Loud banging noise when supercharging

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
open a rear door and bang on the floorboard with your fist. I've never had a car with such flimsy sounding floorboards...
That has its own thread:

hollow rear floor....normal?

The "floorboard" doesn't have to be as stiff in the Model 3 as in other cars because there's a huge honkin' battery underneath to protect it from damage. But it ideally would have still been designed to not flex and make a hollow sound like this.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That has its own thread:

hollow rear floor....normal?

The "floorboard" doesn't have to be as stiff in the Model 3 as in other cars because there's a huge honkin' battery underneath to protect it from damage. But it ideally would have still been designed to not flex and make a hollow sound like this.
Yes exactly. I wasn't trying to point out a new issue, just that the noise was pretty much identical for me and probably related. I suspect that the floor of the car is really just the top of the battery. Just some carpet on top of the pack, or at best, very unsubstantial materials between. Those that aren't hearing it while supercharging probably aren't experiencing the same expansion/contraction, maybe due to weather... But if you want to know what noise I'm talking about, there it is!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Yes exactly. I wasn't trying to point out a new issue, just that the noise was pretty much identical for me and probably related. I suspect that the floor of the car is really just the top of the battery. Just some carpet on top of the pack, or at best, very unsubstantial materials between. Those that aren't hearing it while supercharging probably aren't experiencing the same expansion/contraction, maybe due to weather... But if you want to know what noise I'm talking about, there it is!
From what Sandy Munroe has said about his controlled teardown of the TM3, the body in white torsional rigidity is not improved by the battery pac (a.k.a. they over engineered the body by (his opinion) up to 300 lbs).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From what Sandy Munroe has said about his controlled teardown of the TM3, the body in white torsional rigidity is not improved by the battery pac (a.k.a. they over engineered the body by (his opinion) up to 300 lbs).
Unlike the S & X, the battery pack of the 3 is not itself a structural member.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Theory:
So are these sounds from coolant boiling and making old-boiler knocking sounds as the gases expand within the coolant passages? Seems like the water flow should be increased to avoid letting the coolant boil in isolated locations.

Or are you guys thinking this is thermal expansion, frame shifting/twisting type sounds? As torque is applied to bolts while batter spreads?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

JWM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m getting this popping sound too. I'm a little worried about the longevity of the battery. The battery should in thermal controlled environment, why it still gets so hot to the point making loud sound?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m getting this popping sound too. I'm a little worried about the longevity of the battery. The battery should in thermal controlled environment, why it still gets so hot to the point making loud sound?
It's not the battery.
It's the thin sheet metal above the battery.
Really, it's nothing to worry about. It's just annoying. The battery is still being thermally controlled so as to not overheat.

JWM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's not the battery.
It's the thin sheet metal above the battery.
Really, it's nothing to worry about. It's just annoying. The battery is still being thermally controlled so as to not overheat.
I guess the battery should be fine. Just had my car in service center for tire rotation and I asked them to check the battery and they said everything looks good.
I suspect this is something to do with the fiberglass mat on top of the battery, which was eliminated in early 2018 to speed up the production. This should also respond for the floor "hollow sound" and more tire noise.
Hopefully Tesla will do something about it.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I've said this before...I suspect metallic noises coming from the battery are from the charger heating up when high voltage goes through it, in turn heating up the metal cover.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is just a thin piece of metal above the battery pack flexing
Did I miss something or somebody got enlightened and knows exactly where the noise come from?
I wouldn't dismiss the battery pack itself, there is quite a lot of space between the spotwelds lines and in my opinion the bong I hear sounds more like thick material than thin skin.

shareef777

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow, wish someone would of given me a heads up. It’s panic inducing sitting in the car as it Superchargers. I was down to about 30% and decided to try a supercharger. Plugged it in and sat in it. Screen shows 50min to fully charge. After about 20min of charging the fun began. Started hearing all sorts of popping of metal sound beneath me. Then another 10min and it sounded like my car was on a runway getting ready to take off.

Suppose this is all normal, but am wondering how the car will react to V3 supercharging when that’s available!?

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have also heard this noise while driving up a mountain pass and then when going down. It seems like it must be temperature related (thermal expansion). I drove 200 miles yesterday but only heard the noise while going up and then down the mountain. I'll mention it at my next regular check up but I'm not too worried.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drove up Trail Ridge Road in Colorado ~11,500 last night (42 F) in my M3 AWD LR and the first time I have ever heard an abnormal sound but happened ~ 10-15 times. First time I thought I hit some snow but the road was clear, the second time I was positive I had not hit anything and my wife started asking about it. The sound did not seem to be related to speed, ascending or descending but more random in location and what the car was doing at the time. I stopped and looked under the car everything looked normal. As soon as we got down lower it stopped, last one was ~ 8,500' and then never heard one again. My guess is it was related pressure relief or metal expansion related to altitude, temperature and battery heat or some combination of the three. Reading the forums sounds like many others have had the same experience and it is normal - don't like it but glad to know it is not just my car. It was very bothersome because I kept thinking there was something under the car or the regen braking had a loose part. Hope they find a fix for it.

Attachments

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wanted to follow up on this since it's been a while. I heard this a bunch of times when I first got my car last year but in the past 4/5 months it has not happened at all.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I still think the thunk noise is due to rapid thermal expansion of the battery pack or surrounding metal (sometimes you can feel it right under your feet..), apparently there is now a service bulletin to replace the battery breathers for this issue or similar:

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I still think the thunk noise is due to rapid thermal expansion of the battery pack or surrounding metal (sometimes you can feel it right under your feet..), apparently there is now a service bulletin to replace the battery breathers for this issue or similar:

Thank you for posting this. I saw this on Twitter and thought, "I knew it had to be a flaw!" I'm so glad Fremont finally caught up with us.

cain04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Has anyone successfully had this completed? My local SC cancelled my request. When I informed them of the service bulletin they said there was none and this was normal behaviour. Disappointed in how I’ve been treated by them. Quite dismissive.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone successfully had this completed? My local SC cancelled my request. When I informed them of the service bulletin they said there was none and this was normal behaviour. Disappointed in how I’ve been treated by them. Quite dismissive.
Not yet. I made an appointment for a bumper cover adjustment, considered bringing it up then. I can see two possibilities. Either this information hasn't trickled down to common knowledge, or this TSB isn't legitimate. Let's hope for the former. I will print it out and take it with me.