Massachusetts Meetup

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

For those interested in a Boston-area meetup this fall: what dates/times work for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Greetings, fellow TOOers in Massachusetts (and anywhere within driving distance)!

There's been some talk of scheduling a meetup before the weather turns too craptastical, so I thought I'd create a separate thread to help us sort out the details.

I've added a poll so we can get a rough idea for when people are available over the next few weekends. If you're interested in attending, please indicate your preferences in the poll, and we'll go from there.

As for location... Just eyeballing where people live, I'm thinking somewhere along the western edge of RT 128, preferably with ample parking and a contingency plan for unpleasant weather, but haven't thought much beyond that. Ideas and suggestions are most welcome!

Also, if you have prior experience planning a car forum/enthusiast meetup, please feel free to jump in, as my event-planning skills are largely limited to pointing at a date on a calendar and a location on a map. :)

Cintoman

Country
Country
Hey....this would be great to have. I probably have about as much experience as you do with planning something like this.

--Cintoman

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome.. We should probably pick a weather contingency date as well. I'm tentatively traveling for work the week of the 25th but I will re-adjust my vote if my plans change.

It would be nice to think of a driving route as well, maybe somewhere with some good twisties.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like the afternoon of Saturday the 24th is leading ever-so-slightly over this coming Sunday at the moment. Weather tentatively looks good, but as we all know, the 10-day forecast is anything but certain around these parts.

Let's suppose for a moment that the 24th is our date. Given that we've got folks interested from all over the place -- including North Andover, Cumberland, and Central Mass -- what would be a good a meet-up spot?

My first thought was Shoppers World in Framingham, since it's just off the Mass Pike, has ample parking, food/shelter in case of weather, and even a Supercharger if anyone needs it... but there's one problem: Saturday the 24th is the day after Black Friday. Sooooo, maybe not a shopping center...?

Thoughts?

Honestly, I don't think the bar is very high. Though to @JWardell's point, having a fun route to arrive / depart by would be a nice added bonus. :)

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like I'll be traveling for work from the 23rd to the 1st so I will probably have to attend a later meet.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like I'll be traveling for work from the 23rd to the 1st so I will probably have to attend a later meet.
Bummer! I was looking forward to a surprise unveiling of your home-built CAN bus decoder at the meetup. ;)

bsunny

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just changed my vote to include mornings (tho not my preference.) This makes 12/2 morning now more attendees, I think. There are so few of us, it would be great to try to get as many as possible. Unfortunately, scheduling for everyone is always impossible. Ugh.
I am not voting on my favorite day/time; I will try to come whenever it is scheduled.
Regarding location, I always avoid all malls anytime after mid-November. But it does seem that the Natick Mall would be the best location for all the reasons given. Is there more

bsunny

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just changed my vote to include mornings (tho not my preference.) This makes 12/2 morning now more attendees, I think. There are so few of us, it would be great to try to get as many as possible. Unfortunately, scheduling for everyone is always impossible. Ugh.
I am not voting on my favorite day/time; I will try to come whenever it is scheduled.
Regarding location, I always avoid all malls anytime after mid-November. But it does seem that the Natick Mall would be the best location for all the reasons given. Is there more
Hmmm...I am not good at this. My post seems to be missing more recent edits.
I am just throwing out other possible locations to consider (not necessarily recommending these—I will go wherever.)

Might there be an office park we could meet in even if no charging? Might be lightly used on a weekend(?) Or, is there a hotel parking lot large enough for us to not be noticed?

Or, if we want restroom or indoor access, maybe a rest stop on the Pike? (Crazy?)

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just changed my vote to include mornings (tho not my preference.) This makes 12/2 morning now more attendees, I think. There are so few of us, it would be great to try to get as many as possible.
Thanks for pointing this out -- Sunday 12/2 morning does indeed look like it has the most votes now. But there's an interesting wrinkle: you and I are the only people who voted for both dates, there's no overlap otherwise. And, if I'm not mistaken, everyone who has voted so far has voted for one of these two dates.

So, here's a wild idea: what if we scheduled two meetups, Saturday 11/24 afternoon, and Sunday 12/2 morning? That way, all of us can attend at least one.

Might there be an office park we could meet in even if no charging? Might be lightly used on a weekend(?) Or, is there a hotel parking lot large enough for us to not be noticed?
Great suggestion! If the weather's nice enough, a conveniently-located office park might work out very well. We could just setup a card table with some donuts, bagels, coffee, etc. and hang out.

So, how about this: there's an Ameresco office building with a large parking lot right off the Natick exit on the Pike, at the corner of Speen Street and Route 30. The lot is deserted on weekends, and we could setup behind the building if we wanted to stay out of view... or we could park right out front if we wanted to make ourselves known (especially to anyone filling up at Cumberland Farms across the street :p).

In the event of weather, we could move across the street to the TJX headquarters garage (which has no access control), or worst case the garage by Wegmans at the Natick Mall (which has free Level 2 charging and hopefully won't be completely inundated with shoppers).

What do we think?

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay, I think it's about time to pencil in some dates, times, and locations for our two meetups. Per the discussion above, I'm just going to throw some details out there and tag the folks who have indicated interest. The start times are flexible (feel free to show up and leave whenever), but I'm happy to move them forward or backward to maximize attendance. We can also change the location for either event if there's a desire to do so.

Saturday Afternoon, November 24th
Time: ~1pm (can change this if needed)
Location: Ameresco parking lot in Framingham, next to the Natick exit on the Mass Pike (can change this if desired)
Weather: Looking great so far, 44 degrees and mostly sunny!
Interested: @cfickett @Bokonon @Niket @Steven Friedman @bsunny

Sunday Morning, December 2nd
Time: ~9am (can change this if needed)
Location: Same as above, assuming good weather, unless someone has a better suggestion
Weather: Too early to tell
Interested: @Cintoman @JWardell @John Slaby @Bokonon @Yolohojo @AutopilotFan @Dan D @bsunny

Once we confirm the details, I'll post them in the main Boston/Massachusetts thread and the general TOO meetup thread to see if we can lure some other folks in... Especially you lurkers who haven't posted anything yet. ;) (Hi, CB...)

Let me know what you think. It'll be very exciting to meet everyone!

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I added myself for Sunday Morning Dec 2. My schedule is always crazy. If I’m around I’ll be there.

That space around the superchargers near logan express tends not to be to crazy busy.

We should check the superchargers status this Sunday morning coming up to gauge how busy it might be.

I was told they were FULL this past weekend but I wasn’t sure when during the weekend.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll be back from Europe late on the 1st. Chances that I will be anywhere but home on the 2nd are slim to none. Oh yeah, and it's the last day to pick up leaves before the last pickup. Joy of the season! So have fun if I miss you, hopefully we plan something else soon.

bsunny

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Time: ~1pm
Time: ~9am
I will try to attend both of these. Mornings might not work for me, though, so 12/2 I will either be “late” or not able to make it.

Curious if you got permission from the company to use their lot? (Not sure it is needed.)

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Curious if you got permission from the company to use their lot? (Not sure it is needed.)
It was completely empty a couple of Saturdays ago. I figure if we're far enough from the building no one will care.

Worst case, if someone is there and makes us move, we can relocate to the Natick Mall Garage, Shoppers World, or (if all else fails) the office park where I work two miles away.... zero security there, I guarantee it. :)

Cintoman

Country
Country
Okay, I think it's about time to pencil in some dates, times, and locations for our two meetups. Per the discussion above, I'm just going to throw some details out there and tag the folks who have indicated interest. The start times are flexible (feel free to show up and leave whenever), but I'm happy to move them forward or backward to maximize attendance. We can also change the location for either event if there's a desire to do so.

Time: ~1pm (can change this if needed)
Location: Ameresco parking lot in Framingham, next to the Natick exit on the Mass Pike (can change this if desired)
Weather: Looking great so far, 44 degrees and mostly sunny!
Interested: @cfickett @Bokonon @Niket @Steven Friedman @bsunny

Time: ~9am (can change this if needed)
Location: Same as above, assuming good weather, unless someone has a better suggestion
Weather: Too early to tell
Interested: @Cintoman @JWardell @John Slaby @Bokonon @Yolohojo @AutopilotFan @Dan D @bsunny

Once we confirm the details, I'll post them in the main Boston/Massachusetts thread and the general TOO meetup thread to see if we can lure some other folks in... Especially you lurkers who haven't posted anything yet. ;) (Hi, CB...)

Let me know what you think. It'll be very exciting to meet everyone!
Although I put myself down for 12/2, I might be able to make the 11/24 day instead. Reason I'm potentially changing is because I might not have my car on 12/2 as it's likely going in for some minor body work stuff from delivery this coming Monday 11/26. Don't think it'd be cool to show up with an Enterprise ICE rental, although, if I had to, I would, just so I can meet all of you.

I'll find out more in the coming days.

--Cintoman