Locking behavior without using “Walkaway Lock” or keycard

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,
For various reasons, I’m considering not using the Walkaway Lock function when I get my Model 3, and am curious how I can manually lock the car when leaving, and WITHOUT pulling out the keycard. Is it possible to open the door, tap the Lock icon on the screen, exit the car, and it is locked behind you? I’m looking for the Model 3 equivalent of pressing the lock button on the door armrest on the way out.

Since I know someone will ask, I would prefer my car remain unlocked in the garage. Both to ease access, and to facilitate using my J1772 adapter with my home EVSE. I understand the adapter will remain locked to the car, and the only way to release it is to take the step to unlock the car first. I would just prefer the car doesn’t lock at all.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was also thinking of how I could leave the car unlocked in the garage. What happens if you turn off the phones bluetooth then walk away? It would really be great if a software update would allow "Leave unlocked at home" as an option.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think most cars automatically lock after “x” time if the key isn’t nearby and I would have assumed the Tesla is the same but I’ve seen numerous reports of cars being unlocked all day/night which leads me to believe that if you don’t lock it, it won’t lock.

The “app” is pretty easy though. Even if you turn off walk away lock and walk up unlock you can use the app to lock/unlock at your preferred distance.

For instance if I didn’t like the neighborhood I was parking in, I’d have the phone in my hands with app open as I exited and immediately lock the car. Of course I wouldn’t leave the car somewhere like that though :)

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think most cars automatically lock after “x” time if the key isn’t nearby and I would have assumed the Tesla is the same but I’ve seen numerous reports of cars being unlocked all day/night which leads me to believe that if you don’t lock it, it won’t lock.

The “app” is pretty easy though. Even if you turn off walk away lock and walk up unlock you can use the app to lock/unlock at your preferred distance.

For instance if I didn’t like the neighborhood I was parking in, I’d have the phone in my hands with app open as I exited and immediately lock the car. Of course I wouldn’t leave the car somewhere like that though :)
Instead of using the app can you hit the lock button on the screen once the door is open then get out and close the door?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Instead of using the app can you hit the lock button on the screen once the door is open then get out and close the door?
I haven’t tested that. If no one else does, I’ll test in a little bit :)

Not possible with BMW. Whenever driver door closes, it always opens the lock, even if you lock it after opening.
This way if you forgot your phone with wallet inside, you don't accidentally lock yourself out:)

Also, AFAIK, locking the doors is not possible on BMW when door is not closed. At least on newer vehicles.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mike Land confirming you are 100% right. Open the car door, tap lock on the screen, mirrors fold in, close door... they remain locked!
The nice thing about this is if you want to leave your phone charging in the car and you have the card on you just turn off BT, lock the car, close the door. Then you only need to pull the card out to get back in.

Yes, I know, I'm the only one left in the world who would be caught without my phone surgically attached to me 24/7 but hey, I like the option!

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The nice thing about this is if you want to leave your phone charging in the car and you have the card on you just turn off BT, lock the car, close the door. Then you only need to pull the card out to get back in.

Yes, I know, I'm the only one left in the world who would be caught with my phone surgically attached to me 24/7 but hey, I like the option!
Now we need to confirm if the USB and/or 12V are on while the car is off for that plan.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not possible with BMW. Whenever driver door closes, it always opens the lock, even if you lock it after opening.
This way if you forgot your phone with wallet inside, you don't accidentally lock yourself out:)

Also, AFAIK, locking the doors is not possible on BMW when door is not closed. At least on newer vehicles.
Inferior cars ;)

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mike Land confirming you are 100% right. Open the car door, tap lock on the screen, mirrors fold in, close door... they remain locked!
That’s perfect. Instead of disabling “Walk Up Unlock”, I’ll disable “Walk Away Lock”. That way my car will always (if its working correctly) unlock when I approach it, but it will only lock when I specifically want it too, like when I’m out and about. Also prevents the car from doing the lock/unlock dance in the garage when the phone is nearby. I like!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Walk away lock and walk up unlock are separately settable through the Settings button on the Locks screen. We had the problem of the car unlocking itself in our shared garage, while the phone was one floor up, in our condo. We can still unlock the car upon approach, either with the key card or the phone app.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do wish that you could geofence this action, though. This has been a problem for me back to the model S days. At least the 3’s not wearing out the door handles (though I’m sure there are other components that are needlessly cycling when I walk by).

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So with my garage on the other side of the wall from my office, here is what I was thinking....

Turn off WALK UP UNLOCK
Turn on WALK AWAY LOCK.

So when I leave the car it will lock wherever, but as I move about the house, even if it locks as I proceed into the house, it wont unlock if I walk by with my phone and keep locking as I leave the area. and on and on....
Then when I want to open the car, if I have my phone, and press the handle so it comes out, wont the door auto unlock that way?
Of course that means if I leave something in the car I want, I gotta have my phone or card...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Then when I want to open the car, if I have my phone, and press the handle so it comes out, wont the door auto unlock that way?
that is my understanding from earlier trials others had with walkup unlock off.
so technically, the has times of being unlocked, or maybe more like unlockable, but the handle has to be pressed at the same time. (is this only the driver handle?)
Presuming this is the case, using my office building as an example - we have a small footprint multistory building with assigned parking on 2 sides. My office is multiple floors up, so out of bluetooth range, but there is a tenant on the parking side that has parking spaces right outside their wall (they are the constant source of MJ processing smells wafting up and around the property that made me feel right at home walking around Vegas last week...). If they had a Model 3 parked in one of their spaces and had walk-up unlocked off, the car locked, potentially someone could walk up to the car, try the driver handle and unlock the car. right?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
that is my understanding from earlier trials others had with walkup unlock off.
so technically, the has times of being unlocked, or maybe more like unlockable, but the handle has to be pressed at the same time. (is this only the driver handle?)
Presuming this is the case, using my office building as an example - we have a small footprint multistory building with assigned parking on 2 sides. My office is multiple floors up, so out of bluetooth range, but there is a tenant on the parking side that has parking spaces right outside their wall (they are the constant source of MJ processing smells wafting up and around the property that made me feel right at home walking around Vegas last week...). If they had a Model 3 parked in one of their spaces and had walk-up unlocked off, the car locked, potentially someone could walk up to the car, try the driver handle and unlock the car. right?
I guess so, but if she is that close, wouldn't the car be constantly unlocking and locking so someone could walk up and open it when it self unlocks?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If they had a Model 3 parked in one of their spaces and had walk-up unlocked off, the car locked, potentially someone could walk up to the car, try the driver handle and unlock the car. right?
Someone should test that.

I would *hope* that the car would somehow confirm that the phone is within a foot or so of the handle. I know my Leaf won't unlock if I'm on one side of the car (with the key in my pocket), and my son tries the handle on the other side of the car.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess so, but if she is that close, wouldn't the car be constantly unlocking and locking so someone could walk up and open it when it self unlocks?
She's specifically talking about the case were the configuration has been changed to turn off "walkup unlock".