Lightning Storms and Teslas

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
It is thunderstorm season in the US/Midwest. I charge at home and was wondering if my Model 3 should be unplugged during a lightning storm or if there are built in protections in the car.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It is thunderstorm season in the US/Midwest. I charge at home and was wondering if my Model 3 should be unplugged during a lightning storm or if there are built in protections in the car.
I'm sure there are protections but I would never trust any lightning protection and unplug. One bolt of lightning is enough energy to completely charge 36 LR Model 3's. A tree by my cabin just got struck and it popped most of the bark off the tree, melted some of the light switches in the cabin, and even popped a light switch cover off.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've not heard of any reports of a house taking a strike with a Tesla plugged in, but I wouldn't want to test it either. I'm sure they have thought about some protection either in the connector or in the car itself, but lightning can do some serious damage. We get some good storms here in TX and there have some been nights I didn't plug in because of storms, but after one started I didn't get up and go unplug it on another occasion. So may be playing with danger.

Here is a little tidbit on the strength of lightening - a 200 mile long bolt - https://www.sciencealert.com/oklahoma-had-the-longest-lightning-strike-on-record

VoltageDrop

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
.....for as many storms as we have been having here in the midwest.....If I unplugged every time a cloud farted.....well ......I may as well never plug the car in again........I try not to worry about it too much......

ajdelange

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
The car, your house and he grid all have provisions for protecting from lightening. The chances are proably 99.999% that you will be OK. So if you are happy with 5 nines don't worry about it. But if you are a 6 or more nines kind of guy then unplug it. Or increase the number of nines by installing whole house surge protectors.