M3 in the South Surrey Garage

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi and greetings from Surrey British Columbia,

Finally got my wife out of the 2004 Honda Civic, been trying for years to get her into a fast Volvo Sedan, but it was the Model 3 that did it. We (she) picked up our (her) model 3 in early December and have been having fun with it since.

I've been a volvo wagon man since 1991 - mainly 245s - but I have to admit I'm loving the model 3. If there was a tesla with a hitch that could fit into my garage i'd snap it up (X is bigger than my current V70). More practically, our second car (when I replace the V70) is likely to be a plug-in hybrid as a power outage (i've had a few) still leaves us with a drivable car. Same reason why my stove is gas burners and electric oven - I only need one utility to have there act in gear for me to cook. Just need Volvo to up their game and bring the V70 plug-in hybrid over to North America.

We've done all weather frunk and interior mat, locking wheel nuts, aero wheel cap kit, front license plate frame, fob and nomad charger. I'll be getting a second set of rims with Michelin X-Ice winters, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bought EAP with the car and upgraded to FSD a couple of weeks back. Only regret is not getting AWD. My V70 is AWD and I really like that in combination with the X-Ice tires.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would be interested in just how much difference there is in performance between the RWD Tesla and the AWD Volvo. I have been surprised how well the RWS faction control works. However, I live where rain is the big issue.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Greetings fellow canuckistanian.
I have the AWD and drove through your neck of the woods back in October. Definitely felt the awesome grip of the awd as snow started being troublesome. Anecdotes around the forum say that the car's weight means RWD is steadfast even in winter( on the right rubber).

Welcome to the club and look forward to hearing your adventures!

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks guys.

the AWD version has a third level up in acceleration settions, RWD gets "standard" and "chill" only. i set mine to chill for the most part, eating too much energy otherwise. My wife uses standard and uses as much energy as I for the same trip. I think my driving style is more aggressive than hers.

We've done one long trip, day trip to Seattle and charged up in linnville at Fred Meyer's and then in Burlington while having supper at Bob's Burgers. didn't need to do that, could have lived with one charge only but we were apprehensive.

This May i'm going to take it over the Cascades to Kelowna and back for a meeting. Should be interesting.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
More practically, our second car (when I replace the V70) is likely to be a plug-in hybrid as a power outage (i've had a few) still leaves us with a drivable car. Same reason why my stove is gas burners and electric oven - I only need one utility to have there act in gear for me to cook.
Gas pumps don't work when the electricity's out.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't like it [likely] anymore than you, but gas infrastructure is still better than EV, any CCS/ChaDemo better than Tesla.

Gas pumps are readily available at work or around the neighbourhood. Yes, they need electricity too, but if the entire region is blacked out for days we have bigger problems.

before I got the 240 plug installed, charging the car was ... painful. the only chargers around that weren't CCS or ChaDemo (ie: weren't J1772) were 6W and a good distance. Once I plugged the M3 into the 110v at home and the display said "+24hrs" -- ouch. Next morning I was up at 4 to get to the supercharger on the other side of the city to make sure my wife had a charge for work that morning. So if my house is out of juice for a day or two (has happened), i'd be snookered again for charging.

sigh

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't like it [likely] anymore than you, but gas infrastructure is still better than EV,
True. When you said about a utility "acting up", I assumed you were talking about power outages affecting charging.

any CCS/ChaDemo better than Tesla.
Really?

Down here in the states, CCS and CHAdeMO networks are pathetic compared to the Tesla Supercharger network.
I guess Tesla needs to get in gear and fill out more of BC.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my 3(LRD) in September. Still haven’t supercharged, even though there’s a new-ish one (urban) at Guildford.

As a former Leaf owner, the CCS / CHAdeMo situation in our neck of the woods sucks. Certainly not something you can rely on, because if you do, when you roll in it’ll either be broken or occupied with a vehicle and no owner in sight.

I’ve read rumours of a possible Supercharger in South Surrey.

Would really appreciate a service centre south of the river.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use the Guildford supercharger quite a but, but it is a 30 - 45 minute drive across the city. I don't always have an hour or more (plus charge time) to supercharge, but fortunately a lot of the stores we use are at guildford so I tie it into a trip. CCS/CHAdeMo seem to be more prevalent where I am. Cloverdale, Grandview corners, 168/96t (ie: any and all of the BCHydro ones) plus all the ones at Petro Canada Stations being installed. The J1772 at the Surrey works yard is low amps, although I did get a reasonable charge speed at the Grandview Surrey aquatics centre back in January (was a bit nippy moving the car after the charge as I was still in my swim suit).

I've heard about the south surrey SuperCharger rumour, but nothing more. No permits on supercharge.info and with the Pacific centre install in holding pattern for weeks now, I have no expectations of the south surrey happening soon.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mark - have you used roadside yet? The service center on 4th is only a few blocks from where I work so I can drop the car off when I'm at work, but that's a bit of a lucky spot for me.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
CCS/CHAdeMo seem to be more prevalent where I am. Cloverdale, Grandview corners, 168/96t (ie: any and all of the BCHydro ones) plus all the ones at Petro Canada Stations being installed. The J1772 at the Surrey works yard is low amps, although I did get a reasonable charge speed at the Grandview Surrey aquatics centre back in January (was a bit nippy moving the car after the charge as I was still in my swim suit).
I'm in Cloverdale, and couldn't rely on the CHAdeMo's in the area when I was driving my Leaf-- they were all single car capabilities. Didn't really need it as I used level 2 at work, and 110v at home (until I got my Level 2 wired/installed).

The one time I truly needed a charging solution was on the way to trade in my Leaf for my Model 3. I was at Coquitlam Centre and the J1772 there (GE Watt Station) caused error codes on my Leaf. Didn't know what was occurring... so I headed to the BCHydro CCS/CHAdeMo at Superstore in Coquitlam -- and the sole CCS/CHAdeMo was in use by a Mitsubishi SUV PHEV -- and would be there for another 40 minutes. Turned out to be a non-issue and turning off/turning on again made the error go away.

I've heard about the south surrey SuperCharger rumour, but nothing more. No permits on supercharge.info and with the Pacific centre install in holding pattern for weeks now, I have no expectations of the south surrey happening soon.
While SuperCharge.Info is great, it's only as good as the information it's fed. On Supercharge.info, the Guildford location went from permit to open in about 2 weeks!

Mark - have you used roadside yet? The service center on 4th is only a few blocks from where I work so I can drop the car off when I'm at work, but that's a bit of a lucky spot for me.
No -- but I've seen a few Ranger vehicles. I sure see a lot of Tesla's in the area now, and have for a while -- especially South Surrey/White Rock. Tesla doesn't need another sales location (which would be more pricey) -- purely service (so exact location isn't as critical). Langely, maybe? Would cover owners from Delta to Abbotsford, as well as the eastern portions Greater Vancouver north of the river, such as Poco, Maple Ridge., etc. Wishful thinking, I know!

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mark we are practically neighbours. gonna have to get together for a beverage of some sort. We're the midnight silver with wheel caps instead of aero hubcaps.