Leaving charging cable plugged into NEMA 14-50

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
I plan to leave my M3 charging cable plugged into the NEMA 14-50 outlet when not charging as a convenience. Any concerns with the cable being left plugged into the NEMA 14-50 long term except to remove it when going on road trips when the charging cable is needed for Supercharging??

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I plan to leave my M3 charging cable plugged into the NEMA 14-50 outlet when not charging as a convenience. Any concerns with the cable being left plugged into the NEMA 14-50 long term except to remove it when going on road trips when the charging cable is needed for Supercharging??
Mine has been plugged in for 4 months straight :)

You don’t need to BYOCable for supercharging. For travel, unless you’re going somewhere with a 110 or 240, you really don’t need to bring anything besides your J1772 adapter.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it is better to leave it plugged in than plug and unplug it every day and wear out the 14-50 outlet (that is not intended for daily plug/unplug use).
Meh. If the connection to the outlet starts feeling loose, then spend $10 for a new outlet and replace it.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Mine has been plugged in for 4 months straight :)

You don’t need to BYOCable for supercharging. For travel, unless you’re going somewhere with a 110 or 240, you really don’t need to bring anything besides your J1772 adapter.
That makes sense. Forgot about the no need for cable for trips except for 110 or 240 which would be pretty rare. Thanks for the reply.

Country
Country
it is better to leave it plugged in than plug and unplug it every day and wear out the 14-50 outlet (that is not intended for daily plug/unplug use).
I thought I had read that logic somewhere before. Makes sense to me. Charging tonight for the first time as car was delivered a week ago and then car went away for a week to get wrapped and tinted. Thx for the reply.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I plan to leave my UMC plugged in to my NEMA 14-50 most of the time (once I have one to plug in), but if you want to take some strain off the outlet/cord and tidy things up a bit, check out these eBay UMC wall mount brackets.

Just picked one up the other day in black...pretty neat 3D-printed piece w/ logo for the garage wall. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TESLA-Mode...obile-Charger-Adapter-Wall-Mount/282940947679

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Speaking of keeping things plugged in, I plan to keep my NEMA 14-30 and other end of the UMC plugged into my car while garaged when we go on vacation for a week. That should be fine correct?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Speaking of keeping things plugged in, I plan to keep my NEMA 14-30 and other end of the UMC plugged into my car while garaged when we go on vacation for a week. That should be fine correct?
Yes, Tesla encourages the charge cable left connected/powered. Just make sure you have set an appropriate charge limit.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, Tesla encourages the charge cable left connected/powered. Just make sure you have set an appropriate charge limit.
Thanks! I set mine at about 75%. My only worry is thunderstorms and power spikes during those storms...but I guess the breaker will take care of that.

UTexas98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I asked about this exactly at delivery (especially storms and power surges), the DS said the breaker, UMC, and car can handle it. I still have unplugged the car when a huge storm is blowing through.

Thanks! I set mine at about 75%. My only worry is thunderstorms and power spikes during those storms...but I guess the breaker will take care of that.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I asked about this exactly at delivery (especially storms and power surges), the DS said the breaker, UMC, and car can handle it. I still have unplugged the car when a huge storm is blowing through.
I agree. If there's a storm going through, why not unplug the car just to be sure.

But if I'm leaving for a two-week vacation, I'd probably rather leave the car plugged in to guard against the software going crazy with a high-drain and killing the battery.

UTexas98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny. We leave on a two week vacation soon. I guess we'll decide then. Although, my in-laws will be around I think they're too scared to go near the cars. heh.

I agree. If there's a storm going through, why not unplug the car just to be sure.

But if I'm leaving for a two-week vacation, I'd probably rather leave the car plugged in to guard against the software going crazy with a high-drain and killing the battery.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Quick - you sure you can leave the car a week? You can leave it over here, I'll move the jeep out of the garage. Won't put more than a few hundred miles on it in a week, but will keep the battery exercised. :)

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Quick - you sure you can leave the car a week? You can leave it over here, I'll move the jeep out of the garage. Won't put more than a few hundred miles on it in a week, but will keep the battery exercised. :)
You would like that wouldn’t you?! :p

CleanEV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Country
Country
I am going to charge at mainly at work via a 14-50 outlet, but will also charge at home on weekends. Is it sensible to buy a second NEMA 14-50 adapter and leave that always plugged in and plug and unplug at the Mobile Connecter unit instead? That way the outlet will not wear out. And the adapter is only $35 via Tesla. Or could that wear out the Mobile Connecter which is way more expensive than a new NEMA 14-50 outlet (unless you need an electrician to re-do it).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am going to charge at mainly at work via a 14-50 outlet, but will also charge at home on weekends. Is it sensible to buy a second NEMA 14-50 adapter and leave that always plugged in and plug and unplug at the Mobile Connecter unit instead? That way the outlet will not wear out. And the adapter is only $35 via Tesla. Or could that wear out the Mobile Connecter which is way more expensive than a new NEMA 14-50 outlet (unless you need an electrician to re-do it).
My suggestion: don't.

Someday in the future, if you notice that the Mobile Connector doesn't fit into the socket at home as snugly as it used to, then purchase a new 14-50 outlet from Lowes or Home Depot and swap it. It will probably be a decade before that's actually necessary.