M3 stops when I'm backing up!

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats! Your the only person I've ever heard of that needs to lift themselves out of their seat in order to back up instead of using shoulder checks and the giant screen in front of you :tearsofjoy:
Oh no, I do this too when I'm going in reverse. I actually lift myself off the seat to turn around enough to have a good view behind me.
Notice your the only one having this problem?
The solution is to either be careful to keep some weight on the seat, or keep your seat belt on. I adjusted my habits to keep the car happy - it's not that big of a deal.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats! Your the only person I've ever heard of that needs to lift themselves out of their seat in order to back up instead of using shoulder checks and the giant screen in front of you :tearsofjoy:

Notice your the only one having this problem?
To be totally fair -- I too have had this happen a few times, and it's specifically the action of lifting my weight to reach the seat belt that causes the rollaway protection. The irony.

I also understand what OP is saying - not that it's necessarily bad, just that it's a bit aggressive. I too would like it to be a fraction of a second slower to go into e-stop mode.
Slippery slope: Saying that the car must enforce the law is ugly. "no seat belt no go" quickly turns into "speed limit is x, don't ever speed".

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Slippery slope: Saying that the car must enforce the law is ugly. "no seat belt no go" quickly turns into "speed limit is x, don't ever speed".
But it doesn't enforce the law. It drives without a seatbelt on. It lets you go above the speed limit, even with autopilot.
It's just one of Tesla's many thoughtful features of putting the car into park when the driver is not present to prevent the car from rolling away (or over someone). A nice thoughtful feature really if you've ever seen a car unintentionally roll away. And it is much more likely because there is no physical park position, no ignition, and no noisy engine to tell if it is "running." I'd much rather have a feature be occasionally annoying while I learn how to slightly adapt my ways to a new car, then to ever have the car roll over someone's foot.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But it doesn't enforce the law. It drives without a seatbelt on. It lets you go above the speed limit, even with autopilot.
It's just one of Tesla's many thoughtful features of putting the car into park when the driver is not present to prevent the car from rolling away (or over someone). A nice thoughtful feature really if you've ever seen a car unintentionally roll away. And it is much more likely because there is no physical park position, no ignition, and no noisy engine to tell if it is "running." I'd much rather have a feature be occasionally annoying while I learn how to slightly adapt my ways to a new car, then to ever have the car roll over someone's foot.
Absolutely. Not sure if I replied in the right context -- the person quoting the arizona law is the 'weak' example I wanted to counter.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Absolutely. Not sure if I replied in the right context -- the person quoting the arizona law is the 'weak' example I wanted to counter.
Because heaven forbid we follow the law of the land we live in.

Thanks though. Next time I'll do more than spend one second googling a seat belt law and copy/pasting to satisfy all the depths of which you want to get into about this non-issue...

No I won't.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This may be an overreaction post? But I have to say when I first heard this I was really PO'ed at Jeep/FCA for their very stupid transmission operation/design and it's reasons like that, I suppose, that Tesla falls on the conservative side..

Jeep still in reverse
You realize that that "very stupid" transmission operation / design is in reality very, very similar to the design in our Model 3's, right?

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You realize that that "very stupid" transmission operation / design is in reality very, very similar to the design in our Model 3's, right?
Well maybe, I don't agree it's as non-obvious as the FCA cause it's a push in of the stalk etc... but regardless, it would explain the car's insistence on a butt in the seat else stop behavior..

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well maybe, I don't agree it's as non-obvious as the FCA cause it's a push in of the stalk etc... but regardless, it would explain the car's insistence on a butt in the seat else stop behavior..
The FCA joystick style was lifted pretty much lock stock and barrel from the Audi's using the same transmission. It's also very similar to other joystick style shifters, especially BMW's.

All of those use a button to put the vehicle in park. None of them, to my knowledge, use a lever movement. I'm not sure how people get confused by them, but they do, as evidenced by this story above and countless others. I'm sure people have also gotten confused by Tesla shifters over the years as well (a design borrowed directly from Mercedes, of course, including the actual hardware in the S and X).

But yes, this is the reason that we have the auto park interlocks now. Volvo's will also put the car in park if you open the door, and not let you drive with the door open.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We seem to be forgetting that there is another solution: sit in your seat.
You don't need the seatbelt on. Just sit down.

Those "dumb" Tesla engineers gave you TWO options. They even gave you a giant screen to make it easier.
Yeah, the vehicles these days make it harder and harder to "Turn Around" when backing up. with high trunk and thicker and thicker pillars.
You can see more using the 3 mirrors, all the ultrasonic sensor distances, and the backup camera than you can see when "turning around".

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This has been happening to me very often and I absolutely hate it!
While I'm backing up, I always turn around to look in the rear and the car thinks I'm not there, and puts the car into park! Right in the middle of the street! WTF!
I get it... I understand the whole passenger detection thing, but this is overboard, overkill. It is just too much thinking, and it annoys me. Oh and I've been having to do this more and more since I get the black screen when I'm in reverse! WTF!
If Anton Yelchin's Jeep had had this feature, he'd still be alive.

RIP, Chekov.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never done the "look over my shoulder and spring up off the seat with no seat belt to look behind me," but I do start to step out of the car with it in Drive probably at least once or twice a week when I'm in a hurry. So I'd prefer more, not less, autoparkificiation.

MJJ

I've never done the "look over my shoulder and spring up off the seat with no seat belt to look behind me," but I do start to step out of the car with it in Drive probably at least once or twice a week when I'm in a hurry. So I'd prefer more, not less, autoparkificiation.
Doesn’t it go into park auto-magically when you open the door?

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, again, you're wrong. You probably don't have a technical background. Engineering is all about figuring how to do things smarter, and yes, solving this problem is pretty simple without having to put on the seatbelt.
This is probably good for about 50-100 internet points on r/iamverysmart if anyone wants to take it.