Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts
W
I'm not sure where it might catch on the front door. One simple test to confirm though, pop open the door, click the door catch mechanism until the window goes back up, and slowly close the door to see where it hits the chrome. Of course don't actually do it and make things worse though. Pull back the door, push on the exterior door handle, and the window will drop again allowing you to close the door.
My buddy and I went to the same place at the same time and we're pretty sure they hand cut the film and slipped with a razor blade. Some of the scratches line up exactly with the edge of the glass.

Discussion starter · #62 ·
W

My buddy and I went to the same place at the same time and we're pretty sure they hand cut the film and slipped with a razor blade. Some of the scratches line up exactly with the edge of the glass.
Ugh! I hope they take responsibility for it.

Reactions: iChris93
Discussion starter · #64 ·
I hope so too. Ive gotta call tomorrow.

Anyone replace them on their own? How are they held in place?
After you pull back the rubber liner you'll see that it's held in with screws running the length of the trim. To avoid scratching the paint I would say it's a person job (though if you're very careful it can be done by yourself).

Thanks for the post. I got my M3's windows tinted and noticed the exact same scratch about a day later. Couldn't figure out if they did it or I did. Now I know.

Reactions: SoFlaModel3
just discovered another possible way to scratch the trim..
installing my interior vinyl trim pieces so in and out of various doors without particularly intending to latch a door. Got out of the back seat and shut the door without it latching fully, but the window raised. opened the door and was watching the glass and it just skimmed the bottom of the trim, without issue. But in pressing the door open button, did not lower the glass. had to use the window button instead. While I knew to not shut it with the window up, I am sure this is something that could easily happen... multiple times.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
just discovered another possible way to scratch the trim..
installing my interior vinyl trim pieces so in and out of various doors without particularly intending to latch a door. Got out of the back seat and shut the door without it latching fully, but the window raised. opened the door and was watching the glass and it just skimmed the bottom of the trim, without issue. But in pressing the door open button, did not lower the glass. had to use the window button instead. While I knew to not shut it with the window up, I am sure this is something that could easily happen... multiple times.
Is that repeatable? I've never seen the window go up without the door fully closed (aside from tricking it into thinking it was fully closed).

Is that repeatable? I've never seen the window go up without the door fully closed (aside from tricking it into thinking it was fully closed).
not immediately, no. Just went out, with the door open, rolling the window back up keeps it at the lower height (the door open window height). attempting to close it without it latching keeps the glass lowered. So not sure if it hit the latch just right earlier to trick the window switch or what.
I am waiting on a scheduled time to go in to have a couple paint chips discovered after delivery to be looked at next week, so will mention it to them at that time.

Discussion starter · #70 ·
I just had the car for less than a week, already a window tint place nicked my driver side chrome door trim. How much would it cost to replace? I think more importantly, if I have it replaced, would it impact anything else (like factory sealing, etc.)?

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rdhg3Ui2kww3L3D69
Per Tesla, it's $200 plus local tax. That's what I paid, but we have seen some inconsistency as well.

Discussion starter · #73 ·
You can polish out scratches on the "chrome" trim using a rubbing compound called "Polywatch" (used to polish acrylic watch crystals). The trim is actually coated with plastic.
Isn't it the other way around? Chrome coated plastic? Once it's scratched, isn't the chrome gone leaving behind the plastic?

My tint guy is adamantly denying he caused the scratches. Even after I showed him this thread and SoFlaModel3's video. I've contacted Tesla service center and still waiting to hear back. Any suggestions?
When did you reach out to service? Did you speak to someone or leave a message?

This happen to me at Hyper Audio in Katy Tx. The technician scratched the rear passenger side and instructed me to close the rear driver side door while the window was still engaged, scratching the second trim piece. Of course he didn’t acknowledge scratching the passenger side. I paid Tesla for the repair, $170 each piece of trim and $70 labor to install both. Costly lesson learned to not trust shops that do not specialize in Tesla and employ unprofessional technicians.

The tintshop I used scratched my trim. I even explained to them about not closing the door. They also said they could install tint in one piece. Picked up car all I got was a scratched piece of trim and two pieces to do the back window.🤬

The tintshop I used scratched my trim. I even explained to them about not closing the door. They also said they could install tint in one piece. Picked up car all I got was a scratched piece of trim and two pieces to do the back window.🤬
What are they going to do?

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.