Loud banging noise when supercharging

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that I've listened to those two videos, it's definitely the sound of metal heating up and changing shape.

I don't think it's the battery heating up, though - I think it's the charger. The batteries are thermally managed, so if they're heating up too much, you would see the charging rate reduce until the temperature is more stable. The charger, however, can heat up very quickly, and maintain a high temperature. When it's cool outside, that dramatic temperature differential can cause metal to warp and change shape and make a lot of noise.

You've probably heard this before with an internal combustion engine. If you heat up the engine on a really cool day, and then stop, you hear the exhaust manifold make some really alarming banging sounds.
How would you account for many folks who are hearing it more ascending, but also descending mountains? Temperature or a sealed pressure change?

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone noticed the noise changing? The more I supercharge, it seems as if the banging isn't as extreme and happens less often.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In my car it sounds and feels like someone is kicking the floorboard from underneath the car while wearing a stiff leather boot. I have not heard it on warm sunny days. On cool days (50 deg F) I might hear it once or twice while supercharging. When it's cold (32 deg F / 0 deg C and below) the banging sound is louder and more frequent as temperature drops. It is easiest to detect when the car is supercharging, but I have heard and felt it while driving up long mountains. The first time I experienced it while driving I looked in the rearview mirror to see what kind of critter I ran over. Unnerving to say the least.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How would you account for many folks who are hearing it more ascending, but also descending mountains? Temperature or a sealed pressure change?
Also temperature. The charger also handles regen-related charging, so I suppose it could heat up quickly if you're going up and down mountains. I'm not sure, but there may be some power regulation for outbound power as well, and that could be heating up, too.

None of that is a certainty; I'm trying to account for the fact that something is heating up in the battery pack that isn't causing the software to reduce power. If the battery itself heats up too rapidly, it gives you a "dashed line" power limit until the battery cools down. And that whatever is heating up is in a concentrated area, so that the metal around it heats non-uniformly, making noise.

What's interesting to note though is whatever is heating up and making noise can likely be muted through software, by having the cooling system activate earlier, or the battery pre-warm to a higher temperature so the metal heats more slowly.

Ulmo

Country
Country
Maybe it's because of the Flufferbot failures which caused them to stop using fluff:

https://slate.com/technology/2018/05/elon-musk-says-a-flufferbot-caused-the-model-3-delays.html

I'm wondering how the cars would respond with fluff. I'm also wondering what kind of manhours would be required for a retrofit (the materials must be pretty easy to install, but taking out and putting in a battery pack has lots of delicate bits and a few really heavy parts involved).

---

I found a thread about an unrelated issue but also about floor noise:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/flufferbot-hollowgate-and-the-hollow-floor-noise.130290/

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Had this happen to me yesterday for the first time at a super charger. 5 times in that session. First one I thought I got hit by something as the car shuttered. Called support line, they said I should just bring it into service center to have it looked at. He had no notes on his system about this.

Think I’ll call the service center to see if I really need to bring it in.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this happen to me yesterday for the first time at a super charger. 5 times in that session. First one I thought I got hit by something as the car shuttered. Called support line, they said I should just bring it into service center to have it looked at. He had no notes on his system about this.

Think I’ll call the service center to see if I really need to bring it in.
As a frequent supercharger, it's nothing to worry about or check on.

At this point, 7 months, 7 days of ownership, 18,700 miles, and plenty of uneventful supercharger "percussion"

JoeP

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why dont you record it and upload a file of the sound?
I'm pretty sure i've never heard it, ive supercharged a number of times (probably under 10 total, since i always charge at home) and i dont think ive ever heard it.

I have heard a couple of "pops" while driving but i always assumed it was a rock in the road hitting the underside of the (rather substantial) metal pan under the batteries)

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why dont you record it and upload a file of the sound?
I'm pretty sure i've never heard it, ive supercharged a number of times (probably under 10 total, since i always charge at home) and i dont think ive ever heard it.

I have heard a couple of "pops" while driving but i always assumed it was a rock in the road hitting the underside of the (rather substantial) metal pan under the batteries)
I'll try to remember the next time I supercharge.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At this point, 7 months, 7 days of ownership, 18,700 miles, and plenty of uneventful supercharger "percussion"
How can you say it's nothing to worry about? 7 months is not that long.
I was joking earlier about metal fatigue... it's not to be taken lightly. First you'll have minute cracks, then the paint will crack, then corrosion might get into the mix then what? Coolant oozing from the battery pack?

Call me an alarmist but I usually get rid of my cars when they're 20 years old.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How can you say it's nothing to worry about? 7 months is not that long.
I was joking earlier about metal fatigue... it's not to be taken lightly. First you'll have minute cracks, then the paint will crack, then corrosion might get into the mix then what? Coolant oozing from the battery pack?

Call me an alarmist but I usually get rid of my cars when they're 20 years old.
Fair question.

Maybe the fact I do all maintenance by the book, including rotations done by Tesla explains my confidence. They do a complete check of the car, including BMS updates that can't always be downloaded.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You have more experience than I do with service;), after a month and a half, I'm still waiting for them to call me back for what I've found during the 15 minutes delivery. Just worried how they will cope with all the extra cars.

As for the bang, everything is still speculation for now other than the noise itself until Tesla enlightens us.
If it is in fact oil canning, any level of maintenance won't prevent the outcome.

cain04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also hear this lound banging every time I supercharge. It happens within 10 minutes of charging and occurs severals time during a charging session. Whenever I mention it to somebody at Tesla, I get the "I've never heard about it" line, which I highly doubt.

Anybody get any answers about this from Tesla?

MJJ

I found this after a) experiencing the bangs/thumps and b) doing a search. I think it is more of a mechanical sound than heat stress. I’ll wager it’s circuits opening and closing to balance the load.

I was also amused after a big charge to drive off and hear a howling from under the front right area. Hot battery! Hard working thermal management system! I could almost imagine her shouting “my underpants are on FIRE!”

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found this after a) experiencing the bangs/thumps and b) doing a search. I think it is more of a mechanical sound than heat stress.
That's the other sound. ;) The very loud bang/click are the contactors. That sound tends to coincide with some change of charging/operating state while the car is still.

But many of us are experiencing a different noise that reverberates a lot, and it sounds like a metal expansion issue. Most have it coinciding with supercharging (expansion due to heating), or while driving right after supercharging (contraction due to cooling), but some have also noticed it when descending a mountain or large hill (expansion due to air pressure changes).

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I vote for thermal expansion as the noise does not necessarily always come from the same area AND often coincide with going over a bump at the top of my one mile climb. Relays are higher pitch and "dry" sounding. I don't see any relays or contactor producing a frequency that low and extended.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On @Ryan’s podcast, a caller with both a low VIN and a November VIN reported the older does not do this metal heat flexing or the ‘hollow’ rear floor sound while the newer does. He confirmed with the service center this is a result of the removed fiber insulation (previously installed by the flufferbot).

MJJ

That's the other sound. ;) The very loud bang/click are the contactors. That sound tends to coincide with some change of charging/operating state while the car is still.
Yup that’s my sound.

I was going to argue that heat stress tends to cause ticking rather than banging, but after listening to Jason’s video, I guess we could call it ticking.

I want a widget of gauges showing temperatures, valve and switch states, instantaneous loads, etc. (and I insist it be chrome). It’s almost like Tesla *wants* us to work ourselves into a frenzy over every little thing.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I accidentally discovered something interesting a few days ago while cleaning the interior... For those of you that want to hear the noise, open a rear door and bang on the floorboard with your fist. I've never had a car with such flimsy sounding floorboards... I think that it must be this thermal expansion and contraction of the battery pack top surface that is making this noise. It has not caused any other issues, SC says everything is normal, and car charges as it should. "Flufferbot" insulation sounds very probable; I have a later 9/2018 build, 104xxx VIN.

Last edited: