LR RWD not getting 325 mile range anymore

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

fsKotte

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here is a graphical representation of what I've experienced . . . . around 310 range at the outset, then it pops up to around 320, literally starting on that one day when I got the update that was supposed to increase range (which was around 11.5k miles), then over the very last two weeks or so, at the far right of the graph, it goes down over the course of a few days, back to 310, where it's sat now for about a week (that's why it's bright orange, on the very far right, lots of dots right there, each one a day/charge incident).

View attachment 27216
Since I posted this, my last few days have further reflected even lower estimated Rated Range at 100% SOC . . .. I'm now hitting the 305-308 territory. Wonder what they did to the BMS. This is all pretty sudden. In the end, my hunch is that my battery isn't any worse, or degraded or anything different, than when I was still regularly/consistently hitting the 320's about two weeks ago. My driving habits and where I drive haven't changed, my charging habits (to 90% every day typically) haven't changed. So I'm still putting this on some sort of BMS update that came into the car on the latest update. It's odd, though.

JML

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After hoping to find other people like me with a long range that is only showing about 260 miles when fully charged, somebody finally pointed out these videos on the Like Tesla youtube channel. The first video only mentions the range loss, the second is where she goes into the recommendations she received from Tesla and from a twitter (of course) conversation with Elon Musk. They seem to be pretty much the recommendations Tesla gave me---drain the battery down low, and then let it charge back to 90%. There is the additional recommendation of draining it almost all the way down, and then charging to 100% occasionally.

Of course, if you watch the second video closely, all of that 90% charging didn't correct her range, but rather getting Tesla to do a full reset on the car fixed things. If another few weeks of this 90% charging doesn't correct things, I'll try to contact service and ask for the "full reset." I guess that gives me a month to get 100,000 youtube subscribers, and 12,000 twitter followers. I think I'm at 3 and 20.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After hoping to find other people like me with a long range that is only showing about 260 miles when fully charged, somebody finally pointed out these videos on the Like Tesla youtube channel. The first video only mentions the range loss, the second is where she goes into the recommendations she received from Tesla and from a twitter (of course) conversation with Elon Musk. They seem to be pretty much the recommendations Tesla gave me---drain the battery down low, and then let it charge back to 90%. There is the additional recommendation of draining it almost all the way down, and then charging to 100% occasionally.

Of course, if you watch the second video closely, all of that 90% charging didn't correct her range, but rather getting Tesla to do a full reset on the car fixed things. If another few weeks of this 90% charging doesn't correct things, I'll try to contact service and ask for the "full reset." I guess that gives me a month to get 100,000 youtube subscribers, and 12,000 twitter followers. I think I'm at 3 and 20.

if you get a solid answer on this, that alone would be worth the 100k and 12k followers!

TDLI

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
so whats the verdict? Sorry I didn't read through the whole 4 pages of discussions, are we getting 325 back?

sduck

Country
Country
Really? When? I've been bugging tesla about this and only get vague answers. Like others, I got the range jump in late March, and it only lasted until the next update, and I was back to 310. And since then it's gone down even farther - I just did the drain to 1%--while driving like a grandpa the whole time-charge to 100% thing, and that charge to 100% took me to 307 miles.

pjfw8

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Really? When? I've been bugging tesla about this and only get vague answers. Like others, I got the range jump in late March, and it only lasted until the next update, and I was back to 310. And since then it's gone down even farther - I just did the drain to 1%--while driving like a grandpa the whole time-charge to 100% thing, and that charge to 100% took me to 307 miles.
Do you have a long range RWD?

sduck

Country
Country
Yes. (it's in my sig)

And I was looking around my teslafi page for more details, and this part of my battery report shows my situation pretty clearly -
screen-shot-2019-07-07-at-5-44-09-pm-jpg.27464

You can see I got 2019.5.15 on March 12th, and the jump up to ~325 miles of range happened then (don't remember why there are 4 identical reports for that day). then, on April 6th I got 2019.8.5, and my range started dropping back down to approximately 310. I'm not sure I trust teslafi numbers to be totally exact, they're doing the same kind of extrapolating that the car does. That second column is the percentage that the car is charged to at the end of the charge, the third column is the range the car reports, and the fourth column is the extrapolated total range (if it was charged to 100%). Here's the graph of my total time with teslafi - note those weird ups and downs at the end, those coincide with updates, so it seems like they're tweaking something.
screen-shot-2019-07-07-at-5-57-14-pm-jpg.27465

Last edited:

pjfw8

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Odd. I can't explain. Today I charged to 90%...292. My car is 13 months old. 324 if 100. Your data is compelling.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Yes. (it's in my sig)

And I was looking around my teslafi page for more details, and this part of my battery report shows my situation pretty clearly -
View attachment 27464

You can see I got 2019.5.15 on March 12th, and the jump up to ~325 miles of range happened then (don't remember why there are 4 identical reports for that day). then, on April 6th I got 2019.8.5, and my range started dropping back down to approximately 310. I'm not sure I trust teslafi numbers to be totally exact, they're doing the same kind of extrapolating that the car does. That second column is the percentage that the car is charged to at the end of the charge, the third column is the range the car reports, and the fourth column is the extrapolated total range (if it was charged to 100%). Here's the graph of my total time with teslafi - note those weird ups and downs at the end, those coincide with updates, so it seems like they're tweaking something. View attachment 27465
@sduck,

Where in TeslaFi do you get that textual description of the battery report with the max ranges?

Edit: I see it now thanks!

Ski

TheMagician

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just another data point. Early VIN (4000) LR RWD. On 20.4.2 and, as you can see in the pic, still getting close to 325. Never had to do anything special, just keeps chugging along (about 11K miles).

d62df2ca-2348-4e76-9b74-178b4aa789ba-png.27532

sduck

Country
Country
Hmmmm, all that is about a 310 limited car, so not sure it will apply in my case. However, I've got a mobile tech coming on Wednesday, I'll quiz him about it.

sduck

Country
Country
So the guy did what he called a CAC reset. Basically he just disconnected the battery, and disconnected something under the passenger side rear seat, and let it sit for the 10-15 minutes while he finished the other repairs. I'll give it a few days before making any observations about whether it did any good or not, but he seemed to think this would be the fix I needed. BTW the other repair was a new windshield wiper fluid container, which would be a pretty quick and easy job, except for that one bolt that's only accessible by removing the driver side front tire.

JML

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So the guy did what he called a CAC reset. Basically he just disconnected the battery, and disconnected something under the passenger side rear seat, and let it sit for the 10-15 minutes while he finished the other repairs. I'll give it a few days before making any observations about whether it did any good or not, but he seemed to think this would be the fix I needed. BTW the other repair was a new windshield wiper fluid container, which would be a pretty quick and easy job, except for that one bolt that's only accessible by removing the driver side front tire.
That sounds like this procedure. It removes all power from the car by disconnecting both the 12 volt battery and the high voltage battery. Service says I don't need a CAC reset, just charge to 90% 30 times. Of course the last fix they gave me, charge from 40-90% for a month, didn't work. If the reset is this easy, maybe I'll try disconnecting the power and seeing what happens. It should only take 15 minutes (so about an hour).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
have you recharged since then?

sduck

Country
Country
No, it was charged this morning, haven't driven anywhere or charged since then. It'll most likely be several days before I know anything about whether it worked or not.

And the guy mentioned that Tesla doesn't tell people about this reset. As it can cause two big problems if done incorrectly. And that article linked above has a mistake in the procedure, that might trigger one of the two problems. You want to leave the plug disconnected for 10-15 minutes, or it can start a reboot loop when you reconnect it. And if the plug isn't properly seated and then the battery is reconnected, all kinds of hell will ensue (he actually told me the technical jargon for what could result in a 400v charge going to the metal exterior of the car in an extreme situation, but I forget the particulars). So in other words, don't do it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
all kinds of hell will ensue
when I first saw this posted (not sure if it was the MPP version or another similar writeup), I immediately thought the same thing. I really dont want to be responsible for anything in the 350V/230A spectrum of things that could go wrong