LR RWD not getting 325 mile range anymore

JazzyJames

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Shortly after Tesla announced that the LR RWD will be software updated from 310 to 325, I was excited to noticed I was getting 292 with a 90% charge; Previously I was getting only 279 with 90% charge. However, over time and a few software updates later, I wasn’t getting 292 anymore. I was getting 287 on average. Last nite, I charged for the first time to 100% to see what I would get and I got 314 miles.

Are other folks experiencing this too? What happened to our 325 mile range!?

jrzapata

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am getting 320 when I charge to 100% those other 5 miles are elusive!
I am on 2019.12.1.2
From what I remember you let your battery drop as close to 20% as possible (and safe) then charge to 100% to reset that meter.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Shortly after Tesla announced that the LR RWD will be software updated from 310 to 325, I was excited to noticed I was getting 292 with a 90% charge; Previously I was getting only 279 with 90% charge. However, over time and a few software updates later, I wasn’t getting 292 anymore. I was getting 287 on average. Last nite, I charged for the first time to 100% to see what I would get and I got 314 miles.

Are other folks experiencing this too? What happened to our 325 mile range!?
I am getting 316 right now and trying to baby it back up. Ever since the boost to 325 my range has been dropping. I’m attaching a graph from TeslaFi. All I can think is that the software limit to 310 masked any degradation. Our range must have really been up near 335 and it has been dropping ever since.
81F30384-9630-46D4-8C34-3E4EC113D787.jpeg
I will say though, my actual range always outperforms the predicted range on trips. Example: Navigation says I will arrive with 4%, I actually arrive with 12 to 14% on a my 125 mile commute. So I’m not too worried about what BMS is reporting yet.

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 I had thought that about mine hence when I had a service appointment 2 weeks ago and asked this question as my 1yr old LR RWD has never seen the mystical 325, the official answer I got was that the 315 IS the extended range and the car IS still capable of 325. But if [like me] you only do short commuter hops per day then the car will go to an estimated max based upon your driving habits, hence why I always get 315.

I was told that if I did a few longer journey and maxed out the range (say 250+ miles in one go) then it would recalibrate and give me the 325, some mutterings about preserving the battery were also made. I do plan on doing Route 66 sometime so we will see if that is true.

[The service was for it being 1 yr old and tire rotation, they did it all for free :cool:]

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The range you see reported is just a software estimate. There is no static measurement that can be done to detect the state of charge of a battery (like voltage). I wish there were, since I design products that use lithium ion batteries.

So it has to be estimated, and it's a dynamic estimate which is prone to drift over time (thus the notion of a "reset" occasionally).

Think of it like a warehouse taking inventory. Over the course of a year, you track what goes in and out very carefully, but no matter how careful you are, you end up with a different number at the end of the year than you'd expect from taking the starting inventory and adding purchases and subtracting shipments. You think you're out of inventory, but sitting there in front of you is a full pallet of 144 items. "Johnson, what the hell is this? I thought we didn't have any of these left!" So every year you do a physical inventory and just count everything to get square again. Damn it, Johnson.

That's kinda (roughly, sorta, in a sense) what a range reset is—a periodic adjustment to the ongoing range estimate which has drifted.

If you are having a hard time appreciating why it's so complicated, realize that 0% (empty) and 100% (full charge) are also just estimates (see first paragraph here).

Bottom line: what you see is just an estimate of the state of charge of the battery, with a SECOND estimate layered on top: how far you can go with that state of charge. Remember, even if it says it has a range of 315 miles, you can still go 600 miles if you drive 25 mph.

Estimates on estimates.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 I had thought that about mine hence when I had a service appointment 2 weeks ago and asked this question as my 1yr old LR RWD has never seen the mystical 325, the official answer I got was that the 315 IS the extended range and the car IS still capable of 325. But if [like me] you only do short commuter hops per day then the car will go to an estimated max based upon your driving habits, hence why I always get 315.

I was told that if I did a few longer journey and maxed out the range (say 250+ miles in one go) then it would recalibrate and give me the 325, some mutterings about preserving the battery were also made. I do plan on doing Route 66 sometime so we will see if that is true.

[The service was for it being 1 yr old and tire rotation, they did it all for free :cool:]
That is unfortunately bad guidance provided by service. I have recalibrated the battery and get right back to 310. It’s a software bug and word is the fix is coming “soon”, but soon is the favorite word for Tesla...

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's mine, for what it's worth (almost 25K miles, 39K km).
You can see the update that added the range, then the next took it away, then it came back.
Same battery. Different estimate algorithms.

battrpt.PNG

JazzyJames

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To sum it up, it’s a software bug after we all got the 325 range update (given that I reached 292 on 90% charge before).

LR RWD is not much of a unicorn model until this bug is fixed. Cmon Elon!

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can anyone confirm this.

My understanding of this range change is that the RWD always exceeded 310 in "good" driving conditions and many folks did get much higher (actual miles) they could drive even though the "displayed battery range" on main screen tops out at 310. The Energy Chart prediction could always go "above spec" even mine does that a lot. Tesla just "Labeled" the car as 310 so as not to hurt AWD and P AWD sales. And the software artificially displayed 310 on full battery.

Another member with a RWD that I chatted with recently in person believes that Tesla actually software limited the battery to get it down to 310 (maybe they had to do that to get EPA to sign off on 310?). And this update was unlocking that software limit.

Does anyone know for sure which case it is, just display values limited to 310 or actually capped that battery in software (such that EPA would measure an actual 310 miles range under their test conditions)?

Some of these behaviors actually could fit the battery was software limited (not just the display of 310 range on full battery) and the cars have always been degrading some and now that it's lifted the true "top of the battery" is now visible.

Mine is almost 8 months old (AWD) 7K miles and it is still consistently hitting 278 at 90% SOC. I almost always charge to 90%. Have charged a couple times to 100% at a SC. And I do have a very short commute.
But lately I have not been charging every day. Once or twice a week depending on usage. I have taken quite a few longer weekend trips of 300 miles. Rarely go below 30% SOC.

It really hard to know because it is "normal" for the displayed range to be way off. I do generally get very good wh/mi. Last 1000 miles is 230 wh/mi (AWD-P 19" wheels mostly no heat).

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actual call transcript on this issue:

[Tesla] "Tesla service, how can I help you?"
[Customer] "Hi, there. My Model 3 is acting weird."
[Tesla] "Okay, have you pulled over somewhere safe?"
[Customer] "What? No, it's nothing like that. It's the battery."
[Tesla] "How do you mean? Is it smoking or making a funny noise?"
[Customer] "No. It says '319.'"
[Tesla] "You mean, when you charge it fully?"
[Customer] "Yes! Exactly. I know it's supposed to say '325,' so I thought I'd call to see if I need a new one."
[Tesla] "Okay, that's not that bad..."
[Customer] "Hey! I paid a lot of money for this car, so you'd better..."
[Tesla] "Hold on! As I was saying, it's not that bad because I can fix it over the air."
[Customer] "You can? Oh my gosh, that's more like it. That's really cool."
[Tesla] "Let me pull up your car... okay. Here it is. Okay, what would you like the range to be?"
[Customer] "Uh... what do you mean?"
[Tesla] "What number there would make you happy?"
[Customer] "I just want to see 325, please."
[Tesla] "Okay... and... there. Can you see it now?"
[Customer] "Oh my goodness, you fixed my battery! There it is, 325! That's amazing? You really fixed it!"
[Tesla] "Anything else I can help you with today?"
[Customer] "No, thanks. {MILDRED! MILDRED! THEY FIXED THE TESLA OVER THE AIR! MILDRED!...)

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actual call transcript on this issue:

[Tesla] "Tesla service, how can I help you?"
[Customer] "Hi, there. My Model 3 is acting weird."
[Tesla] "Okay, have you pulled over somewhere safe?"
[Customer] "What? No, it's nothing like that. It's the battery."
[Tesla] "How do you mean? Is it smoking or making a funny noise?"
[Customer] "No. It says '319.'"
[Tesla] "You mean, when you charge it fully?"
[Customer] "Yes! Exactly. I know it's supposed to say '325,' so I thought I'd call to see if I need a new one."
[Tesla] "Okay, that's not that bad..."
[Customer] "Hey! I paid a lot of money for this car, so you'd better..."
[Tesla] "Hold on! As I was saying, it's not that bad because I can fix it over the air."
[Customer] "You can? Oh my gosh, that's more like it. That's really cool."
[Tesla] "Let me pull up your car... okay. Here it is. Okay, what would you like the range to be?"
[Customer] "Uh... what do you mean?"
[Tesla] "What number there would make you happy?"
[Customer] "I just want to see 325, please."
[Tesla] "Okay... and... there. Can you see it now?"
[Customer] "Oh my goodness, you fixed my battery! There it is, 325! That's amazing? You really fixed it!"
[Tesla] "Anything else I can help you with today?"
[Customer] "No, thanks. {MILDRED! MILDRED! THEY FIXED THE TESLA OVER THE AIR! MILDRED!...)
Mildred is so underutilized in this story...

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So I was not crazy. For the past weeks I noticed that my Rated range was getting down from 510 to 495 and thought I had a problem since I had a Bluetooth Antenna problem that mess-up the last update. Strangly at the same time the estimate range keep creeping up... despite the fact that we are still waiting for spring. I have presently a rated of 443 for an estimate of 500 at 90%SoC.. Big gap in my opinion.

IMG_E11DA6FD523D-1.jpeg

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Can anyone confirm this.

My understanding of this range change is that the RWD always exceeded 310 in "good" driving conditions and many folks did get much higher (actual miles) they could drive even though the "displayed battery range" on main screen tops out at 310. The Energy Chart prediction could always go "above spec" even mine does that a lot. Tesla just "Labeled" the car as 310 so as not to hurt AWD and P AWD sales. And the software artificially displayed 310 on full battery.

Another member with a RWD that I chatted with recently in person believes that Tesla actually software limited the battery to get it down to 310 (maybe they had to do that to get EPA to sign off on 310?). And this update was unlocking that software limit.

Does anyone know for sure which case it is, just display values limited to 310 or actually capped that battery in software (such that EPA would measure an actual 310 miles range under their test conditions)?

Some of these behaviors actually could fit the battery was software limited (not just the display of 310 range on full battery) and the cars have always been degrading some and now that it's lifted the true "top of the battery" is now visible.

Mine is almost 8 months old (AWD) 7K miles and it is still consistently hitting 278 at 90% SOC. I almost always charge to 90%. Have charged a couple times to 100% at a SC. And I do have a very short commute.
But lately I have not been charging every day. Once or twice a week depending on usage. I have taken quite a few longer weekend trips of 300 miles. Rarely go below 30% SOC.

It really hard to know because it is "normal" for the displayed range to be way off. I do generally get very good wh/mi. Last 1000 miles is 230 wh/mi (AWD-P 19" wheels mostly no heat).
I have a LR RWD and the following is my very small minority opinion (of one):

Prior to whatever software update gave us access to more of the battery, based on uploads via supercharging, I had access to 74.3 kWh.

Now, my access has been increased to something north of 76 kWh.

I will need to log at least another dozen supercharger uplift sessions this summer prior to locking into a number that is +/- one kWh.

I agree that prior to the update, our degradation was being hidden by a portion of the battery being blocked from our direct access, but that has now been opened up to us for use.

Ryefry

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I wouldn't ever charge to 100%. You need to get a app that estimates the 100% SoC to monitor your battery health. My LR RWD has always been at about 325

MJJ

I went from 310 to 325 with version 5.15, then dropped to 320 at version 12.1.2 (according to Teslafi data and estimates)