LR RWD not getting 325 mile range anymore

vinnie97

Country
Country
Bummed, a little over a year old, under 8700 miles in the high desert, and my 100% charge only elicited 312 miles (I discharged to 10% before fully charging). 2019.20.4.2 firmware.

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's probably not changes in actual range we're seeing - remember, the mileage estimate is called the "guess-o-meter" for a reason. Tesla probably adjusts the algorithm periodically based on datamining on actual real-world range results, and how close to the actual range it gets. If too many people are cutting it too close for comfort, they reduce the estimate. It's kind of a scary balance between optimism for marketing purposes, and safety for not leaving drivers stranded because they couldn't actually make the next supercharger.
I get the "guess-o-meter" moniker, but I think it applies less to the way Tesla does it (Rated Range, based on an assumed/constant wh/mi consumption, plus whatever other sprinkling of stuff they throw in, to get us up to 325, then down to 310-ish again) than how you see it implemented in other EV's.

A lot of other EV's really do try to guess/estimate based on a host of energy consumption/demand factors, and use a sort of trailing average of x-miles of energy consumption (the Bolt gives you an upper and lower range number). But I like that Tesla offers something like that in their apps section (where you can see your estimated range based on Instant usage, and also based on a trailing 5, 15 and 30 miles average energy usage) while featuring/headlining the Rated Range number on the main display. Once you understand how Rated Range works, you can appreciate why they'd feature that number over the other Guess-o-numbers . . . .

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm one of us LR RWD First Production owners who have never seen the bump and I have moved on.

After 32,000 miles, I'm still close to 310, so I'm pretty happy on the road trips I take.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bummed, a little over a year old, under 8700 miles in the high desert, and my 100% charge only elicited 312 miles (I discharged to 10% before fully charging). 2019.20.4.2 firmware.
I wouldn't be too bummed, check out my estimates since July 2018 (delivery May 26, 2018).

It's an estimate...

screenshot-51-png.27215

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is a graphical representation of what I've experienced . . . . around 310 range at the outset, then it pops up to around 320, literally starting on that one day when I got the update that was supposed to increase range (which was around 11.5k miles), then over the very last two weeks or so, at the far right of the graph, it goes down over the course of a few days, back to 310, where it's sat now for about a week (that's why it's bright orange, on the very far right, lots of dots right there, each one a day/charge incident).

1561761866606-png.27216

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess if Tesla told us what they were doing with the BMS and rated range, it would endanger the company from a competitive perspective. /mild sarcasm

Sigh.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not so good with math, so maybe these numbers will help contribute to someone else making sense of all of this:

When I first got the car (a year ago), it was set to charge to 90%. I never changed that setting. At that time, a regular daily charge was 279 miles (give or take a few, sometimes it was as low as 275). That puts the range at about 310 miles.

After the range increase update, the daily charge number went up to 285 miles - without any additional charging, which indicates that is was a computational difference, not a capacity increase. That puts the max at about 317 miles.

A few updates later, the daily charge settled at 284 miles. That puts the max at around 315 miles.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think that Tesla really bumped to 325 and the 310 is definitely more realistic...

That being said, my breaks required during driving is closer to 150 miles anyway!
This problem isn’t only with you LR RWD guys, it’s applicable to us LR dual motor guys as well. My range went from a solid 310 to more recently 298-300. I read in another post that someone found they are limiting the amount of volts a battery can take, this the 3-4% perceived loss in max range.

I wonder how this will impact Y buyers if the new ranges are reduced such that no version gets over 300mi/charge?

sakaike

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
tl; dr - Ever since receiving my RWD LR M3 last July, I have always seen my rated range at the top end. First 310 miles, and then after the unlocking, 325 miles. This has never deviated even once over all the software updates nor battery charges.

Longer explanation: My use case is different from most of you. I work from home and only drive for errands or client trips. The client trips are typically 100-200 miles round trip, but the errands are usually 5-10 miles. I typically charge anywhere from 1-2 times a week to once every week or two. Because my wife's SUV parks between my Gen 1 CMC at 40 amps and the M3, I do not follow the traditional practice of "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla." I only plug in to charge overnight on TOU rates from my utility.

I have only supercharged once in my life, and that was in the first week of owning the car, before I had my NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage for the Gen 1 CMC (purchased used from a Model X owner). I originally drove the battery down to 5-10% regularly before charging up to 80%. Now, I drive down to 5-20% and charge up to 90%. I have never charged up to 100% ever, and I have never depleted the battery below 5% or so (with the typical bottom end being more in the 10-15% range).

I don't know if my charging behavior (or lack of plugging in the charger when not charging) has anything to do with it, but I have never seen, even temporarily, a degradation in rated range. I should add that I park the car in an unheated garage, and don't cabin overheat protection, sentry mode (yet), dog mode, or TeslaFi, or any other 3rd party apps. In fact, I just unplugged this morning from charging overnight and my 100% rated range is 329 miles (this is a first).

I just wanted to add a data point that there are at least some people out there for which the behaviors described here have not (yet) been affected.

Edit to add: I drive rather "spiritedly" when out and about, so I never actually get my rated range. I'm just glad to know that I appear to have all of the battery available to me, which is about all I can ask for.

Last edited:

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm just going to keep posting in this in all of the range degradation threads, in the hope that I'll find other people in similar situations.

My LR dual motor is down to a 100% range of 262 miles. I've been charging to 90%, and that gives me an indicated range of 234 miles. At this point in time service is claiming it is a software bug and is not interested seeing my car.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At this point in time service is claiming it is a software bug and is not interested seeing my car.
That’s kind of an important piece of info, because it means they probably haven‘t actually changed the battery limits, and it may just be a fault in the guess-o-meter algorithm.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm just going to keep posting in this in all of the range degradation threads, in the hope that I'll find other people in similar situations.

My LR dual motor is down to a 100% range of 262 miles. I've been charging to 90%, and that gives me an indicated range of 234 miles. At this point in time service is claiming it is a software bug and is not interested seeing my car.
Mine has not had as much of a drop as yours, but tried another 20-95% (-ish) charge last night based on another’s service tech’s recommendation.
When I got home last night, it was at 17%. I plugged it in and set the scheduled charging to start in an hour, with the amps set at 25A, then let it sit plugged in at least an hour when charging was complete.
There was zero improvement over what I’ve seen for the last couple months.

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That’s kind of an important piece of info, because it means they probably haven‘t actually changed the battery limits, and it may just be a fault in the guess-o-meter algorithm.
I charged from 38% to 90% by adding 33.52kWh to the battery. Those numbers suggest that my battery's capacity is about 64.5kWh.

However, on a recent trip I used 3.03kWh of power and the battery decreased from 53% to 49%, which suggests that the capacity is 75kWh. Other drives suggest the battery capacity is 67-70kWh.

Somebody should check my math:
100/(90-38)*33.52=64.46
100/(53-49)*3.03=75.75

I'm sure the arithmetic is correct, but is my logic in computing it that way correct?

If my thinking is correct, then when I'm at 100% I should have either 10 more kWh of capacity left to charge, or when I'm empty I really have another 10 kWh to go. I guess I could drive until I was down to 5% left or so, and then leave the car sitting in the driveway with the heater on full blast until it dies.

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine has not had as much of a drop as yours, but tried another 20-95% (-ish) charge last night based on another’s service tech’s recommendation.
When I got home last night, it was at 17%. I plugged it in and set the scheduled charging to start in an hour, with the amps set at 25A, then let it sit plugged in at least an hour when charging was complete.
There was zero improvement over what I’ve seen for the last couple months.
My last three charges have been from below 40% to 90%, with plenty of resting time before and after. The 90% charge levels have been 237.98, 236.34, 236.34, and 235.98. So a slight decrease. I'll keep doing this for another month or so, and see what happens.

My biggest fear is that it holds at around 260 and never drops low enough to trigger the warranty. If I'd wanted a medium range car, I'd have bought one.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
However, on a recent trip I used 3.03kWh of power and the battery decreased from 53% to 49%, which suggests that the capacity is 75kWh. Other drives suggest the battery capacity is 67-70kWh.
Someone who had a repair on a LR model showed the Tesla repair invoice, which showed a 75kWh battery. From there I would guess the standard range is a 60 kWh. I don't know for sure, but the Performance models might get a 90 kWh battery to compensate for higher energy consumption (per Bjorn Nyland's tests).

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
tl; dr - Ever since receiving my RWD LR M3 last July, I have always seen my rated range at the top end. First 310 miles, and then after the unlocking, 325 miles. This has never deviated even once over all the software updates nor battery charges.

Longer explanation: My use case is different from most of you. I work from home and only drive for errands or client trips. The client trips are typically 100-200 miles round trip, but the errands are usually 5-10 miles. I typically charge anywhere from 1-2 times a week to once every week or two. Because my wife's SUV parks between my Gen 1 CMC at 40 amps and the M3, I do not follow the traditional practice of "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla." I only plug in to charge overnight on TOU rates from my utility.

I have only supercharged once in my life, and that was in the first week of owning the car, before I had my NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage for the Gen 1 CMC (purchased used from a Model X owner). I originally drove the battery down to 5-10% regularly before charging up to 80%. Now, I drive down to 5-20% and charge up to 90%. I have never charged up to 100% ever, and I have never depleted the battery below 5% or so (with the typical bottom end being more in the 10-15% range).

I don't know if my charging behavior (or lack of plugging in the charger when not charging) has anything to do with it, but I have never seen, even temporarily, a degradation in rated range. I should add that I park the car in an unheated garage, and don't cabin overheat protection, sentry mode (yet), dog mode, or TeslaFi, or any other 3rd party apps. In fact, I just unplugged this morning from charging overnight and my 100% rated range is 329 miles (this is a first).

I just wanted to add a data point that there are at least some people out there for which the behaviors described here have not (yet) been affected.

Edit to add: I drive rather "spiritedly" when out and about, so I never actually get my rated range. I'm just glad to know that I appear to have all of the battery available to me, which is about all I can ask for.
How many overall miles on the car?

I have similar charging habits and use case to yours (work at home, few trips) except that I take long vacation trips in mine and have 6,600 miles since new in September 2018. Low miles could be the key, though my rated miles aren't quite like yours. There's probably variability between batteries as well. You may have gotten lucky.