Make sure your tint shops don’t scratch the chrome trim surrounding the windows

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This happened to mine today. How do I bring it up to the tint shop?
I actually brought it up with mine before they even started the job, even though they have already done several Model 3’s.

They taped up all the chrome with green tape, I’m not sure so much to protect it or just as a reminder to not hit it.

I will also remind them about getting water behind the dash if I take it back to get the front windshield done.

Better safe than sorry

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wish I read this before dropping my car off. Happened to me but they replaced the entire chrome trim the next day.

You would think this isn’t a model 3 only issue.

Pin this post!
Good point — now pinned!

It’s not a Tesla only issue, but I think the majority (not all) frameless windows are usually found in convertibles so it’s not a problem there.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So just got back from Tesla 40 for the part and 35 for labor plus taxes. Not bad overall ended up going back to the original tint shop with this forum post and the paper work from Tesla they owned up and going to reimburse me for it.
What???? My tint shop did the exact same thing, but I paid around $400 to Tesla's mobile service guy! What the hell??? (No, the tint guys didn't cover it, because we instead worked out a deal where they did ceramic coating across the whole car instead, in trade payment)

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What???? My tint shop did the exact same thing, but I paid around $400 to Tesla's mobile service guy! What the hell??? (No, the tint guys didn't cover it, because we instead worked out a deal where they did ceramic coating across the whole car instead, in trade payment)
How much would ceramic coating have cost you?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Upcharge for Mobile Service? @Duy said "just got back from Tesla" indicates he went to the SC

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Duy youre saying $75 total to replace the chrome trim around the window? I paid $212....

Duy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah weird my second tint shop made them same mistake just reached out to my last week to get a copy of my receipt and got same pricing. The part itself was only 40. I was surprised how cheap the labor was to be honest. But I did bring it to the service center in Dublin Ca

@Duy youre saying $75 total to replace the chrome trim around the window? I paid $212....

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah weird my second tint shop made them same mistake just reached out to my last week to get a copy of my receipt and got same pricing. The part itself was only 40. I was surprised how cheap the labor was to be honest. But I did bring it to the service center in Dublin Ca
Thanks for confirming, I'll ask my service rep about it!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had service double check on this for me and they confirmed....

Part $170
Labor $30
Tax $12 (6%)

$212 is right.

I guess you got a deal... but I don't understand the inconsistent pricing.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine was replaced today.

Part $170
Labor $30
Tax $16 (8%? Even though Michigan is 6%?)
Total $216

Okiki

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also got the same scratch on the window trim. Tesla service center confirms total replacement cost is less than $100. I am located at bay area. Guess shipping the part makes a big difference.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also got the same scratch on the window trim. Tesla service center confirms total replacement cost is less than $100. I am located at bay area. Guess shipping the part makes a big difference.
Bizarre — it can’t be $100 to ship the part :(

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just had mine tinted. The scratch is near the right side rear view mirror. It doesn't seem like it could be from forgetting to lower the window before closing.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just had mine tinted. The scratch is near the right side rear view mirror. It doesn't seem like it could be from forgetting to lower the window before closing.
I’m not sure where it might catch on the front door. One simple test to confirm though, pop open the door, click the door catch mechanism until the window goes back up, and slowly close the door to see where it hits the chrome. Of course don’t actually do it and make things worse though. Pull back the door, push on the exterior door handle, and the window will drop again allowing you to close the door.