Let's talk about tires...

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

woodisgood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We've only put 1,300 mi on our 3 so far, but as my wife's daily driver it gets at least 550/mi per week. She's not an aggressive driver but no light-foot either. If the life of the tires truly ends up being ~20k, we're looking at yearly tires.

I know there probably aren't too many people out there who have changed their tires, but do we know if there is truly a significant noise difference between the OEM tires and their non-acoustic counterparts? Is there any other reason other than noise to go with OEM/foam-filled?

I'm just trying to plan ahead a little and get this aspect of TCO figured out.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m at 10k miles on 6 months and hoping the tires last longer than 20k. We’ll see...
and I'm now at 15k miles and 8 months and I'm quite sure they'll get to 20k miles. But maybe I'll try and get a tread depth measurement and let you know? I'll be switching to snow tires likely end of September, I'm curious about the difference in tire noise too! Stay tuned.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
and I'm now at 15k miles and 8 months and I'm quite sure they'll get to 20k miles. But maybe I'll try and get a tread depth measurement and let you know? I'll be switching to snow tires likely end of September, I'm curious about the difference in tire noise too! Stay tuned.
Now I’m measuring tread depth every other week and tracking it

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now I’m measuring tread depth every other week and tracking it
OK, in the FWIW category, I measured my tread depth just now at 5/32 inch. These are the factory 18 inch Acoustic Michelins. Mileage very near 15,000 mi. Anyone know what it is new? We have a Tesla club meetup today, I'll try and measure tread depth on a new Model 3.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK, in the FWIW category, I measured my tread depth just now at 5/32 inch. These are the factory 18 inch Acoustic Michelins. Mileage very near 15,000 mi. Anyone know what it is new? We have a Tesla club meetup today, I'll try and measure tread depth on a new Model 3.
I don’t know what new is, but at 10,000 miles my rears were at 5/32 and my fronts were at 8/32 on the 19” contis

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow, that much difference? Mine are at 5/32 inch all around, fronts match backs. Very interesting!

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting discussion.
I wonder what we all have on our cars?

I have Continental ProContact Rx 235/40/19
It has a pretty good set of specs.
Rating 400
Temp A
Traction A

The Continental site has very little info on it.
But Tire Rack (great way to buy tires) has this info. and shows them as Tesla tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...reModel=ProContact+RX&partnum=34WR9PCRXXLCOSI

Theoretically it is a long ride tire, 45K mile warranty (V rated). I don't know that anyone can make a claim on them depending on Tesla's deal but 45K warranty means they should last a long time. Maybe 35K-40K? That would be great.

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As I only have 1,500 miles on the car, I am sitting at 7's on all 4 tires at 45 pressure....

These are the 18's on the LR/RWD.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just curious, have you rotated your tires in those 10,000 miles?
That was the measurement at my first rotation (a few days ago) which was clearly late. I am now paying closer attention to it.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The upside for wearing down your tread: it reduces rolling drag ;)
... and I think I can confirm that with the numbers my car is giving me. I'm about to report out my overall numbers having reached 15000 miles and the efficiency keeps getting better and better. For the last 3000 miles I'm around 200 now (and I DROPPED the cold pressure in my tires to 42 psi) which equates to an overall range of around 375 miles! (It wasn't that good earlier in this Spring.)

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've just done a bit of research (Internet, Michelin's website). Typical new tire tread depth is 10/32 inches and replacement (wear bars showing) is at 2/32 inches. Dunno is this is true for 18" Model 3 tires or not but assuming it is? I've worn off 5/32 inches of tread in 15000 miles. If this trend continues in a linear fashion (big assumption), I'll get another 9000 miles on these tires before I'll see wear bars (or about 25000 miles). Can someone go measure the initial tread depth on a new 18 inch Michelin tire?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Yeah, basically, the thicker the tread, the more the rubber "wobbles" and wastes energy. New, fresh rubber is also more supple (wobbly) than older, harder rubber.

You lose traction over time as your tires age, but there is an upside :)

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've just done a bit of research (Internet, Michelin's website). Typical new tire tread depth is 10/32 inches and replacement (wear bars showing) is at 2/32 inches. Dunno is this is true for 18" Model 3 tires or not but assuming it is? I've worn off 5/32 inches of tread in 15000 miles. If this trend continues in a linear fashion (big assumption), I'll get another 9000 miles on these tires before I'll see wear bars (or about 25000 miles). Can someone go measure the initial tread depth on a new 18 inch Michelin tire?
Tirerack.com lists the OEM Michelins as 8/32” initial tread depth.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
May I suggest folks provide Tire details. Not just name of brand, all the specifics as to sub-nomenclature. Like Tx, Rx, Pro, etc.
Car OEMs may use multiple kinds of tires in a model year. So tread depth on just a brand name means little.

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These are the original equipment 18" tires on the Model 3 aero wheels (at tire rack). The price might be one reason some (like me) might be looking at other tires when these wear out. If the noise difference is negligible, and the range difference is negligible, I'd be interested in a cheaper tire. Depending on how much one of those two items is increased/decreased, I might be forced into getting these again. With that in mind, I'm going to do frequent rotations, and try to drive sanely to help increase tread life, especially since these tires only start with 8/32", which is less than a lot of other tires.

upload_2018-8-20_12-3-48-png.13350

One question I have is, is it absolutely necessary to get tires with the same speed rating as OEM? Would a 98V tire not be "good enough" on the Model 3, especially if I never plan on driving over 90mph anyway?

There are two General tires that sound really good and have good ratings. One is a 98W tire and the other is a 98V. The V tire has a higher treadwear rating and is "lower performance." But even the W tire has a 50K treadwear warranty, which isn't bad at all (original has 45K).

I read an article saying that the foam inside the Tesla tires (on an X, I think) made very little ear-noticeable difference in sound level. The main difference was in hitting things like expansion joints, I believe. They said that just steady-state cruising was basically the same sound level with or without the foam. If that's true, then the only other thing would be the range. And I'm guessing we're not going to know that until somebody puts other tires on their 3 and reports back on their findings.