Learn from my tinting mistake

DLove23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wanted to chime in on this thread and ask a question. I'm on my second Model 3, a P3D to replace my initial LR RWD Model 3 that was plagued with bad paint issues from the factory followed by horrible body shop work in an attempt to correct those issues. Tesla was kind enough to buy the car back and let me re-order another one, and I took that opportunity to go all-out :D

My original M3 had 35% tint all around (except the windshield), with the top done in one piece. While I loved the look of the side windows and the back window from the outside I didn't like how the double tint made the roof so dark you couldn't really see the stars at night time. I don't want to do half-tint, but I don't want to leave the back glass totally clear either. What percentage tint would be good to darken the back glass decently from the outside but keep visibility on the top of the roof that is double tinted? 50%?

DLove23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It doesn't look too bad. I wish I could see the rear glass instead of just the glass roof over the front seats. I wonder how much it cuts down on visibility for the rear cabin as well. Being that it's a fabric mesh it can't imagine it having the same clarity as tint but I'd have to see it. Still hoping I can find a happy medium for a permanent tint job.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It doesn't look too bad. I wish I could see the rear glass instead of just the glass roof over the front seats. I wonder how much it cuts down on visibility for the rear cabin as well. Being that it's a fabric mesh it can't imagine it having the same clarity as tint but I'd have to see it. Still hoping I can find a happy medium for a permanent tint job.
when you select the 'rear' option from the pull down, it includes a comparison photo.

DLove23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
when you select the 'rear' option from the pull down, it includes a comparison photo.
Thanks! I did see that when I was doing my research. I wonder what it looks like on the outside? One thing I didn't like was how the mesh protrudes a bit from the window, leaving less headspace.

marcsf

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I have the rear sun shade on my S, it’s tough to see through at night and dusk. I’d much rather have the photosync (or similar) tint with infrared filter and good visibility.