Low speed noise maker will be required in EVs

m3_4_wifey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen a couple of videos about the BMW i8 and the fact that it makes imitation engine noise when you step on the pedal. The i8 doesn't let you turn the sound off, and seems like an easy software fix unless they are trying to mask the real sound. I definitely would want the software feature to be able to turn it off, but I could see engine noise being kind of fun to play with like the Tom Tom having different voices for turn by turn directions. One more way for people to individualize their car, and perhaps there's a usefulness for the passengers to know that you just stepped hard on the accelerator or come off the pedal for regen.
If Tesla doesn't have the time to develop the sound recordings themselves, maybe the software could be an open platform and open it up to 3rd parties to do the work.
I didn't setup a poll, but what do you think the Model 3 should sound like if it did make noise?

Here's a link to Bjorn test driving the i8.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla won't be doing "car sounds" in their cars. They don't mention it but noise pollution is another reason why they're doing EVs.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the first modifications I made to my Leaf was to add a button to turn off that Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians.
It's annoying.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But annoying when you'd like to quietly leave the house/neighborhood at 5am.

m3_4_wifey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla won't be doing "car sounds" in their cars. They don't mention it but noise pollution is another reason why they're doing EVs.
Except for blind people, I agree that ICE's are too much noise pollution. I was talking about sound that would be produced by the cars speakers for the interior cabin.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
no artificial noise inside or out please. that is what the horn is for if a warning to a physically impaired person (or someone not paying attention) is needed.
Living in a very pedestrian/bike friendly region, drivers are expected to be looking for people, able-bodied or with physical impairments and the responsibility for not running them down is on the driver, regardless if someone were to step off a curb in front of a car.

Many ICE cars that are running properly have nearly no engine noise at neighborhood speeds. One of my ICE cars you can really only hear idling when the engine fan is on. Before it heats up and kicks the fan on, it is silent. Same moving at sub 30MPH.

I've seen a couple of videos about the BMW i8 and the fact that it makes imitation engine noise when you step on the pedal. The i8 doesn't let you turn the sound off, and seems like an easy software fix unless they are trying to mask the real sound. I definitely would want the software feature to be able to turn it off, but I could see engine noise being kind of fun to play with like the Tom Tom having different voices for turn by turn directions. One more way for people to individualize their car, and perhaps there's a usefulness for the passengers to know that you just stepped hard on the accelerator or come off the pedal for regen.
If Tesla doesn't have the time to develop the sound recordings themselves, maybe the software could be an open platform and open it up to 3rd parties to do the work.
I didn't setup a poll, but what do you think the Model 3 should sound like if it did make noise?

Here's a link to Bjorn test driving the i8.
I'll take a Ferrari V8 [non turbo] sound, but with a switch so I can use it when nobody is around !

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All BMWs produce fake engine sounds now, and I'm sure many other cars as well. It's win-win from the point of view of the manufacturer; you can make an efficient engine and the drivers can still get that visceral performance feeling, for zero extra cost. God knows I miss the sound of the supercharger in my last car, performance of modern turbos be damned.

But it has no place in an electric car, especially one that is trying to change the world and do things differently.
Now, I wouldn't mind it as an optional easter egg, especially with selectable soundtracks like jetsons etc (really on any car), but the sheer silence is another big selling point of a fully electric car.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree, as an option it can be cool. Does the driver have an option in an i8 to shut that off? It's just weird
You can't disable it but the sound comes on when the gas engine starts. It's only a 3 cylinder engine so they made it sound like a V8. It's quite convincing but disingenuous if you ask me.

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The opinion of the blind people I know, is that they would prefer no artificial noises from cars. In fact, they would prefer less noise from all cars. They need to form a complete picture of all things in their environment, so don't want one thing to drown out all the others. Other blind people's opinions may vary.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. a gentler horn might be a good idea.