LR RWD Availability

Karl13

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hmm, such a pity. Was the best efficiency, range. Will have to decide if AWD is worth it.
Lets hope it gets back, come on Elon!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The one thing that remains that remains the same is that Tesla changes everything. I imagine it may make an appearance again. The only chance it doesn’t is if they keep RWD to the lower range vehicles just to reduce the number of configurations.

RonAz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It could be that right now all RWD assemblies are going to build MR and possibly then SR... Only makes sense to put the most effencient drive units in the shorter range cars for now.
At some point supply and demand should sync up which will make more configurations possible on the production side. Until then KISS.

roflwaffle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's my take on it.
  • Tesla didn't want to publish the actual range of the RWD LR because they wanted to homologate the range ratings for all the LR models and avoid cross-selling the RWD LR agains the S 100D.
  • Tesla wants to ramp up production of the IGBT inverter for the SR 3 to lower costs.
  • Tesla doesn't have the margins to sell the SR profitably.
By introducing the RWD MR and dropping the RWD LR...
  • Tesla doesn't need to ask the EPA to homologate the range of their LR cars and they no longer sell any 3s that approach the range of the S100D.
  • If there are supply limitations for the SiC MOSFET inverter, Tesla can keep those inverters in the LR cars to offset the range loss from using an induction motor in front, and possibly upgrade the Model S/X inverters to SiC MOSFET versions when there's enough supply.
  • Tesla can use the excellent (25+%?) margins on the AWD LR cars to help subsidize the MR and eventually SR cars until they build enough volume to approach 15-20% margins on those cars too.
  • Most importantly, Tesla can start ramping up production volume of the IGBT based inverter and maybe other components for the MR they'll likely also use on the SR well in advance of launching the SR.
I think the LR RWD be available again, but IMO it'll only happen after SR production has ramped up.

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's my take on it.
  • Tesla can use the excellent (25+%?) margins on the AWD LR cars to help subsidize the MR and eventually SR cars until they build enough volume to approach 15-20% margins on those cars too.
  • Most importantly, Tesla can start ramping up production volume of the IGBT based inverter and maybe other components for the MR they'll likely also use on the SR well in advance of launching the SR.
I think the LR RWD be available again, but IMO it'll only happen after SR production has ramped up.
Your technical arguments are certainly correct but on the customer side :
- you have to pay $8000 more to access to LR (certainly more than 8000 € in Europe)
- you are not really happy to subsidize MR when buying LR.
But you have no choice...

Karl13

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Good choice Ron I also fear LR will be dual motor only ...
Your technical arguments are certainly correct but on the customer side :
- you have to pay $8000 more to access to LR (certainly more than 8000 € in Europe)
- you are not really happy to subsidize MR when buying LR.
But you have no choice...

MR has price and spec close to Kia Niro, LR is now way more expensive.

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At some point supply and demand should sync up which will make more configurations possible on the production side.
Yes but what is the real demand ! There was less than 45000 SR reservations in USA/Canada...

Karl13

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
One more thought:
Top line Niro: 50 k euros including vat.

MR M3, +PUP +color and EAP is 50k in dollars, but gets 60 k euros once vat is added.
Cheapest LR M3, with EAP following actual pricing would be 60k in dollars, but once vat is added it will be 70k euros, or 80 k dollars, I will not spend that much.
Thats a lot of money. You have better autopilot and supercharging network, bur for what price.
PUP will be key for M3 competitivity, I mean if you can really chose the car without ?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
By introducing the RWD MR and dropping the RWD LR...
  • Tesla doesn't need to ask the EPA to homologate the range of their LR cars
Tesla already homologated the range of their LR cars. What am I missing?

I thought Tesla bought the power electronics from Korean suppliers?

I agree, LR will definitely be available again, probably concurrently with the beginning of the ramp of SR production.

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
AFAIK, there is no Niro ( or H.Kona... ) stock / production capacity ( cause of battery shortage ) at all...
I don't know the situation in Netherland, but in France you can place firm orders for Niro or Kona.
Delivery dates are at the end of 2018 for Kona, april-june 2019 for Niro.
... and nothing from Tesla !! It looks like Tesla stores do not even know what is M3. On the French Tesla website, no up to date list of available models, nothing about MR... complete black hole !
Elon should take more care of RoW (same number of reservations - same starting date - 2 years delay) if he wants to be a worldwide brand ... and be carefull with Koreans: not really imaginative but for quality and productivity they are quite good... it's an understatement !!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know the situation in Netherland, but in France you can place firm orders for Niro or Kona.
Delivery dates are at the end of 2018 for Kona, april-june 2019 for Niro.
... and nothing from Tesla !! It looks like Tesla stores do not even know what is M3. On the French Tesla website, no up to date list of available models, nothing about MR... complete black hole !
Elon should take more care of RoW (same number of reservations - same starting date - 2 years delay) if he wants to be a worldwide brand ... and be carefull with Koreans: not really imaginative but for quality and productivity they are quite good... it's an understatement !!
Okay, anyway I understand you are also a M3 Reservation holder like we are overhere in the Netherlands. We, wife and me, reserved August 2017. And yes 'on attend'. But one big difference with all the other EV's will be for quite some time, apart of the clear M3 qualities etc etc, the Tesla Supercharger Network. Eg. we travelled with our current Leaf-30kWh to the Méditerannée ( Paris - Avignon vv by autotrain..! ) and really the availability of a SuC-network makes a big big difference.

Karl13

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I fully agree, M3 is years ahead. I also understand TSLA must earn money and they will, but I would find it fair if I as customer could choose the best spec based on my needs and would be less forced by configuration restrictions.
I do WANT LR battery, but don‘t care about PUP, big wheels, AWD ecc.

Am waiting since 2010 (bluestar times), hope to find more configurations open soon