LR RWD not getting 325 mile range anymore

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

Mike

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
For whatever reason, owners seem to be experiencing different levels of battery degradation.
Same here.

I don't have any third party software information to go by, only what the UI tells me.

I also always run my display such that the battery %SOC is always showing.

I'll only confirm my degradation via the 100% rated range once a year, when I'll top the car up to 100% and it no longer accepts a charge AND it is in July (warm battery).

When my car was new (01 Jun 2018) and I checked it's range out once that summer (July 2018) it showed 499 km.

Last July it showed 498 km...

I figure it will probably show somewhere around 480 km this July, based on what other folks are seeing.

TeslaTony310

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wish my battery showed no degradation, everyone wishes the same I'm sure. But I purchased the car knowingly accepting that there might be something close to 30% degradation during the warranty period. At 82K miles my degradation appears to be about 10%, so unless something crazy happens over the next 40K miles, it appears that I'll live out the warranty period with maybe 12-15% degradation. Way better than the level of degradation that I was prepared to accept when I decided to buy the car.
That's great, and I'm happy for you. But I've also got that same amount of degradation at nearly a third of the miles that you do. Unless that amount tapers off, which it hasn't, 2.5 years later, I am going to enter a period where I might need to test the battery warranty. We shall see.

I don't worry about it, other than I notice that it's more than others.

TeslaTony310

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Practically speaking, the only way a Tesla battery ends up with 30% degradation is if there are actually a number of cell failures within the pack. Actual degradation for a Tesla battery is somewhere in the 10-15% range over a car's whole lifetime.

If you actually have a failure that results in getting a new battery, then yes, they only "guarantee" 70% of rated, but in reality a healthy, used battery pack will still be at 85-90%.
I haven't looked at the actual statistics of what Tesla batteries do, but having worked in the cell phone industry for nearly 15 years, most cell batteries are only rated for a few hundred cycles, and lose 20% on the way down there. I'm sure the BMS has a bunch of mitigation tactics to extend that, and coupled with better materials, I'm sure it's much better, but the 30% was arrived at for a specific reason, I imagine, and not just an arbitrary number.

To add to that, I've read on multiple forums that while nothing was tripped and alerted Tesla, people have had bad packs diagnosed, and swapped out, which is why I'm kind of watching where I'm at. Others have reported that Tesla basically told them, "the car will tell us if your pack is bad"

• Informative
Reactions: Mike

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I haven't looked at the actual statistics of what Tesla batteries do, but having worked in the cell phone industry for nearly 15 years, most cell batteries are only rated for a few hundred cycles, and lose 20% on the way down there.
Tesla's battery chemistries are much more robust than those found in consumer electronics (and much more robust than what I had in my Nissan Leaf, grrr).
Additionally, Tesla actively climate controls the batteries, which no cell phone has ever done. All in the name of making sure that they'll last for hundreds of thousands of miles.

tesla-model-s-x-battery-capacity-retention-per-distance-traveled.jpg

TeslaTony310

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla's battery chemistries are much more robust than those found in consumer electronics (and much more robust than what I had in my Nissan Leaf, grrr).
Additionally, Tesla actively climate controls the batteries, which no cell phone has ever done. All in the name of making sure that they'll last for hundreds of thousands of miles.

tesla-model-s-x-battery-capacity-retention-per-distance-traveled.jpg
Is there one for Model 3's yet??

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is there one for Model 3's yet??
I haven't seen one. Keep in mind that the battery chemistry is the same across 3/Y/S/X, even though the packaging is different. But also, Tesla is constantly tweaking the chemistry, so graphs based on older cars are based on older Tesla chemistries.

Reactions: TeslaTony310

vinnie97

Country
Country
If you’re driving on surface streets (under 60 mph) your range is much higher than this rated range. Try driving for 5 miles at the speed you’ll be traveling and check out the Energy app, switch to the Consumption tab and select 5 miles. See that projected range? That’s about how far you can travel at those speeds. If your terrain is more varied, you can switch your distance for up to 30 miles of power usage average to project your remaining range. If you’ve already gotten a sense of your range, this may not be as useful, but it’s important not to get hung up on the rated range number.
I will give that a view (haven't checked it much as of late), but that speed is a bit under par (dangerous, even) for the 2-lane highways out here.

Reactions: Kizzy

tivoboy

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
I just finished up about 1600 miles of road tripping. First full charges in a long time. First one, showed 310, then about 5 SC charging NOT to 100%, then the next overnight to 100% showed 315, which is about as high as I have ever seen (there WAS a time when there was some software update that made it show 325, but that went away well over a year ago). Final 100% is showing 313. so, I think it’s still pretty much in the zone now with just shy of 19K miles.

TeslaTony310

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just finished up about 1600 miles of road tripping. First full charges in a long time. First one, showed 310, then about 5 SC charging NOT to 100%, then the next overnight to 100% showed 315, which is about as high as I have ever seen (there WAS a time when there was some software update that made it show 325, but that went away well over a year ago). Final 100% is showing 313. so, I think it’s still pretty much in the zone now with just shy of 19K miles.
That's great, and definitely still within spec. My car lost another 4 miles in the last month....good times :neutral:

tipton

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've never worried much about the battery in my 2018 RWD but recently things have changed drastically. I charge to 90% and have for years. I had been getting 270 or so miles at 90% for at least a year and a half. Suddenly last week the 90% charge has fallen to around 250 miles with a full charge in the app showing 279 miles. This all happened suddenly and I'm not sure if its a problem of the car not providing the correct actual mileage available or sudden degredation. I'll read through this thread more and see if anyone has any tips on things to try.

TeslaTony310

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've never worried much about the battery in my 2018 RWD but recently things have changed drastically. I charge to 90% and have for years. I had been getting 270 or so miles at 90% for at least a year and a half. Suddenly last week the 90% charge has fallen to around 250 miles with a full charge in the app showing 279 miles. This all happened suddenly and I'm not sure if its a problem of the car not providing the correct actual mileage available or sudden degredation. I'll read through this thread more and see if anyone has any tips on things to try.
I didn't worry either, until I saw this massive drop, which happened WELL after the 1st year, which doesn't match what the general consensus is. Also, it's been slowly going down, which also isn't what the norm supposedly is.

JDM3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I haven't done a full charge in quite some time, but in the app if I move the slider over to 100% charge I get 475km. Just over 3 years old and 174,309 km, I think I'm okay with that.

UPDATE - Actually charged to 100% today (didn't mean to) and got 482km.

Last edited:

TeslaTony310

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My 2018 LW RWD still shows 293 at 100%. I have almost 70k miles, pretty happy with those numbers.
Would love to be there after that many miles. I'm hanging around there already, at half the miles....

Funny enough, my max increased range went UP to 299 with this last firmware update, which means they changed something in the BMS calculation.

• Informative
Reactions: Kizzy and Mike

jdcollins5

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have an August 2018 build LR RWD with 29k miles. I have always maintained somewhere close to the original 310 miles rage. Varying as high as 317 and a low of 305-310.

I have used SMT since the Apple version was released a year or so ago. I normally charge between 40-50% to 80-90% depending on need. I only charge to 100% for and during trips. My range would drift downward if I did not do a 20-100% recalibration charge but was still in the low 300 range. After a 20-100% charge my Nominal Full Pack has been around 70-71 kWh during this time.

After a recent update(s), my range has slowly drifted downward to a 68.5 kWH and a 293 mile range. Multiple 20-90/100% charges has not resulted in the typical drift back up to the 300+ mile range as the BMS recalibrates. It sure looks to me as recent software updates have resulted in a definite step change downward in the Nominal Full Pack and Nominal Full Range values.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike

TeslaTony310

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have an August 2018 build LR RWD with 29k miles. I have always maintained somewhere close to the original 310 miles rage. Varying as high as 317 and a low of 305-310.

I have used SMT since the Apple version was released a year or so ago. I normally charge between 40-50% to 80-90% depending on need. I only charge to 100% for and during trips. My range would drift downward if I did not do a 20-100% recalibration charge but was still in the low 300 range. After a 20-100% charge my Nominal Full Pack has been around 70-71 kWh during this time.

After a recent update(s), my range has slowly drifted downward to a 68.5 kWH and a 293 mile range. Multiple 20-90/100% charges has not resulted in the typical drift back up to the 300+ mile range as the BMS recalibrates. It sure looks to me as recent software updates have resulted in a definite step change downward in the Nominal Full Pack and Nominal Full Range values.
What are you using to read the kWh??

SoCalWine

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That is pretty impressive.. have you tried doing a cycle run to see what the actual peak is, or is this number after something like that?

Based on my driving, I end up charging to 100% and drive below 20% at least once of month. Most of the time I just charge to 80% (240 miles). I also have cruise control set to 77mph on hwy.

Running a cycle has not produced different results previously.