Level 2 charger in handicapped space

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok this is f-ed up but the hotel I like to stay at has a chargepoint station sitting in the handicapped parking space. I'm not handicapped should I use it? This isn't the only one I have had to deal with so....

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok this is f-ed up but the hotel I like to stay at has a chargepoint station sitting in the handicapped parking space. I'm not handicapped should I use it? This isn't the only one I have had to deal with so....
The mall by my office has a space like this, and, yes, it's very confusing at first glance.... but there is a sign on a nearby wall indicating that the space is reserved for accessible parking or EV charging.

Is there any such signage near the space at the hotel? If not, it sounds like something the hotel manager should look into...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will just wanted to get a feel for how best to talk about it. It's a strange problem and I don't want to take a parking spot that someone else may need. The real problem is that this hotel is in Santa Barbara and there isn't a Supercharger anywhere close by, so I need to use the level 2.

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting, I didn't know this. And here I thought I was being an a-hole for parking in a handicap spot to charge the other day. Can anyone point me to the specific law in CA?

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting, I didn't know this. And here I thought I was being an a-hole for parking in a handicap spot to charge the other day. Can anyone point me to the specific law in CA?
I've seen a Volta over in a lot that did the same thing. They should just keep them separate.

I wouldn't want to park but in your situation, since that is the only charger there, you don't have a choice. It's bad planning on the hotel's part. The best practice would be to inform the hotel staff that you need to charge, and maybe leave your number so they can contact you.

just in case a handicap person does come along, at least the hotel staff can see if you are available or willing to move your charging car for them. If it becomes an issue in the future, i'm sure they will separate the spaces.

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen a Volta over in a lot that did the same thing. They should just keep them separate.

I wouldn't want to park but in your situation, since that is the only charger there, you don't have a choice. It's bad planning on the hotel's part. The best practice would be to inform the hotel staff that you need to charge, and maybe leave your number so they can contact you.

just in case a handicap person does come along, at least the hotel staff can see if you are available or willing to move your charging car for them. If it becomes an issue in the future, i'm sure they will separate the spaces.
In my case it was at a strip mall kind of place. It was either charge, or not go home. I parked in the space but stayed in the car in case somebody came by needing the handicap space. I only needed about 5 miles added to my battery to be able to be confident that I could make it home.

I felt like a jerk (and who knows, maybe I was being one) but I was out of options.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

darco

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It may be legal in California (I still haven't see anyone cite a CVC number for such a rule), but without a sign nearby explicitly saying that charging is allowed without a handicap placard/plate, I think most people would just assume you are being an a-hole. Some people might even act aggressively. People get REALLY crazy about parking in handicap spots without placards.

I personally wouldn't use such a spot unless I was desperate and had a printout of the law (in big readable print) that I could place on my dashboard. I try to avoid even giving people the appearance of being an a-hole, even if I'm technically not being an a-hole. :p

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It may be legal in California (I still haven't see anyone cite a CVC number for such a rule), but without a sign nearby explicitly saying that charging is allowed without a handicap placard/plate, I think most people would just assume you are being an a-hole. Some people might even act aggressively. People get REALLY crazy about parking in handicap spots without placards.

I personally wouldn't use such a spot unless I was desperate and had a printout of the law (in big readable print) that I could place on my dashboard. I try to avoid even giving people the appearance of being an a-hole, even if I'm technically not being an a-hole. :p
Haha COMPLETELY understandable. I definitely would not have done it if I weren't desperate. I would not have made it home without charging.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The hotel isn’t who will ticket you for parking in a handicapped parking space
I *think* that it is on private property and the hotel is the responsible entity. But, my real point was to talk to the hotel and find out the details of what is going on. They installed it, they seemingly knew that it was a handicapped spot.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I *think* that it is on private property and the hotel is the responsible entity. But, my real point was to talk to the hotel and find out the details of what is going on. They installed it, they seemingly knew that it was a handicapped spot.
ADA spaces are required on private property, and governed by the state and ADA. Otherwise, no business would allocate any spaces for ADA parking, and especially not the prime spaces near the entries.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did a quick search, and the only regulation I can find is related to EV charging spaces needing to be accessible, but nothing saying accessible parking spaces can allow EVs to use them to charge.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK, I just got back from the trip that started this thread, and while the hotel didn't care if I parked there, for some annoying reason the police did. I got a ticket. But there is a bright side it seems that I can fight it without having to go back to Santa Barbara. I just wrote a rather long and boring letter that talked about how CA Advisory EVG-250.1 applied and how the ICEHole parked next to me violated CA Vehicle Code 22511.1 which states:
A person shall not park or leave standing a vehicle in a stall or space designated pursuant to Section 22511 unless the vehicle is connected for electric charging purposes.

To say I have photographic proof of the problem is an understatement and said ticket should be dismissed. I don't care if the ICEHole gets a ticket in the mail but next time I will know better about how to approach this problem.

Thanks everyone for the help. Especially PandaM3.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That advisory is part of the current CA Uniform Building Code which applies to nonpublic parking spaces and parking lots. The vehicle code mainly applies to moving vehicles with a few additions, mainly parking on public streets. I did an extensive bit of research today so I think I could take the written drivers test and pass it with flying colors right now, next week probably not. :D

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They do the same thing here in TX and it is maddening. At the Airport and whole foods especially. So what happens is the handicapped park there with their ICE cars. Of course here they also park there if there is any signage since they feel that they are entitled to any close space :triumph:. unfortunately EV charging spaces need to more to far end of parking lots to avoid this until/unless there is better signage/education and well know laws, which hopefully comes with time.
Now thankfully I have the 3 and really don't need to charge most times so most of this rant is from when I drove/drive the LEAF and needed to charge.