Loud banging noise when supercharging

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok guys... I have now experienced this this while supercharging, But ALSO when I enter my driveway at a certain angle... I also noticed it entering the car wash parking lot which has a steep lip like my driveway... I assumed I had bottomed out, but checked under the car and saw no damage at all. Now I truly feel it is some metal flexing in the batter pack shield or casing... Going to talk to Tesla about this.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a few more superchargers stops to make before home so I will report back if it happens again, which I'm sure it will. Maybe I can hop out of the car and record it close up for Tesla

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok guys... I have now experienced this this while supercharging, But ALSO when I enter my driveway at a certain angle... I also noticed it entering the car wash parking lot which has a steep lip like my driveway... I assumed I had bottomed out, but checked under the car and saw no damage at all. Now I truly feel it is some metal flexing in the batter pack shield or casing... Going to talk to Tesla about this.
When you enter your Driveway, do you do so at an angle? I do so that I don't scrape the front lip and get a little creak sound but nothing like the sounds from the video above. Is it as loud as what @jasontallman posted?

dgm4d

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@jasontallman Thanks for posting the recordings. That is exactly what I’ve heard, except I’ve only experienced it twice while driving my m3p in the two months we’ve owned it, and only now that it’s down into the 40s here in VA. (I don’t supercharge.)

Scared the bejeezus out of me both times, sounding (and feeling through the floorboards) like a bit of shredded tire rubber had flung up into the undercarriage.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been supercharging on my current road trip.
I'm hearing a bunch of banging noises. They sound like heating-related expansion of metal.
This doesn't sound like a good thing. Major defect in the design? I have only SC 2x and was not in the car at the time. But it makes me want to hit the local SC to see if there is something up.
But if the car keeps the batteries at the optimal temperature via cooling pumps, why is this happening?
Have you gotten outside the car when this is happening to locate the position of the thumping?

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We noticed a similar sound while supercharging over the weekend. We've supercharged twice since we took delivery, but only heard this sound once (and my wife felt it in the passenger side floor board). We'll keep an ear on it.

Park2670

Country
Country
Have had it happen a few times while at a supercharger, and then a few times while coming down a steep hill right after charging on AC power. Its really an odd noise.

Picked up my car a month ago, and its been cold (~35f to 45f) since I picked it up.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This doesn't sound like a good thing. Major defect in the design? I have only SC 2x and was not in the car at the time. But it makes me want to hit the local SC to see if there is something up.
But if the car keeps the batteries at the optimal temperature via cooling pumps, why is this happening?
Have you gotten outside the car when this is happening to locate the position of the thumping?
We have no idea what is causing the noise so I wouldn't call it a major defect in the design just yet...

Has anyone reached out to the SC about this yet?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This doesn't sound like a good thing. Major defect in the design?
Nah, it's just thermal expansion/contraction. It shouldn't hurt anything. Supercharging pushes a LOT of energy into the battery quickly, resulting in quite a bit of heat buildup. So you'll get these noises while supercharging, and again after having supercharged as the battery cools off again.

It's unfortunate that it happens from a "perceived quality/luxury" standpoint, but it's nothing to worry about.

Nautilus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I stumbled on this thread via the "Teslas in Cold Weather" thread. I too have experienced this once while supercharging. I don't normally supercharge, but like many new owners, wanted to see how the process worked. Courtesy of my data on Teslafi, here is how the situation unfolded:
  1. Car spent roughly 9 hours parked at work, ~40F outside temperature, battery at 22% SoC at the end of the 9 hours.
  2. Drove ~27 miles to a Supercharger near home, stopping for about 5 minutes along the way to pick up my son. Actual drive time ~45 minutes . I don't remember whether I had full regen. capability or not by the time we got to the Supercharger.
  3. Plugged in at the Supercharger. Battery SoC = 9% (I had deliberately let it go that low to see what happens). Outside temperature still ~39F.
  4. The charging rate quickly got up to ~74kW (where it maxed out), then about a minute or so into charging there was a single loud popping noise. My son and I agreed it sounded like a piece of sheet metal flexing or popping. We were both sitting in the car. He could feel it through the floor on the passenger side, I didn't feel it, but we definitely both heard it and exchanged a surprised look. I attributed it to thermal expansion of something due to the battery charging, and didn't think much of it, even though it was startling.
  5. I unplugged after only 6 minutes charging, since I wasn't really there to charge up, but rather to see what charging was like. We only heard the pop sound once. We drove away with 20% SoC.

I haven't heard it since, but it's been less than a week and I haven't been to a Supercharger since.

Last edited:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I heard a metallic bang for the first time yesterday... but it was while home-charging (240V/32A) a cold-soaked battery in 14 F weather for 30 minutes, all the while blasting the heater to unfreeze the windows.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I heard a metallic bang for the first time yesterday... but it was while home-charging (240V/32A) a cold-soaked battery in 14 F weather for 30 minutes, all the while blasting the heater to unfreeze the windows.
More evidence that the sound is just due to thermal expansion of metal. Supercharging just happens to be the easiest way to heat the area quickly, but apparently it's not the only way.

Last edited:

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've spoken with Tesla on this issue. They said it is normal and expected behavior. I didn't get a further explanation though. This was relayed to me from my local service center through Tesla customer service.

crmatson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am on my a road trip from Iowa to the DC area. I have heard the banging sound a few times at superchargers and also a few times while driving south on I-79 through the mountains of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

The first time it occurred while driving startled me as I was afraid that I ran over some debris in the road. I could feel a thump in the driver's seat. I am not sure this was thermal expansion or change in atmospheric pressure. Ambient temperature was about 30F.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was working under the car that had been sitting in the garage (15C), charged up when I heard the CLANK. My heart stopped for a while, I looked at my quickjack but it did come from the back, didn't pick up the exact location, I doubt it would come from a contactor. My guess is more as mentionned previously the rear motor engaging with the brakes on. Wasn't quick enough to see if the shafts moved. I don't believe this to be related to thermal expansion.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just found this thread. I learned early on while supercharging over 100 times about this phenomenon. I believe it is thermal expansion, as the source migrates. It can come from thermal or physical flexion of the floor plate. Service centers are largely unaware of the issue. It will not show up in any saved data though there may be a battery temperature correlation. Word from an astute ranger was that a fix in the form of a dampening material was in the works. I’d love to see that as the noise makes sleeping difficult. Plus it’s embarrassing around passers by.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that I've listened to those two videos, it's definitely the sound of metal heating up and changing shape.

I don't think it's the battery heating up, though - I think it's the charger. The batteries are thermally managed, so if they're heating up too much, you would see the charging rate reduce until the temperature is more stable. The charger, however, can heat up very quickly, and maintain a high temperature. When it's cool outside, that dramatic temperature differential can cause metal to warp and change shape and make a lot of noise.

You've probably heard this before with an internal combustion engine. If you heat up the engine on a really cool day, and then stop, you hear the exhaust manifold make some really alarming banging sounds.