Lock with phone inside?

Normal1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyon'e have the occasion to leave the phone inside and the doors lock and can't open ...without the card? Were settings wrong? I didn't think it could lock with an active phone inside.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, it can and definitely does lock with a phone inside. Isn't that what you want it to do?
Some modern cars refuse to lock if they detect a key still inside. Leaving the phone inside is the equivalent for a Tesla.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyon'e have the occasion to leave the phone inside and the doors lock and can't open ...without the card? Were settings wrong? I didn't think it could lock with an active phone inside.
Always carry the card in your wallet. It's a great failsafe, it does not matter much if it gets lost, as it carries no identification regarding the car and is easily replaced, and it's waterproof (in case your phone is not).
I want to be able to lock my phone in the car: if I drive to the beach, I am not going to leave my phone on my towel while I spend a couple hours swimming. I cannot take my phone swimming -- it's water-resistant, not waterproof -- but I can slip the card (which is waterproof) in my swimsuit zip pocket, so I lock the phone and my billfold in the car with the card and go swimming in peace ;-)

PS. I have not tried it, but it may be that the car will not lock if your phone is in it and does not go to sleep -- something feasible without running it down as you can leave it plugged into the charger. Or you could disable the "lock on walking away" setting?

roflwaffle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some modern cars refuse to lock if they detect a key still inside. Leaving the phone inside is the equivalent for a Tesla.
They do, but I've done the same thing with my Prius FOB when I leave it next to something that can block it, like in my laptop bag close to my laptop.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
NO! i don't carry a card, so the phone is my only key. Had to get my wife to bring card. How can I stop it from locking with phone inside?
If your wife has the Tesla App on her phone, seems she could have unlocked the car remotely for you, and not have had to bring you the card.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've left my phone in the car a couple of times, I wasn't driving and had left it in the door. We came back to an unlocked running car. I've never seen the car lock when a phone that was set up as a key was left in it.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've left my phone in the car a couple of times, I wasn't driving and had left it in the door. We came back to an unlocked running car. I've never seen the car lock when a phone that was set up as a key was left in it.
Mine just did yesterday. Had to use my card to unlock it.

AugustaDriver

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm required to leave my phone in the car while I'm at work, as the building I work in won't allow them. So my daily routine is to have my card in my wallet and when I get to work turn off the Bluetooth on the phone, and lock the car with the card. By not having the Bluetooth on, the car doesn't know the phone is inside.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What about locking your wallet w/car key in the car with your phone and the phone battery goes dead or is stolen?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How do you open the door?
By keeping your keys on your person.
  • Keep a key card in your wallet in case your phone dies. Don't leave your wallet in the car.
  • If your wallet fell out inside the car, and your phone fell off inside the car and the battery is dead, then ...
  1. You should buy better pants. Seriously.
  2. Ask someone to bring you the *other* key card.
  3. Make sure another family member (who owns a better pair of pants) has the Tesla app on their phone logged into your Tesla account so they can come rescue you.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
By keeping your keys on your person.
  • Keep a key card in your wallet in case your phone dies. Don't leave your wallet in the car.
  • If your wallet fell out inside the car, and your phone fell off inside the car and the battery is dead, then ...
  1. You should buy better pants. Seriously.
  2. Ask someone to bring you the *other* key card.
  3. Make sure another family member (who owns a better pair of pants) has the Tesla app on their phone logged into your Tesla account so they can come rescue you.
Well, don't ever put your wallet in the the glove box at a rest stop and lock your car with the phone app and have your phone die.

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also does the TOUCH ID in iPhone and Fingerprint Authentication in Android work?

I have them turned on in both work and personal but whenever I open the app it doesnt ask for any authentication and goes right to the controls....

In other words its always logged in... I thought it would work like bank apps where the authentication pops up before logging in

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, don't ever put your wallet in the the glove box at a rest stop and lock your car with the phone app and have your phone die.
You're acting like this is a mistake on Tesla's part.

Would you lock your Honda keys in the glove box at a rest stop? If not, why would you do that with your Tesla keycard?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You're acting like this is a mistake on Tesla's part.

Would you lock your Honda keys in the glove box at a rest stop? If not, why would you do that with your Tesla keycard?
Because I have my phone app, no use carrying both.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because I have my phone app, no use carrying both.
You started off by saying that you left your phone in the car (where it died) along with leaving the keycard in the car. Can we agree that you're just tempting fate if you leave all of your car keys within a car that locks itself? :)

But as you say, what if your phone dies? The keycard is meant to be the backup for that situation. You can keep it in your wallet on your person for minimal inconvenience when your phone dies. You can keep it in your house/apartment so that *somebody* could go get it and bring it to you if your phone dies. Leaving it inside the car does nothing useful. You could also just charge your phone for 5 minutes so that it works as a key again.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The question is: can you opt out of self-locking with the phone in the car?
I don't care to know how wrong I am.