LTE connection dropping, service said normal

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TOFLYIN

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So had to call my local Tesla service centre again due to the LTE service crapping out again and here is what they told me..
1) The service will improve when I pay for the premium connectivity service. I explained that I thought I had that as I received my car before July 1st and that it was my understanding that anyone that ordered before that date had the premium service. He said no. So who is wrong.
2) The service guy said it is perfectly acceptable to lose connectivity for up to 10 min a couple of times a day! I said not likely and that it was not acceptable. I am losing connectivity for up to 55 min at a time, so no streaming music or traffic updates. He then told me that he had hundreds of M3 come in with the same issue and we just have to accept it! I don't think so, so who is wrong?
3) I said that maybe an update will minimize the issue, and since I don't have wifi in my parking spot (downtown condo), I will have to come to the service centre to get the update, could I arrange a time. He responded "you will still get the update even if you don't have wifi as the updates come over LTE only map updates come over wifi. So who is wrong?

In short I love my M3, and I love reading these forums. I just wished more Tesla employees read them to see what is really happening.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
1. you are correct in that you retain premium connectivity with your model 3. iirc i thought i read that it was based on your initial deposit time and not when you take delivery (i could be wrong here).

2. i don’t monitor my lte connection but i don’t think i’ve seen it drop off for that long. i too live in a condo and my parking spot does get 1-2 bars of signal via cell service.

3. i’ve gotten all my previous 3 updates over-the-air. i had to request the svc to update me to the latest 2018.26.1 since i waited 3 weeks and it still didn’t push to me. the only update that i know of that has to be done at the svc is the one for the battery management system bootloader update.

I say find a diff svc advisor

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Assuming you’re not in areas with poor service for the carrier selected, the answer does not seem acceptable to me not is it consistent with my experiences. I know they use AT&T in the States, not sure about the carrier in Canada.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So had to call my local Tesla service centre again due to the LTE service crapping out again and here is what they told me..
1) The service will improve when I pay for the premium connectivity service. I explained that I thought I had that as I received my car before July 1st and that it was my understanding that anyone that ordered before that date had the premium service. He said no. So who is wrong.
2) The service guy said it is perfectly acceptable to lose connectivity for up to 10 min a couple of times a day! I said not likely and that it was not acceptable. I am losing connectivity for up to 55 min at a time, so no streaming music or traffic updates. He then told me that he had hundreds of M3 come in with the same issue and we just have to accept it! I don't think so, so who is wrong?
3) I said that maybe an update will minimize the issue, and since I don't have wifi in my parking spot (downtown condo), I will have to come to the service centre to get the update, could I arrange a time. He responded "you will still get the update even if you don't have wifi as the updates come over LTE only map updates come over wifi. So who is wrong?

In short I love my M3, and I love reading these forums. I just wished more Tesla employees read them to see what is really happening.
I agree with @dek526, I don’t think you had a good experienced person on the other end of your call in. I’d call the Fremont customer service number from Tesla’s website.

Or maybe I’m another forum liar! o_O

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
And here's the flipside of the coin.

Tesla is growing at lightning speeds - and that causes growing pains. In some regards, these problems are from understaffing - long wait times, poor or delayed response rates, etc. So hire more people, right? Well, yes, but it takes time to select and train people well. So if you rush hiring and training, you can get the above problem: people answering questions or doing service who don't know what they're talking about.

Whichever side you err on, growing pains will happen. They'll just be of different varieties.

(Above: A liarbird displaying that it doesn't know what it's talking about. Okay, lyrebird, but close enough ;) )

Gavyne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't quite understand the "who is wrong" question. Did someone from the forum suggest you could only get the software update via Wifi? Because that's wrong, you get software update via LTE just fine.

As for the rest of your complaints regarding LTE connection, you should check with other Tesla owners in your area. I'm not familiar with coverage in Canada.

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I was concerned about travelling through low or no coverage areas since our second home is in an area with zero cell service from any carrier for many miles in every direction. I just spent a week out there with the Model 3 and it was fine. Probably the biggest downside is I lost the ability to operate the climate control system remotely. But most cars don't have this feature to begin with so it's not a big deal.

Jason F

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Check your at&t coverage out there. If you have coverage, then it should not be dropping. You just had to order (with nonrefundable deposit) by that date to receive premium connectivity.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Check your at&t coverage out there. If you have coverage, then it should not be dropping. You just had to order (with nonrefundable deposit) by that date to receive premium connectivity.
I agree with this. One thing I've noticed is the Model 3 has really good cell reception as I found out driving to/from our remote cabin. I was getting digital music and satellite maps much further into the "cellular dead zone" than I'm accustomed to with a handset.

I attribute this to the fact that the LTE antenna on the Model 3 is mounted facing skyward through the top of the windshield glass and there is no way for your hand or face to block the signal. It might be a higher gain antenna too since it's not constrained by the form factor of a small handset.

DarrylH

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am seeing the same issue with LTE dropping almost everyday for extended periods of time. Will check with Service here in Toronto to see what they say.

kataleen

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am not entirely sure when this started but it does kind of line up with version 12.1. I used to have perfect connectivity, with 0 drops. Sometime around the beginning of April the car started dropping the LTE connection, and many times I can't see the status of the car via the phone app. This happens in areas of full coverage. I am in Vancouver BC, by the way.
It seems that Tesla tweaked something, perhaps changed the carrier? Sometimes it's quite frustrating since I am streaming often and I have to sit in silence for periods of time until the car gets the connection back. I wouldn't dare listen to FM :cool:.
Anyone else experiencing connection drops recently?