Loud banging noise when supercharging

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my car for nearly a month now and every time I use a supercharger, as long as it's pulling in about 50 kW or higher, the battery pack will make loud banging noises. It sounds like a hammer hitting the car or like flexing a large piece of steel and it popping. It becomes louder and more frequent at higher charge rates. It really is quite jarring! I can feel it through my feet on the floorboard. Except for the noise, everything else regarding supercharging seems to be working as expected. Outside temps have been between 45-55F every time. I'm on hold with Tesla at the moment to ask them about it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference when I call; it's always and hour or more wait on hold. Any ideas?

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hear it all the time too when supercharging. I've heard that these cars make funny noises and have attributed that to one and have gotten used to it. Looking forward to hearing a technical explanation of what it might be.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, quite a racket. The battery pack has a pretty flexible sheet metal top. I think some spots are flexing in and out due to thermal expansion. Others elsewhere have speculated that it is load coolant valves. I think the former. In any case, nothing bad has happened after a dozen supercharges.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over the course of 5 months of ownership, I've supercharged 66 times per Teslafi, so more than that as I signed up after I had Middie for 6 weeks or so.

I too hear those noises. No worries whatever it is. But I would love to know...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven’t heard that noise while supercharging (probably because I haven’t hung around). But I get that noise when the car sits in my garage while plugged into a charger. I also get it while driving. I can feel it in the floorboard too

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for all the responses. I take a little comfort knowing my situation isn't unique. I was able to get ahold of Tesla Support and the person I spoke with said that the noises are certainly not normal. He took a call previously from another owner with a similar report, so it is not an isolated issue. He scheduled me an appointment at the SC on 11/1. I'll report back with any findings! I suspect that it may be a defective/poorly designed sheet metal battery top, like Superspectral suggested. Sure sounds like it! Thanks!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven’t heard that noise while supercharging (probably because I haven’t hung around). But I get that noise when the car sits in my garage while plugged into a charger. I also get it while driving. I can feel it in the floorboard too
Interesting! I don't hear the noise at all while driving or UMC charging... I figured it only occcured under high speed charging. I wonder if you'd hear it too while supercharging? I can hear it inside and outside the car.

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was able to get ahold of Tesla Support and the person I spoke with said that the noises are certainly not normal. He took a call previously from another owner with a similar report, so it is not an isolated issue. He scheduled me an appointment at the SC on 11/1. I'll report back with any findings!
Wow! Yes, please do report back. This certainly isn't the direction I expected this thread to go!

AndrewF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over the course of 5 months of ownership, I've supercharged 66 times per Teslafi, so more than that as I signed up after I had Middie for 6 weeks or so.

I too hear those noises. No worries whatever it is. But I would love to know...
Wow, that's lot of Supercharging. Do you ever not Supercharge or a you conveniently located near a supercharger and just go ther all the time?

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have supercharged a number of times, a couple of which have approached 150kw, and I've never heard noises like this. I am generally in the car when supercharging, so I would notice. This is not normal guys, you need to get this checked out.
Might be getting off-topic a bit, but what am I missing here? I thought the superchargers were rated @ 120KW meaning that's the most you could ever be charging at? (Quick research just taught me that Tesla increased max output to 145KW in 2016, but cars should still be limited to drawing only 120KW). Indeed, in all of my supercharging records, I've approached 119KW exactly twice. Are you sure you got more than 120?

Last edited:

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow, that's lot of Supercharging. Do you ever not Supercharge or a you conveniently located near a supercharger and just go ther all the time?
For a little while, my old Voltec 240V 15A charger went on the fritz, and, while I waited for my Tesla Wall Connector to be installed, I used the Saint Charles MO Supercharger which is 15 minutes away.

And with the number of road trips I've done, including Yellowstone, I've done a lot of supercharging.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have supercharged a number of times, a couple of which have approached 150kw, and I've never heard noises like this. I am generally in the car when supercharging, so I would notice. This is not normal guys, you need to get this checked out.
150 KW? Wow. I didn't even realize that rate was achievable. All the superchargers locally all max out at 120 and I've seen 115 a few times...

AndrewF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
150 KW? Wow. I didn't even realize that rate was achievable. All the superchargers locally all max out at 120 and I've seen 115
To be clear, this has only happened twice, and both times I was the only car in the charging station. Initial rate ramped up to about 145 iirc, and then reduced to about 120.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My model 3 just started doing this yesterday while on a road trip to Yosemite! It’s the first time I really used the Superchargers too ( did one in Santa Clarita, Kettleman City( this one had a super duper charger fast), and Fishcamp near Yosemite). Not sure if it’s the cold or all the altitude changes that just contributed. Booking a service appointment but looking forward to any updates you all hear!

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is a SC appointment really necessary for this? @Alex Gayer what exactly did they say when you mentioned this? From what I know this is extremely common, I've personally heard it probably every other time I'm at the supercharger.

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm SCing now... It just did it. There's more sounds than the banging though. It sounds like a vagabond is living in the Frunk, rolling around as he sleeps.