch in Manhattan Beach last weekend.o_O)

Then there was finally getting noticed and appreciated. :rolleyes: The Hawthorne Supercharger is within the SpaceX compound and it was kinda cool to see Max getting noticed for a change while charging. Especially in a city where Model S's seem to be more common than BMWs. By the way, I didn't see a single other WHITE Model 3 while there, nor any red ones. Curious. Max doesn't really get much notice here in New Mexico, people simply have no clue what kind of car he is. I only saw one other Model 3 on the trip out. Plenty of Model Ss on I-40 however.

I'm not sure how many on this forum have Model 3s with 10k+ miles on them either. For those of you wondering how Max has held up, I'm happy to report I'm still pleased as punch about the car. I'm getting somewhat jaded now and am taking some things about Max's sporting manners for granted finally. But I'm pleased to report the car simply performs its job to perfection with no fuss, it simply does what I ask it to do. Sure, there are issues with EAP that need to be worked out, and the occasional time or two when the car won't recognize my phone as key, stuff like that. But I really don't care. It's a complete blast to drive, it's comfortable, well balanced, it's held up very well over these past 10k miles too, no new rattles or groans or squeaks.

Efficiency over the total 10k miles to date: 10744 miles, 2542 kWh, 237 Wh/mi. At my electric rates (11 cents per kWh) 2542 kWh works out to $279.62 (I actually get electricity cheaper at work and free if I go to one of the county buildings). That's 2.6 cents per mile. Is that cool or what? :) I gave him a bath tonight and took his 10k photo. Thought I'd share!

maxat10k-jpg.10407

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I see your Profile picture shows the car in the snow. How did the RWD single motor handled the snow and cold ? I should be taking delivery in the next 2-3 weeks. Waiting on VIN.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drove it maybe 3 or 4 times in a decent amount of snow (several inches) before winter left NM (early this year). It seemed to perform as well as my big old front wheel drive car did---that one had traction control. I'm seriously considering a set of snow tires before next winter arrives though. My 6th sense and limited snow experience in this car tells me that the Model 3 is probably fine in light snows with All Season tires but I'll probably feel better with a set of real snow tires on it. Just an opinion mind you but that's based on having grown up near Lake Michigan with GOBS of snow.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I drove it maybe 3 or 4 times in a decent amount of snow (several inches) before winter left NM (early this year). It seemed to perform as well as my big old front wheel drive car did---that one had traction control. I'm seriously considering a set of snow tires before next winter arrives though. My 6th sense and limited snow experience in this car tells me that the Model 3 is probably fine in light snows with All Season tires but I'll probably feel better with a set of real snow tires on it. Just an opinion mind you but that's based on having grown up near Lake Michigan with GOBS of snow.
I was going to wait for the Dual motor configuration but did not want to miss out on the tax credit. I drive up to the ski resorts up in Vermont and am worried about the RWD model 3 getting me there. I think i will also invest in 4 Snows. Thanks of the quick reply.