M3 Charge speed reduced

Austin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have an issue with Level 2 charging? I've wired situation for the charging process

I got an error message "Charge speed reduced, unplug and try again" on charging process.

I tried to unplug and plug, and changed the charging stations. I still have the same situation. (Chargepoint)
There is voltage but 0 or 1 ampere around 5 minutes then I can get only 12 amperes.
But the next day, I can get 22 amperes from the same charging station.
Bottom line is I can get good or not good amperes even it's same charging station.

I tried the charging process from home and other places. I had no issue till now.

Please advise what I need to do this. I already contacted chargepoint help desk, they said their charging station does not have any issue.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a little confused by your post. Can you clarify a few things?

Where is this charger? At your home, or at some other location?
How are you measuring voltage and current? Do you have a meter, or are you just reporting what the car shows you?

Austin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View media item 817
Sorry for tje not enough information.

The charger location is LA downtown (ChargePoint)
As a dash board picture, I can see the Voltage. It was 213.
Ampere was up and down between 0 to 1. finally I got "Charge speed reduced, unplug and try again" error.

After I found the issue, My friend used the location, he got full ampere as 22.

Please advise.

Bubs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have an issue with Level 2 charging? I've wired situation for the charging process

I got an error message "Charge speed reduced, unplug and try again" on charging process.

I tried to unplug and plug, and changed the charging stations. I still have the same situation. (Chargepoint)
There is voltage but 0 or 1 ampere around 5 minutes then I can get only 12 amperes.
But the next day, I can get 22 amperes from the same charging station.
Bottom line is I can get good or not good amperes even it's same charging station.

I tried the charging process from home and other places. I had no issue till now.

Please advise what I need to do this. I already contacted chargepoint help desk, they said their charging station does not have any issue.
I also have this issue! Does your model 3 have internet service? I brought this up with customer service and they said it is a possibility since I park my model 3 underground with no service. They couldn't locate my vehicle when i called about this issue since it was parked underground at the time. My voltage fluctuates between 0-10 amps. Have you tried pushing the charger up? i found that the weight of the charger after being plugged into the adapter forces the charger to sag

ClearDarkSky

Country
Country
I have this problem. The car gives an error message.
"Charge speed reduced, unplug and try again. If the problem persists call Service”.
I tested it many times at home and at a tesla destination charger. The problem is exactly same every time. It starts charging at 40A or (48A at the destination charger) and after a while the car reduces it to 32A and gives me that error message.
If I set the limit to 32amps I don't get that error. I have contacted service and have an appointment.. I live 100 km from the nearest tesla service place. They did not offer mobile service, so I have to spend a day to get it fixed.

Supercharging works as it should.
I am not using the UMC.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@ClearDarkSky - have you tried with the UMC? I am guessing that you have a wall mount at home. you said no problems with supercharging - Hope, Guilford or Tswassen Mills? My original UMC had an issue. If you like you could swing by (i'm just about on the way from chilliwack and Vancouver if you divert a bit) and check on my wall outlet with a UMC and see if the problem is the same. If it is, then the car is likely suspect. If it is not the same then it points more to your wall mount charger.

I am surprised that Tesla hasn't asked for a time check on the failed charge so that they can remotely download logs and see what is in the logs. When I had the issue that is what pointed to the UMC - testing it at the service centre did nothing to help because they run the 15-40 at 208 not 240 and my UMC failed at 240 but was fine at 208 so I had a problem that only occurred at home and could not be replicated at the SC.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@ClearDarkSky - have you tried with the UMC? I am guessing that you have a wall mount at home. you said no problems with supercharging - Hope, Guilford or Tswassen Mills? My original UMC had an issue. If you like you could swing by (i'm just about on the way from chilliwack and Vancouver if you divert a bit) and check on my wall outlet with a UMC and see if the problem is the same. If it is, then the car is likely suspect. If it is not the same then it points more to your wall mount charger.

I am surprised that Tesla hasn't asked for a time check on the failed charge so that they can remotely download logs and see what is in the logs. When I had the issue that is what pointed to the UMC - testing it at the service centre did nothing to help because they run the 15-40 at 208 not 240 and my UMC failed at 240 but was fine at 208 so I had a problem that only occurred at home and could not be replicated at the SC.
the Model 3's UMC max is 32A, so if the issue is not there when charging up to 32A I don't think that would help identify the problem.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tested it many times at home and at a tesla destination charger.
Ok, good, you appear to have ruled out any particular EVSE, as well as ruled out the J1772 adapter as the culprit. The only thing left is the car's built-in AC charger.
I have contacted service and have an appointment.
They should be able to fix this for you. Good luck!

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe that one reason that you may see the error is that the car has been monitoring the line voltage and noticed a significant enough drop as charging current increases. This is an indication that something on the circuit is not capable of handling the current and therefore will be heating beyond normal expectations (i.e. the car is trying to keep a fire from occurring).
Extension cords are common culprits. A plug that is not having a good contact is another.

Espoo 547

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same AC charging problem. Charging work well for most of the time but especially when I try to have a full charge ( longer trip ahead) I get this message. It also complains about low quality grid. The quality of the grid is most likely not the problem as this has appened in many locations including Tesla servises own type 2 charger to which my M3 was connected when the car was delivered to me. I had my car ”in service” but they did not do anything else that saying it was a firmware problem and it is now fixed. Well the firmw@re did not fiz the problem. This is also not very locigal as a firware problem would most like be effecting quite many other users. I would assume this is a hardware issue.

Did you get you problem solved?

ClearDarkSky

Country
Country
I have the same AC charging problem. Charging work well for most of the time but especially when I try to have a full charge ( longer trip ahead) I get this message. It also complains about low quality grid. The quality of the grid is most likely not the problem as this has appened in many locations including Tesla servises own type 2 charger to which my M3 was connected when the car was delivered to me. I had my car ”in service” but they did not do anything else that saying it was a firmware problem and it is now fixed. Well the firmw@re did not fiz the problem. This is also not very locigal as a firware problem would most like be effecting quite many other users. I would assume this is a hardware issue.

Did you get you problem solved?
This sounds a bit different than my problem. e.g. It does not matter what the state of charge is to start with when I plug it in and it always reduces to the same current of 32A.
My appointment is tomorrow so, I will post the outcome when it is done.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just chiming in to add that I had the same issue. I was limited to 32A on AC charging. They replaced the PCS (power conversion system) and all good. Have heard of this happening with standard 32A charger as well where they were reduced to 16A. Supercharging would not be affected by this. Apparently they change the PCS out through the penthouse under the rear seat.

PaulK

Country
Country
I got this error today. Tried at two different "destination chargers" plus my home (40A) Juicebox, same error at all 3. Have an appointment next week. I'll report back about the fix.