• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

BobbyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,

I’ve been following this thread for a few weeks. I have a Model 3 Performance (Non-Performance Package) that I bought in Aug 2018. I recently upgraded my stock Aero wheels to 20” TSW Aileron wheels with a Toyo Proxes 4 Plus staggered wheels, mid-to-low profile tires, so not much cushioning.

I’m having the worst ride these days, it’s super bumpy, feels every pin on the road, every small groove or ditch the car goes over, hits my brain and my ears with the cabin making noise. On high speeds and big bumps, the car goes like a horse - up and down. I am so frustrated. I keep the PSI to 41 (Cool) - 45 (Hot). I’m looking for a smooth ride, something that will cushion up much more and give me less bumpy ride.

I called Unplugged Performance, they recommended MILD springs. I ordered them on the phone (free shipping), and they’re backordered till end of August.

Did I make the right call?
If I could do it over again. I would splurge for MPP coilovers. From what I have read, this seems like the best option for ride height and comfort/performance. That said, I'm kind of a cheapo and after 9k miles or so on Unplugged Mild springs, I'm pretty happy with the ride.

You may also want to try decreasing your tire psi. I have a non-performance LR Model 3 and I found running my tires around 40-41 psi hot makes a huge difference. Note: I am on 19" tesla sport wheels.

Bogdan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Reaching out to you guys, looking for some coil isolator wraps. Having issues with the UP mild clunking noise. Any store that might sell them? Thanks

MMXIXM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Reaching out to you guys, looking for some coil isolator wraps. Having issues with the UP mild clunking noise. Any store that might sell them? Thanks
My UP super performance springs came with the wrap and they are still extremely noisy.

They were professionally installed then the noises started shortly thereafter. The clunking is loud when turning the wheels going slow, etc.

I had my shop reinstall and tighten everything to no avail.

I would not use UP springs again. Definitely NOT recommended.

dfw

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Have about 7k daily driven miles across Texas on the MPP coilovers now.

Haven't done just springs on a car since my first s2000.

Still super happy with choice. No regrets.

Only acceptable alternative to me would've been airbags, but I'm still a static drop kind of guy.

TwoK4drSi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,

I’ve been following this thread for a few weeks. I have a Model 3 Performance (Non-Performance Package) that I bought in Aug 2018. I recently upgraded my stock Aero wheels to 20” TSW Aileron wheels with a Toyo Proxes 4 Plus staggered wheels, mid-to-low profile tires, so not much cushioning.

I’m having the worst ride these days, it’s super bumpy, feels every pin on the road, every small groove or ditch the car goes over, hits my brain and my ears with the cabin making noise. On high speeds and big bumps, the car goes like a horse - up and down. I am so frustrated. I keep the PSI to 41 (Cool) - 45 (Hot). I’m looking for a smooth ride, something that will cushion up much more and give me less bumpy ride.

I called Unplugged Performance, they recommended MILD springs. I ordered them on the phone (free shipping), and they’re backordered till end of August.

Did I make the right call?
No one has complained about T Sportlines.

BobbyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Try emailing Unplugged Performance support. They sent me some coil wraps for my springs. It solved the slight noise I was having when I was backing out of my driveway.

Usaf1997

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Getting my Eibach springs installed I don’t have time to read 28 pages how many people had to do an alignment after lowering their vehicle? Was anybody able to not need an alignment after the springs installed? Thanks

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Getting my Eibach springs installed I don’t have time to read 28 pages how many people had to do an alignment after lowering their vehicle? Was anybody able to not need an alignment after the springs installed? Thanks
You should check/adjust your alignment when changing the ride height, whether with coilovers or springs!

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Have about 7k daily driven miles across Texas on the MPP coilovers now.

Haven't done just springs on a car since my first s2000.

Still super happy with choice. No regrets.

Only acceptable alternative to me would've been airbags, but I'm still a static drop kind of guy.
@dfw,

Specs and photos of the wheels in your avatar? Love them!

Ski

TwoK4drSi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
lol, thanks. they are 20x9.5+35 up front, 20x11+40 in the rear.

Looks like you can keep the same outer plane and go wider in the rear (which is what I wish I would've done).

I'll post some more pics when I get them back from powdercoating.
What wheels do you have? Avatar is too small LOL

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's normal to need to do an alignment after replacing any suspension component. Changing suspension components (other than say, anti-roll bars) usually moves things around enough that an alignment is needed.

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's normal to need to do an alignment after replacing any suspension component. Changing suspension components (other than say, anti-roll bars) usually moves things around enough that an alignment is needed.
There is a decent amount of play in bolts for the rear suspension arms, we often have to check the alignment after disassembly even if we don't change the ride height or any angles.

xof

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I decide to go with the Unplugged Performance Dual Rate Linear “Super Performance” Lowering Springs and ~3,000 miles later, I have to say they are really good!
The lowering is "moderate" (height reduction of approximately 30mm or 1.2-inches) and the ride quality remains pretty comfortable (if not more comfortable) around town while offering a firm ride when driving at a spirited pace. Def. less body roll, esp. in the twisties!

The only drawback so far... I do "scrape" every once in a while when the road is messed up or when the access curb is too steep but with a bit of practice, one can manage it without major issues.

Def. no regrets! Best mods to my M3 so far! Next, probably new set of rims+tires and sway bars.

img_1804-jpeg.29604

xof

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unplugged Performance installed the springs and I don't know if they did one or not tbh...