Making Call with Voice Command

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

mrb

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I can’t figure out how to use the voice command to make a call from a contact on my contacts list that have multiple phone numbers. When I say “call John” it pops up both his mobile and work numbers on the screen and I would have to press one of them to make the call. I was hoping I can say something like “call John at work” to have it automatically call the work number without me taking my eyes off the road to scroll thru the screen to pick the number. I tried several different ways of saying it but nothing works. Anyone know how or is it even possible?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not possible yet, but only a firmware update away like everything else one everyone's wish list. It just all depends on when Tesla gets around to that as the next priority.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Example #692 of basic things/features/capabilities that should've been included from Day 1 if only Tesla's new product development wasn't run like a KickStarter campaign.
nobody forced you to be part of this 'kickstarter'.
would you rather buy a car that is 100% the way it is the day you pick it up and never improves, or one that is 99% and improves on a monthly basis thru its life?

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I use the voice dialer I say "call Beverley at work" and it works just fine. Try specifying the phone type in your contacts but you have to tag them correctly

mrb

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not possible yet, but only a firmware update away like everything else one everyone's wish list. It just all depends on when Tesla gets around to that as the next priority.
Thanks. Glad it wasn’t just me.

mrb

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I use the voice dialer I say "call Beverley at work" and it works just fine. Try specifying the phone type in your contacts but you have to tag them correctly
What type of phone do you use? I am on an iPhone X and do set the phone type to be mobile or work.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've also noticed that if one of my contacts is a business (only a company name - no individual's name), then the Tesla won't be able to find that contact.
This is with an Android phone.

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
nobody forced you to be part of this 'kickstarter'.

would you rather buy a car that is 100% the way it is the day you pick it up and never improves, or one that is 99% and improves on a monthly basis thru its life?
I'd gladly take that 99% option. Which car company is that? :p;)

Serously tho... yours is a perfectly reasonable way to look at things. But it's also undeniably true that Tesla rushes unfinished and under-validated products to market. And while OTA software updates absolutely provides significant benefits to owners, it also provides Tesla with a crutch that permits them to to be sloppy, and they lean WAY too heavily on that crutch IMO.

Seems to me the obvious answer is that it shouldn't be an either/or. Tesla could have product development processes that don't suck AND still have OTA updates for future improvements.

I'm probably more critical of these design deficiencies than the average owner since I work as a design engineer. Even on this one admittedly small issue, there are so many simple ways that I can think of off the top of my head that would require very little additional R&D that could have made the UI better that still fall short of the ideal solution being discussed. It's as if little-to-no thought was given to this function at all.
It's thoughtless/lazy design like this that drives me crazy -- both as a customer and as someone wanting Tesla to succeed.

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
It's as if little-to-no thought was given to this function at all.
It's thoughtless/lazy design like this that drives me crazy -- both as a customer and as someone wanting Tesla to succeed.
I don't see it as a result of thoughtless/lazy design as much as it is probably that limited resources and developers were allocated to the job. Contrast that to Ford where there would be three levels of management above a large team of developers and it wouldn't be released until it passed muster with all members of the top-heavy management. Tesla can afford to thow it out there "on the cheap" and fix it up in the next few updates because they have OTA updates.

How else do you think they've avoided the "certain" bankruptcy the sell-side analysts have been predicting for years now? I'm just glad that the software that actually runs the throttle, brakes, steering, airbags and electronic traction/stability aids seems rock solid! It's like the Rock of Gibraltar! Just jump in and go! I can count on it to work.

fmcotton

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What type of phone do you have. This doesn’t work for me on my iPhone even though I have everyone’s numbers already tagged as iPhone, mobile, home, or work.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What type of phone do you have. This doesn’t work for me on my iPhone even though I have everyone’s numbers already tagged as iPhone, mobile, home, or work.
It hasn't worked on my Android phone either.
I'm pretty sure that Trev uses an iphone though.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
just tested this out from my iPhone X, asking it to call a contact at home (work, mobile, etc), it will bring up that contact on the screen with the various contact numbers and you will need to pick the correct one. Same as if if fines multiple contacts with the same name - you will need to pick the correct one on the screen.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
just tested this out from my iPhone X, asking it to call a contact at home (work, mobile, etc), it will bring up that contact on the screen with the various contact numbers and you will need to pick the correct one. Same as if if fines multiple contacts with the same name - you will need to pick the correct one on the screen.
Yep, that's the behavior I see as well.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That's if your phone hears you. I have yet to make that work on my iPhone 7+. I keep it in a case on my belt so that may be the problem.
If it is connected by the Bluetooth audio, pressing the right steering wheel button and giving it a Siri command will go they the cars mic and work. It doesn’t depend on your phone hearing you.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If it is connected by the Bluetooth audio, pressing the right steering wheel button and giving it a Siri command will go they the cars mic and work. It doesn’t depend on your phone hearing you.
I've tried that but without success. Do I have to be playing audio from the phone? Do I have to say a command like "DIAL" so the Tesla activates the connection to the phone?