Maintenance Plans - Yes, DIY or in part

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

What do you guys think about maintenance and how this applies to the Model 3?

• Total voters

ModFather

old CARmudgeon
Country
Country
No no, I didn't mean I would bring it in for random inspections. I said you want bring in your car whenever you want implying for break fix under warranty.
Okay, I understand, but what if the warranty issue is caused by a lack of preventive maintenance not done by DIY? My understanding from the MS guys is Tesla does a lot more in a service check than the simple list presented above. Tesla could logically deny a warranty claim for something that was neglected or overlooked by DIY. I'm not saying they would, but the last thing I want to do is get in a pi$$ing match with my local Service Center about warranty work. If I have Tesla do all the service work, then they are responsible for ALL warranty issues that might come up plus I then qualify for the ESA. Hopefully this is all a mute point if Tesla comes up with a service plan for the model 3 that is more competitive with other brands of ICE.

BMW isn't giving you a lot "for free" in that ultimate service. All said, it probably has a value of a few hundred tops. Moreover it's built into the price of the car.
Well actually everything is included that should be done during first 100 000km / 5 years. Excluding tires.
If it is built into the price of the vehicle then vehicle itself is cheaper. And it doesn't even matter.
Model 3 buyers will sum up vehicle price, insurance price, service price and running costs into one average monthly expense.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well actually everything is included that should be done during first 100 000km / 5 years. Excluding tires.
If it is built into the price of the vehicle then vehicle itself is cheaper. And it doesn't even matter.
Model 3 buyers will sum up vehicle price, insurance price, service price and running costs into one average monthly expense.
This might vary by market as the link posted suggested 3 years/36,000 (miles) for the plan, which was highly limited. It also depends which 3 series you compare to the Model 3.

I would suggest Model 3 compares to a 330i and not a 320i. Well in the US the 330i starts at $38,750 ($3,750 more than Model 3).

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Okay, I understand, but what if the warranty issue is caused by a lack of preventive maintenance not done by DIY? My understanding from the MS guys is Tesla does a lot more in a service check than the simple list presented above. Tesla could logically deny a warranty claim for something that was neglected or overlooked by DIY. I'm not saying they would, but the last thing I want to do is get in a pi$$ing match with my local Service Center about warranty work. If I have Tesla do all the service work, then they are responsible for ALL warranty issues that might come up plus I then qualify for the ESA. Hopefully this is all a mute point if Tesla comes up with a service plan for the model 3 that is more competitive with other brands of ICE.
Yes, you're right... they can deny warranty on a neglected item. I'm not saying I would neglect my car, I'm just saying I don't need to prepay for maintenance at Tesla's rate. I can bring the car to a certified shop for regular maintenance. They are expanding their network of certified shops presumably because there is no shot they can handle all of these cars and because consumers want options. Some will prepay and call it a day. Some will pay each time and call it a day. Others will look for an independent and get the work done at what is likely a fraction of the cost. Tesla would have to prove your car was neglected to be able to deny your warranty claim.

That's all I'm saying.

Besides... aren't these cars supposed to be simpler with fewer moving parts in the end? The preventive maintenance should match that theory.

I would suggest Model 3 compares to a 330i and not a 320i. Well in the US the 330i starts at $38,750 ($3,750 more than Model 3).
Jep, 330i is the closest one.
Here 330i starts at 40100€. Model 3 will be something like 34500€ +20% = 41400€ (our vehicle prices are always with VAT).
But I must be clear that to make those two at least somewhat comparable, 330i must add auto gearbox for 2100€.
So the price is pretty close if we consider BMW has all services included. Shorter mileage though.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
They only have certified body shops, not routine maintenance and don't think I've seen anything indicating that is changing.
I thought that was the plan, but could be mistaken. I would definitely be cautious then for sure. What's the saying... penny wise, dollar foolish. I don't want that to be me ;)

Van Shrider

In this video, Sahil goes through the costs of owning a Tesla S. there are a few things there that I hadn't thought about yet.
He also talks about the paint being unique or as he says "soft" and it should only be hand washed.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
BMW isn't giving you a lot "for free" in that ultimate service. All said, it probably has a value of a few hundred tops. Moreover it's built into the price of the car.
I agree the service plan is only giving you a few hundred of Do-It-Yourself dollars. But clearly it is a few thousand pay-the-dealership dollars. Wether you consider the price built in, well that depends on how much cash you blow on the car. BMW has plenty of great cars for 33 grand. You can of course easily spec them up in the 70s and 100s.

It's very nice for many people that do not have any interest or ability in car maintenance to know that for the first several years at least, they literally do not have to worry about any expense or decision.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree the service plan is only giving you a few hundred of Do-It-Yourself dollars. But clearly it is a few thousand pay-the-dealership dollars. Wether you consider the price built in, well that depends on how much cash you blow on the car. BMW has plenty of great cars for 33 grand. You can of course easily spec them up in the 70s and 100s.

It's very nice for many people that do not have any interest or ability in car maintenance to know that for the first several years at least, they literally do not have to worry about any expense or decision.
Yes, but my point was that the Model 3 is a base of $35k. I think the comparable 3 series (330i) starts at $38k. So if you want the Tesla maintenance plan, you can get it and still come in cheaper than the 330i.

PcGuy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm not sure this was discussed...if the S and X come in at $2,325 and $2,400 for maintenance for 4 years, what do you think the 3 will be? Due to the large price difference I would say around $2,000. That still feels too expensive to me. Although I'm still thinking about the cost of my current ICE.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm not sure this was discussed...if the S and X come in at $2,325 and $2,400 for maintenance for 4 years, what do you think the 3 will be? Due to the large price difference I would say around $2,000. That still feels too expensive to me. Although I'm still thinking about the cost of my current ICE.
Yeah that was my thought... right in the $2,000 range. Yes the car is cheaper and simpler, but generally speaking they're looking at the same parts and the time of the technicians is the same as would be the bill rate so it can't be much cheaper.

2000 is not acceptable. Like we just discussed, BMW offers all inclusive service (at least all inclusive in EU). And that definitely is not near 2000 pricepoint. More like 1000€.

I splitted the pricing of that plan up:

coolant change 125$
AC decc with refill + brake fluid + cabin filter 250$
driveunit oil check/refill 0$ (like I said, this is not a thing that should be done anyway)
wiper blades + multipoint inspection + key battery + alignment check/adjust 475$

Coolant change 125$ - this is exactly correct price for coolant and work
Brake fluid change - fluid with work should be around 30-60$,
cabin filter with work should be around 30-40$ (non-HEPA)
That leaves AC refill and desiccant bag, 160$. Refill should be like 40-70$ (though they should reuse the gas). Desiccant should not cost more than 100$. So estimations are good enough.
Driveunit oil level check should be in the multipoint inspection, oil change should not be happening on the first 3-4 years.
Wiper blades with labor is around 40-60$, fob battery with labor 10$, alignment check/adjustment 60-100$ for labor.
This leaves multipoint inspection 325$. That is A LOT. No less than 6 hours of labor which is definitely not happening.

For model 3 my estimations:
coolant change 100$ - same interval, 4 years, 8 years...
AC desicc with refill - not happening
brake fluid 50$ - 2 years, 4 years, 6 years..
driveunit oil refill - after 4-5 years, 100$
wiper blades - not in service plan, though costs like 40-50$
key battery - not in the plan, get it from Walmart or Tesla 10$
cabin filter - every 2 year, 30$ with labor
alignment check/adjust - not in the plan, though 100$ if requested/seen on tire wear
Multi point inspection - I hope somewhere between 100-150$ to be competitive with others.
Rotation - free with multipoint inspection (wheels are removed, just put them back to opposite side)
Somewhere between year 5-7 TPMS sensors need to be changed. That's around 180$ plus labor 30-50$

Year1: 100$
Year2: 100+50+30$
Year3: 100$
Year4: 100+100+50+30$
Year5: 100+100$
Year6: 100+50+30$

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
2000 is not acceptable. Like we just discussed, BMW offers all inclusive service (at least all inclusive in EU). And that definitely is not near 2000 pricepoint. More like 1000€.

I splitted the pricing of that plan up:

coolant change 125$
AC decc with refill + brake fluid + cabin filter 250$
driveunit oil check/refill 0$ (like I said, this is not a thing that should be done anyway)
wiper blades + multipoint inspection + key battery + alignment check/adjust 475$

Coolant change 125$ - this is exactly correct price for coolant and work
Brake fluid change - fluid with work should be around 30-60$,
cabin filter with work should be around 30-40$ (non-HEPA)
That leaves AC refill and desiccant bag, 160$. Refill should be like 40-70$ (though they should reuse the gas). Desiccant should not cost more than 100$. So estimations are good enough.
Driveunit oil level check should be in the multipoint inspection, oil change should not be happening on the first 3-4 years.
Wiper blades with labor is around 40-60$, fob battery with labor 10$, alignment check/adjustment 60-100$ for labor.
This leaves multipoint inspection 325$. That is A LOT. No less than 6 hours of labor which is definitely not happening.

For model 3 my estimations:
coolant change 100$ - same interval, 4 years, 8 years...
AC desicc with refill - not happening
brake fluid 50$ - 2 years, 4 years, 6 years..
driveunit oil refill - after 4-5 years, 100$
wiper blades - not in service plan, though costs like 40-50$
key battery - not in the plan, get it from Walmart or Tesla 10$
cabin filter - every 2 year, 30$ with labor
alignment check/adjust - not in the plan, though 100$ if requested/seen on tire wear
Multi point inspection - I hope somewhere between 100-150$ to be competitive with others.
Rotation - free with multipoint inspection (wheels are removed, just put them back to opposite side)
Somewhere between year 5-7 TPMS sensors need to be changed. That's around 180$ plus labor 30-50$

Year1: 100$
Year2: 100+50+30$
Year3: 100$
Year4: 100+100+50+30$
Year5: 100+100$
Year6: 100+50+30$
You just made the point why Tesla's plan is better than BMW's plan. Tesla's plan is optional. If it's unacceptable don't buy it. BMW's plan is factored into the price of the car. You're paying for it whether you use it or not. If you do DIY work or prefer an independent shop, now you're double paying.

I can only speak in terms of US dollars, but again the 330i which is the closest equivalent to the Model 3 starts at $38k, while the Model 3 starts at $35k.

I always prefer having the choice over having something forced on me.

I always prefer having the choice over having something forced on me.
You like the illusion of choice.. Actually you don't have a choice.
Stealerships take money in uncontrolled fashion (US specific problem). having service plan integrated into the price of the vehicle solves that problem.

Tesla recommended service is somewhat misguiding. You have to get new cabin air filter after a year or two. It's not a choice. If OEM solution is not expensive, why fight and DIY?
Brake fluid should be changed every 2-4 years. Though nothing will happen, on surface, but it must be changed.
Coolant should be changed. It's not your choice would you like it or not. You bought the vehicle you are RESPONSIBLE
for keeping it safe (road legal). There is no choice not to service the brakes even if it is not required by warranty.

Some say changing cabin air filter has nothing to do with vehicle's safety. Wrong. Some say changing wiper blades has nothing to do with safety.. Wrong. Some say lots of things. Most of them do not know the heck they talk about.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You like the illusion of choice.. Actually you don't have a choice.
Stealerships take money in uncontrolled fashion (US specific problem). having service plan integrated into the price of the vehicle solves that problem.

Tesla recommended service is somewhat misguiding. You have to get new cabin air filter after a year or two. It's not a choice. If OEM solution is not expensive, why fight and DIY?
Brake fluid should be changed every 2-4 years. Though nothing will happen, on surface, but it must be changed.
Coolant should be changed. It's not your choice would you like it or not. You bought the vehicle you are RESPONSIBLE
for keeping it safe (road legal). There is no choice not to service the brakes even if it is not required by warranty.

Some say changing cabin air filter has nothing to do with vehicle's safety. Wrong. Some say changing wiper blades has nothing to do with safety.. Wrong. Some say lots of things. Most of them do not know the heck they talk about.
We will have to agree to disagree. If I'm not paying for it upfront of course I have a choice.

JRP3

Country
Country
You have to get new cabin air filter after a year or two. It's not a choice. If OEM solution is not expensive, why fight and DIY?
I'm sorry but that is complete nonsense. I've gone far more than 2 years without changing a cabin air filter with no problems, I've had cars that never had a brake fluid change and never had an issue stopping, and even ICE's with much higher operating temperatures can go more than 5 years with no coolant change. The coolant in an EV should last even longer. Tesla's service recommendations are frankly ridiculous.

Yes. And people can get along without visiting a dentist for 5 years and not losing any teeth.
Few examples mean nothing.
You can also not change secondary air filter on your vacuum cleaner and it will still suck.
You can also not change engine oil for 3-4 years and it will be fine.
You can also not change coolant for 5 years and it will be fine.

But you don't see things that really happen.
How much do you know about corrosion inhibitors, about mold or copper corrosion?
Vehicle, on average, lasts for 15-25 years.

We will have to agree to disagree. If I'm not paying for it upfront of course I have a choice.
Yes. Your choice is between paying for keeping it working or paying for making it work again after it breaks down.
So choice is between paying sooner and paying later.
You can also get rid of the problem (car) before it breaks down. This is the most awesome way to deal with it.
Ruin it and then make it someone else's problem.