low VIN number

Country
Country
Hi all, got a White on White P3D VIN (no PUO) for first week of October delivery in SD. Ordered August 3d, reservation in line 3/31/2016.
Am I right in worrying that it may have been rejected a few times? I thought the first AWD P VINs where high 55K and my friends got 80K+ P VINs in early September.
I asked the Delivery Advisor for manufacturing date but was told that he can't see it in the system and does not have a record of the VIN assigned to anyone else. His suggestion is to do the delivery and reject it if I don't like it - which seems reasonable, but I also want to minimize the chances of the car having been reworked, repainted or anything that I won't be able to see or evaluate at the time of delivery.
Has anyone else been getting VINs this low recently? What would you do?

Ormond

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I think that most of the M3P with 20" wheels had similar VIN. However, I am not positive. It may have been sitting somewhere for a couple months. It may not be a reject. Verify the mileage if you can.

On a positive note, it wasn't built at the end of the quarter when there was a big production push.

All of the above is conjecture. Try to see if you can find others with the identical build. They're made in batches--like cookies.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
VINs are not being assigned to vehicles in numeric order (intentional by Tesla to keep the market guessing where they are on production numbers), so would not be concerned about it.

Country
Country
VINs are not being assigned to vehicles in numeric order (intentional by Tesla to keep the market guessing where they are on production numbers), so would not be concerned about it.
I know that they are not sequential to production but when the first P in the wild is several hundred VINs away from mine and what people were getting early September is 30-40K more, I feel it is worth at least to be vigilant. The manufacturing date will show (on the sticker on door frame) if this is a recent car - will know at delivery appointment.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone took delivery with 56xxx VIN, 9/18 build. So I wouldn't worry about. You really can not tell the build date based on the VIN.

Ron L

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all, got a White on White P3D VIN (no PUO) for first week of October delivery in SD. Ordered August 3d, reservation in line 3/31/2016.
Am I right in worrying that it may have been rejected a few times? I thought the first AWD P VINs where high 55K and my friends got 80K+ P VINs in early September.
I asked the Delivery Advisor for manufacturing date but was told that he can't see it in the system and does not have a record of the VIN assigned to anyone else. His suggestion is to do the delivery and reject it if I don't like it - which seems reasonable, but I also want to minimize the chances of the car having been reworked, repainted or anything that I won't be able to see or evaluate at the time of delivery.
Has anyone else been getting VINs this low recently? What would you do?
I took delivery of a M3P+ last week. VIN # 55XXX with a build date of 8/18. No detectable problems with fit, finish or function so far!

rider90190

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got my VIN number today 10/3 after ordering on 9/26. its in 46,8## Should I be worried? does it seems like rejected delivery or re-done body job? any advice will be helpful. thanks!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got my VIN number today 10/3 after ordering on 9/26. its in 46,8## Should I be worried? does it seems like rejected delivery or re-done body job? any advice will be helpful. thanks!
You’re not getting a used car, so the VIN shouldn’t matter to you as long as the car looks good in your eyes.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Should I be worried?
Nope. Just look everything over when you take delivery, just as you would if it was a higher-number VIN.
does it seems like rejected delivery or re-done body job?
Tesla hasn't been assigning VINs in completely numerical order. Just check it over when you get it. :)

EBMCS03

Country
Country
46 isn’t bad. My neighbor took delivery of a 47k about two weeks back.
They are producing them soooo fast right now they can’t even move them to customers hands fast enough

Firewired

My sister just took delivery two days ago of a P3D+ white/white with VIN 55xxx, car was made end of July. My P3D+ came out of Fremont 1 week later and has a VIN of 74XXX. Mine had a couple issues hers has had none so far.

Iroh

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
We took delivery of an AWD with vin 55,0XX last week. The car has a 07/18 manufacturing date.
Your IDA/ISA should be able to get you the manufacturing date.

I too asked if this was rejected by an earlier customer and was told that was not the case.
A lot of Texas bound cars were stuck in shipping limbo in August, so I'm assuming that this was the case for my car.
If i remember right, all auto manufacturers have to report re-work on a new car past a certain value, so try running a carfax or similar report on the VIN to see if it shows up something.

We see no major issues with the car or the paint.
I made a list of items for the local SC to look at and fix and they're scheduling an apt for me next week.

Last edited:

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man... @SoFlaModel3, we have OLD cars!!! ;)

VIN 47XX (no, I didn't forget extra X there lol)

Joking aside, I can understand the question/concern. My advice echoes those above me. Scrutinize/inspect it and make sure it lives up to your expectations. Point out things you'd like taken care of and don't be afraid to call them up even after you're home and perhaps spot something else.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man... @SoFlaModel3, we have OLD cars!!! ;)

VIN 47XX (no, I didn't forget extra X there lol)

Joking aside, I can understand the question/concern. My advice echoes those above me. Scrutinize/inspect it and make sure it lives up to your expectations. Point out things you'd like taken care of and don't be afraid to call them up even after you're home and perhaps spot something else.
005950 here and my wife's is 101XXX :D