Learn from my tinting mistake

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About to tint my Model 3....what is lowest you can go on the rear window tint while still maintaining good/excellent visibility at night in poorly lit areas? 30? 40? 50? 60?
I have 30% and visibility at night is perfect in my opinion.

OCISLY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New to the forum. I'm looking for recommendations for quality tint installers in South or Central Florida. Recovering from a miserable experience with a local national brand shop.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New to the forum. I'm looking for recommendations for quality tint installers in South or Central Florida. Recovering from a miserable experience with a local national brand shop.
Was it Tint World that you had a bad experience with? I had a bad experience with my local shop (Coral Tint) that always did good work previously and I’m trying to figure out where to take my wife’s car.

Norm Rechtman

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I’m in South Florida too, where did you have your tint done? The problem with the rear window, is that shops don’t want to spend the money on 60” tint

Kenluskin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last Saturday, I went in with a plan...

30% front sides/rear sides
50% full rear window (I had a fear of going too dark over the already tinted part).

I got to the shop with my plan and the guy told me they had already done 2 and his recommendation was to cut the back window at the top defroster line. Split second decision, I agree with his plan and went with 30% since it wouldn’t cover the whole window now.

Well, it didn’t take more than a few minutes before I seriously regretted this decision. It’s true you don’t see it when looking in the rear view, but it just looks “wrong”. With my OCD tendencies this couldn’t stay this way. Not to mention the 30% didn’t appear to be too dark at all on the overlap part.

Moral of the story, I’m back at the tint place now sitting for a few hours while they remove and retint the entire back window as a single piece in 30%.

Here’s what it looked like and picture to come later once they’re done installing the new piece.

Moral of the story if you have OCD tendencies like me, do not get talked into anything less than the full rear window being done!

View attachment 5768

Edit: adding the after picture to the OP

View attachment 9980

LTucker

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not a fan of that harsh line where it stops. Fortunately my tint guy knows about the window and said he could do it in one piece with out any issue.

Thanks SoFla and everyone else for the helpful info!
Adam, where did you get your car tinted in Birmingham? I am looking for a place to get mine done. Thanks!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK guys. I made big mistake and have ruined the tint on the rear window of my 3. You can see my post here . But essentially, don't use a suction cup mount dash cam over the lines of the defroster on the rear window. You will pull the air from around the line and make a big air pocket. I have to get the rear window tint replaced on Tuesday.
img_1601-jpg.17653

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK guys. I made big mistake and have ruined the tint on the rear window of my 3. You can see my post here . But essentially, don't use a suction cup mount dash cam over the lines of the defroster on the rear window. You will pull the air from around the line and make a big air pocket. I have to get the rear window tint replaced on Tuesday.
View attachment 17653
Took RUBY WOO in yesterday for the rear window tint replacement. He said he didn't want to have to do that ever again! It wouldn't let go with the Steamer, so he spent hours working it off so as not to damage the defroster. Then had to use lots of chemicals to get the glue off. Apparently this was a messy job. But they got the tint off and a new one on. So lesson learned I guess.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m in South Florida too, where did you have your tint done? The problem with the rear window, is that shops don’t want to spend the money on 60” tint
Agree. I'm just south of Chicago and this is the response I received today.

Ryan after conversing with a few other people in the industry we would not be able to do the rear window in 1 piece. We could do it in 2 pieces with a seam would be the only way for the us. First off you would need a 60" roll of film which is expensive to buy a roll for one window. Secondly after talking with some who have tried it and has ended up that they were not able to get it done. The piece of film is too large and you are not able to shrink the film 2 different directions which will leave fingers on the sides. Hope this helps!

Darelldd

Ryan after conversing with a few other people in the industry we would not be able to do the rear window in 1 piece. We could do it in 2 pieces with a seam would be the only way for the us. First off you would need a 60" roll of film which is expensive to buy a roll for one window. Secondly after talking with some who have tried it and has ended up that they were not able to get it done. The piece of film is too large and you are not able to shrink the film 2 different directions which will leave fingers on the sides. Hope this helps!
Wow. They could have saved a lot of typing and just said, "We're just not that good." Lots of places out there doing this in one piece. Of course these guys don't do just "one" Model 3... but have no fewer than 10 in the shop at any given time!

Norm Rechtman

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I had my entire car tinted including the full rear window, the glass above the driver, the windshield and side windows with Llumar ceramic film, 35% all around and 70% on the front windshield

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Hey it's better for them to let you know they can't handle the job versus try and fail. It's definitely doable and many of us have had it done without issue. The only proper way to get it done is with a single piece covering the whole glass.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll have to say that as I have aged, my mid 50's eyes aren't quite as good as they once were. We have tinted windows on the RWD and I do like the looks, but it is a bit difficult at night to see all I want to see, especially if it is raining. The AWD has not been tinted yet. We will, but I'm going with a lighter tint on the back window. If you go very dark, it gets really really dark at night. Some can and will argue with me, it is a personal preference for me.

I've got to look up what percentage I have on back, but I'm going to lighten it on the second car. Part of this is likely made worse by the fact that Tesla still doesn't have the dimming mirrors working quite right. Once they get those nailed the tint may not be as big of an impact.

As others noted though, there are plenty of good tinters out there that can do it in one piece, I wouldn't compromise on that. If they don't want to to do it, find someone else.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'll have to say that as I have aged, my mid 50's eyes aren't quite as good as they once were. We have tinted windows on the RWD and I do like the looks, but it is a bit difficult at night to see all I want to see, especially if it is raining. The AWD has not been tinted yet. We will, but I'm going with a lighter tint on the back window. If you go very dark, it gets really really dark at night. Some can and will argue with me, it is a personal preference for me.

I've got to look up what percentage I have on back, but I'm going to lighten it on the second car. Part of this is likely made worse by the fact that Tesla still doesn't have the dimming mirrors working quite right. Once they get those nailed the tint may not be as big of an impact.

As others noted though, there are plenty of good tinters out there that can do it in one piece, I wouldn't compromise on that. If they don't want to to do it, find someone else.
I wish the interior (ceiling) lights were at least twice as bright as well........with the tint on all that glass it is pretty dark inside the car when the sun has gone down....

TesLA3XL

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi - new to the forum & wanted to get some clarity on tinting the M.3 before we pick our up this Sunday.

How dark is the roof relative to the other windows & rear window - coming from the factory? % wise?

When I ask for tint @ 35% on the side windows - what should I do for roof & rear?
Asking this last question because I have never really pay particular attention to the roof & rear window coloring.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi - new to the forum & wanted to get some clarity on tinting the M.3 before we pick our up this Sunday.

How dark is the roof relative to the other windows & rear window - coming from the factory? % wise?

When I ask for tint @ 35% on the side windows - what should I do for roof & rear?
Asking this last question because I have never really pay particular attention to the roof & rear window coloring.
I haven't seen anyone actually test the factory tint on the upper rear/sunroof of the Model 3, but I would imagine it's pretty close to a typical SUV factory tint at about 20% TLV.

Personally since I was tinting EVERYTHING and I wanted it all to blend evenly I went 40% TLV. *Details/Link in my signature.

I didn't want to over darken the already tinted areas and at the same time stay off the radar of the Po-Po since front window tinting beyond 70% TLV is technically illegal here in NJ.

You should note though, regardless of how dark you go in the rear the part you actually view out with the mirror is basically the lower untinted section, so no worries about doubling up there. It's more the roof/sunroof and your preference of how much you would like to see out.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I went with 30% on the sides and the rear as a single piece. There really is no perfect science because of the back window is ready tinted and because it has a gradient there is no way to do the back window nicely aside from doing the entire window, so tint over tint. At 30% tint, I find the already tinted part to still allow for great visibility.