firewall-of-tesla-m3-png.3953

tesla-m3-frunk-side-of-fire-wall-png.3954
firewall-of-tesla-m3-cabin-side-png.3955
firewall-of-tesla-m3-cabin-side-png.3955
tesla-m3-firewall-with-dash-installation-in-progress-png.3956
tesla-m3-computer-png.3957
tesla-m3-whole-in-floor-under-rear-seat-for-battery-accessories-png.3958
tesla-m3-front-structural-members-and-wheel-linkages-png.3959

Firewall is very important to the design and build of the M3. A lot of equipment is hung off both sides of it. The main computer can be seen on the inside of the firewall, it is not mounted in the dash, but covered by it. There is a big hole in the floor of the car for the battery ancillary equipment to project through. Behind the front bumper there is a beam in the shape of a 'K' on its side (half of the 'K' shown in the bottom image. This 'K' strengthens the front of the car and appears to connect to some of the wheel linkages. Tesla has focused on creating large sub-assemblies to simplify final assembly. The largest assembly must be the battery pack and the ancillary equipment which projects through the floor and sits under the rear seat. A lot of effort has gone to create a space for the frunk. I think it better to turn the battery around 180 degrees and put all the accessory equipment in one package in the front of the car. The frunk generally carries no more than the charging leads - it just needs a shallow pocket.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hard to tell at this time because we can't see inside the front frunk bottom but it appears they've moved more components onto the firewall that are usually present in the floor of the frunk on the Model S. In due time we'll get to see how they packaged it

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hard to tell at this time because we can't see inside the front frunk bottom but it appears they've moved more components onto the firewall that are usually present in the floor of the frunk on the Model S. In due time we'll get to see how they packaged it
unfortunately, probably with the first totaled one

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
you then, I nominate to discover where the OBDII is hidden (as until I see a total teardown I am denying it's not there) ;)
Myself as well! After all I bought the SnapnGo OBD power connector for Blackvue and verified it works. Apparently it may be for sale!