Lost VIN

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So based on my discussion with my IDS and various other forums it appears that due to the Q3 push, Tesla has yanked hundreds of peoples VIN's and assigned them to other customers whom they felt could have a quicker turn around to close more deals in time for the end of the Q3.

Has anyone on this forum had this happen to them?

I lost my VIN 23 days ago with no new information from Tesla, my account still says Late Sept.

Build is a P3D+ - Multi Coat Red

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't really know, but there appears to be an unknown production problem with the Performance with Performance Upgrade Model 3's or something. Since Tesla has been mum about all this, it's impossible to tell. I've called several times and had them search for any color Performance Model 3 with performance upgrade, and several times they say that there are none available anywhere except in Canada. It seems that multiple people going for the P3D+ are not getting VINs or deliveries of their vehicles scheduled and Tesla can't even say if they are producing them anymore. Not sure what is going on, would like to find out when I'm getting my P3D+ if ever, but can't get anything out of Tesla other than they are checking VINs every day and they'll call back when they know something. I just can't fathom why they wouldn't be producing their most expensive Model 3 in droves to make huge profits.

Teslar

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I lost my VIN too, they called me while I was driving and asked if I can pickup on sept 30th. I said yes however they still decided to give away my VIN to someone else.

Brian N

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Same story here as well. Still no update on when I will get my vin on my P3D+. Had a vin for about a week in late sept.

Hopefully they do another run soon. I’m sure they just exhausted through all their performance upgrade supplies at the end of q3 to make as much profit as they could.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah its all very odd how they are handling this, I mean why even assign a VIN to a customer and take it away. Its like stirring up a Hornet's nest causing hundreds of us to call and email wondering what the heck is going on. I would not have had a problem if they didn't assign me anything at all, now I just feel insulted and unappreciated.

Did you guys already apply for your loan like I did after you where contacted? Thankfully I have another 35 days or so before mine expires but at this point I'm nervous this will not be enough time considering how they are handling this situation.

When I called Customer Support the girl I talked to sounded like she was a new hire and had to constantly put me on hold to answer any question I asked. I pushed her for another department that could assist in estimating a time frame for delivery considering my account is still stuck on "Late Sept" with no new updates. She bluntly said that nobody knows or can get any information on my order...lol

I'm a patient guy, I work in the Dealership Business so I have more patients than most, but when you initiate contact with VIN info causing me to apply for a loan, quoting out insurance then take it all away and lie about it, that's when I start to lose my patents very quickly. Tesla initially told me they dropped my VIN because it would be quicker to source me a car already on the ground, meaning sitting in a parking lot somewhere. I was fine with that. 3 weeks later no car, no new info, radio silence.

If I lose my loan and have to reapply and get stuck with a higher APR because all the rates have jumped I'm going to raise holy hell with them....lol

Good news is my IDS is a very sweet lady and is doing her best even though she's spinning me, I know she has no other choice so it all good.

Brian N

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Same exact situation. They gave me the vin. I applied for a loan. Now stuck in limbo-land. Called my DS she doesn’t know what happened. Says still no VIN for me so I have just been waiting. I really hope it’s soon. Like you I don’t want to be stuck with higher interest rates than what I was approved for.

I agree with you. If they never gave me a VIN I was fine waiting. Now that I got the ball rolling and they pulled the rug from underneath me. It’s a little stressful. Just because I know the clock is ticking. I was honestly not expecting delivery till late Oct early Nov to start. Looks like that is what is going to happen. I hope.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I lost my VIN too, they called me while I was driving and asked if I can pickup on sept 30th. I said yes however they still decided to give away my VIN to someone else.
Super frustrating, hang in their and update this thread with any new info. I'll do the same

Brian N

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Keep us posted on how it goes! When did you configure?
Configured 9/15 with the goal of getting the latest model possible with unlimited free supercharging. Thought about ordering on 9/16 but was worried the website or servers might crash or something.

White/black int/performance upgrade package.

I suspect since I am in California that my delivery date is a little earlier than most. I see the AWD thread that a few others got their VIN the last day or two as well. With delivery dates a little later than mine due to location.

I hope you get your vin soon too!

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got the call from my IDS, she says they got a VIN for me again and will go over everything tomorrow! I hope this for real this time. Hopefully they have manufactured all the back orders so they can fulfill their promise for all orders placed before Oct 15