LR RWD not getting 325 mile range anymore

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone has anymore updates on whats going on with this topic? I have been seeing 308 at a full charge.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 3 is 13 months old at 15,000 miles. My 100% is 323 consistently.
On a road trip right now. My hundred percent charge at home was 325. Actual performance exceeded that. The first leg of the trip was from Hendersonville North Carolina to the supercharger in London Kentucky. 226 miles. I had 108 miles of range left. I charged to 100% there. Charged to 325. My super charge this morning was interrupted so that I could do a software upgrade but I was already up to 319 when I stopped it with 10 minutes to go. My 13 month old car is still at 100%. My 90% last night was 293.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 3 is 13 months old at 15,000 miles. My 100% is 323 consistently.
Curious if you get that from Teslafi or doing the math with what the screen tells you as far as range available. Thanks.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ive had a couple instances where I NEEDED the full range so charged completely and hit the 325 amount. Lately, now on 12.4.2 I haven't gone to full, but at 90% I show 294 miles, which is basically 325*9-293 so I'm ASSUMING it's still representing and capable of the 325 number.

Robin_C

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone experienced a "sudden drop" in the displayed range on LR Model 3 lately. i.e. I got "bumped" to 520km (323mi) in March and noticed last week I was back down to 500km (310mi).

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone experienced a "sudden drop" in the displayed range on LR Model 3 lately. i.e. I got "bumped" to 520km (323mi) in March and noticed last week I was back down to 500km (310mi).
Mine still pencils out close to the original jump. Based on a 70%ish charge, dividing RM by %, I get ~319 now compared to 321-323 originally. I haven't done a full charge in about a month.

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine still pencils out close to the original jump. Based on a 70%ish charge, dividing RM by %, I get ~319 now compared to 321-323 originally. I haven't done a full charge in about a month.
My bump-up - and more recent drop back - is all based on similar extrapolation calcs, and the Stats App, which I suspect also does a similar calculation. I rarely (as in twice in 16000 miles) charge to 100%.

Likely culprit is a software update, if many are experiencing this. It’s just too sudden to be degradation.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My bump-up - and more recent drop back - is all based on similar extrapolation calcs, and the Stats App, which I suspect also does a similar calculation. I rarely (as in twice in 16000 miles) charge to 100%.

Likely culprit is a software update, if many are experiencing this. It’s just too sudden to be degradation.
I'm agnostic on battery degradation, recognizing my vast ignorance on the issue in the face of numerous variables and few certainties.

2Kap

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes mine got bumped down as well. What software version are you on?

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm agnostic on battery degradation, recognizing my vast ignorance on the issue in the face of numerous variables and few certainties.
Totally. Though I assume you’re agnostic more on the rate and ultimate causes of degradation versus the existence of it.

I also feel safe in assuming that significant degradation rarely if ever happens in a day, as this current 10-mile drop has done. I’m a true believer in the non-existence of sudden precipitous drops in range caused by degradation.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's probably not changes in actual range we're seeing - remember, the mileage estimate is called the "guess-o-meter" for a reason. Tesla probably adjusts the algorithm periodically based on datamining on actual real-world range results, and how close to the actual range it gets. If too many people are cutting it too close for comfort, they reduce the estimate. It's kind of a scary balance between optimism for marketing purposes, and safety for not leaving drivers stranded because they couldn't actually make the next supercharger.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Totally. Though I assume you’re agnostic more on the rate and ultimate causes of degradation versus the existence of it.

I also feel safe in assuming that significant degradation rarely if ever happens in a day, as this current 10-mile drop has done. I’m a true believer in the non-existence of sudden precipitous drops in range caused by degradation.
Totally agree. I'm actually less agnostic on the rate and ultimate causes than I am on the Tesla battery management system's ability to meaningfully measure and communicate to me a reliable measure of degradation--especially since the car's firmware is continually updated, which always contains the possibility that the BMS is arbitrarily changing its rated miles calculation (which is where I suspect the extra 15 miles of rated range came from anyhow). Again, I don't know a lot of things.

I'm going to proceed (behaviorally) on these assumptions:
--I don't have a way to affect degradation, other than by avoiding the known causes of degradation as much as possible (heat, fast charging, storing at very low SoC or very high SoC, etc.).
--My battery likely started life about average for all Model 3 batteries, and is likely to degrade at about the average rate of Model 3 batteries. If reality is different, other than avoiding clearly damaging activities, there's nothing I can do about either of those.
--If I can't do anything to improve my battery, I'll not worry about it. Setting the readout to % rather than miles helps in this.
--If I get a sudden but small drop in rated miles, I'll be thankful I bought the most efficient/longest range Model 3 available at the time of purchase.
--If I get a large drop in rated miles, THEN I'll be pissed. :D

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Totally agree. I'm actually less agnostic on the rate and ultimate causes than I am on the Tesla battery management system's ability to meaningfully measure and communicate to me a reliable measure of degradation--especially since the car's firmware is continually updated, which always contains the possibility that the BMS is arbitrarily changing its rated miles calculation (which is where I suspect the extra 15 miles of rated range came from anyhow). Again, I don't know a lot of things.

I'm going to proceed (behaviorally) on these assumptions:
--I don't have a way to affect degradation, other than by avoiding the known causes of degradation as much as possible (heat, fast charging, storing at very low SoC or very high SoC, etc.).
--My battery likely started life about average for all Model 3 batteries, and is likely to degrade at about the average rate of Model 3 batteries. If reality is different, other than avoiding clearly damaging activities, there's nothing I can do about either of those.
--If I can't do anything to improve my battery, I'll not worry about it. Setting the readout to % rather than miles helps in this.
--If I get a sudden but small drop in rated miles, I'll be thankful I bought the most efficient/longest range Model 3 available at the time of purchase.
--If I get a large drop in rated miles, THEN I'll be pissed. :D
Most definitely.

It’s all Rated Range anyway. Would be interesting to learn what exactly Tesla did to bump Rated Range to 325, and then now what they did to the algorithm to cause these immediately lower numbers. When you look at a graph of the history of estimated Rated Range for my car (using Stats app), you can clearly see a single-day jump into the 320’s when the much publicized range jump update was applied to my car, and now an overnight drop back into the 310’s. Just wondering what they did, as clearly they changed something (more to my point of this clearly not being a degradation issue).

I can’t do %. Much prefer rated range display, though I of course view it simply as my estimated range based on around 242wh/mi and make mental adjustments to what I might expect based on temp, elevation/etc. Basically Rated Range is a fairly constant touchstone that I can use to monitor where I’m at on range. After 16000 miles, this approach has worked very well for me.

I too don’t worry too much about my total range and degradation overall, but only because it seems my battery has behaved within tolerance levels.. But if there’s one thing in life I’ve learned is that small changes may portend more significant issues. So when I see instant hikes/drops of 10-plus miles Rated Range, I bother to monitor that, check posts or post myself to see if it’s a trend that others are also experiencing. Reasonable stuff like that. . . .

Last edited: