Late Reservation - Long Delay - What to do?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockNRy

Country
Country
Hi all.

I placed my reservation in July of 2017 (Very Late) and always anticipated a wait - I had always had the ambition to purchase a model 3, even on day 1. However, explaining to the CFO (wife) that I wanted to put $1k down on a fictional vehicle was a difficult pitch and ultimately a lost battle. Around last July, I was able to place the reservation and get my name on the list. My original expected delivery date and the first pushback date worked for us. This Feb push to the right put me in a tough spot - but I was going to figure it out.

I had a conversation with my IS and it all began with a desperation email as follows:
--------------------------
Hi There,

I know you are probably getting requests and/or angry emails every day about why people haven't gotten the opportunity to configure yet - or people complaining that they're in the wrong bucket - etc.. This one isn't quite intended to be this way.

The latest push has put me in a very difficult bind, and I am hoping there is something you can do to help. I have been extending the lease on Lexus for the past 4 months and can only extend through to April 22nd. With the latest push, my Model 3 delivery window has moved back to July-September. I don't have many options to make this work out well at this point - but I REALLY don't want to cancel my reservation.

Is there ANY way you can help? Whether that's adding an "owner status" to the reservation or maybe change my reservation date to move up my delivery window. Perhaps you could make me an "employee" for the day - hell - I'd even mop the floors if need be (I have experience doing this, if need be I can send my resume - ha!). Maybe there is a Model 3 just laying around that an owner configured but cancelled and now has to be reassigned/resold. Even if that's anywhere in the country (with the exception of Alaska). Literally ANY option?? I would really appreciate any help you could offer.

What I can promise if you can help and I get the model 3 before I go carless - 1) I won't write anything bad about tesla in the forums/emails/press/pony express/guide to the galaxy 2) I will be patient with service (if needed) 3) I will participate heavily in local enthusiasm groups to grow the brand and culture

At the end of the day, I really want the Model 3 but this latest push may make me end up owning a prius or a leaf - and we both know we don't want that to happen. If I could afford the Model S/X that'd be a no-brainer, but I can't justify it.

I am just in a bad place and could really use the help. If you can't help, hopefully you at least enjoyed the email.

Cheers,

---------------------------------
About 2 weeks later, I received a call from IS and I thought "NO WAY it workeddd!" But he was unable to help (not surprised). He did offer me a couple suggestions; one of which caught me off guard:

- Find a family member, or friend, or neighbor that currently owns a Tesla and have them place a NEW reservation with your name on it.

(Say WHAT?) The IS seriously said to use someone that wasn't immediate family. He did mention that the registration/loan issues would have to be worked out throughout delivery.

Now - Why would he tell me to have an owner place a new reservation, instead of merging like @SoFlaModel3 did? I understand that Tesla owners should get priority, but he made it clear there was not a theoretical cutoff. If an owner places an order now, they will receive the Model 3 months before me. I understand. But it's a bitter pill to swallow.

So what should I do? Find a friend? Wait?

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Archer

Country
Country
That's easy: Find a family member, friend or neighbor that will work with you. Always use anything at your disposal to help you achieve what you want... as long as it's not illegal.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all.

I placed my reservation in July of 2017 (Very Late) and always anticipated a wait - I had always had the ambition to purchase a model 3, even on day 1. However, explaining to the CFO (wife) that I wanted to put $1k down on a fictional vehicle was a difficult pitch and ultimately a lost battle. Around last July, I was able to place the reservation and get my name on the list. My original expected delivery date and the first pushback date worked for us. This Feb push to the right put me in a tough spot - but I was going to figure it out.

I had a conversation with my IS and it all began with a desperation email as follows:
--------------------------
Hi There,

I know you are probably getting requests and/or angry emails every day about why people haven't gotten the opportunity to configure yet - or people complaining that they're in the wrong bucket - etc.. This one isn't quite intended to be this way.

The latest push has put me in a very difficult bind, and I am hoping there is something you can do to help. I have been extending the lease on Lexus for the past 4 months and can only extend through to April 22nd. With the latest push, my Model 3 delivery window has moved back to July-September. I don't have many options to make this work out well at this point - but I REALLY don't want to cancel my reservation.

Is there ANY way you can help? Whether that's adding an "owner status" to the reservation or maybe change my reservation date to move up my delivery window. Perhaps you could make me an "employee" for the day - hell - I'd even mop the floors if need be (I have experience doing this, if need be I can send my resume - ha!). Maybe there is a Model 3 just laying around that an owner configured but cancelled and now has to be reassigned/resold. Even if that's anywhere in the country (with the exception of Alaska). Literally ANY option?? I would really appreciate any help you could offer.

What I can promise if you can help and I get the model 3 before I go carless - 1) I won't write anything bad about tesla in the forums/emails/press/pony express/guide to the galaxy 2) I will be patient with service (if needed) 3) I will participate heavily in local enthusiasm groups to grow the brand and culture

At the end of the day, I really want the Model 3 but this latest push may make me end up owning a prius or a leaf - and we both know we don't want that to happen. If I could afford the Model S/X that'd be a no-brainer, but I can't justify it.

I am just in a bad place and could really use the help. If you can't help, hopefully you at least enjoyed the email.

Cheers,

---------------------------------
About 2 weeks later, I received a call from IS and I thought "NO WAY it workeddd!" But he was unable to help (not surprised). He did offer me a couple suggestions; one of which caught me off guard:

- Find a family member, or friend, or neighbor that currently owns a Tesla and have them place a NEW reservation with your name on it.

(Say WHAT?) The IS seriously said to use someone that wasn't immediate family. He did mention that the registration/loan issues would have to be worked out throughout delivery.

Now - Why would he tell me to have an owner place a new reservation, instead of merging like @SoFlaModel3 did? I understand that Tesla owners should get priority, but he made it clear there was not a theoretical cutoff. If an owner places an order now, they will receive the Model 3 months before me. I understand. But it's a bitter pill to swallow.

So what should I do? Find a friend? Wait?

Any other suggestions are appreciated!
I can tell you that I’m 22 days into ownership and my car is still stuck under my parent’s Tesla account. No big deal I have full access to the app and the car is properly registered in my name. They said they are backlogged on transfers (supposed to be 3-5 days and as I said now at 22 days and holding...).

Given your time crunk, I suspect he was spot on that placing a new reservation under an existing owner gets you into the next batch where transferring your reservation like I did would do the same but tack on delay time for the reservation transfer.

Last note, when I transferred my reservation it took a few hours, so clearly something has changed.

Alternatively I could be way off. Maybe Reservation transfers are easy and VIN transfers are hard/different.

Lasty, I wish you the best, but (and obviously don’t take this the wrong way), I’m happy for the masses that they didn’t allow you to jump the line. That would have been a bloodbath for them if it worked and you posted online about it. Do you have any family (long lost perhaps...) that have a Tesla?

RockNRy

Country
Country
Not taken the wrong way - I was really looking to get other options, not necessarily asking for a free pass to the top. Their response was exactly what I thought it would be (and should have been). His guidance was spot on, and he helped me understand that if I wanted the car sooner - I need to find an owner to place a new reservation. He did not seem to care if it was family or not - but this might be an effect of my plea for help.

I don't feel great doing it is the problem. What is likely going to happen is Tesla will work through the day 1 non-owners now and maybe a couple more months, then start modifying the production line for the dual motor. This means there will be another huge swath of orders to sift through before getting to me way down the list - even though I am willing to purchase the current "first production" configuration.

Maybe I will wait for a few more batches of invites to go out, then make an attempt to track down an owner (family or not) for a second reservation and see what happens.

@SoFlaModel3 - With regards to your order specifically, when you configured did you enter your name for the registration - or did you have you parents on there first? I assume your loan is under only your name? Being under the same app would be weird for a while, but I am sure it isn't that much of a deal - just make sure you supercharge as often as you can!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 - With regards to your order specifically, when you configured did you enter your name for the registration - or did you have you parents on there first? I assume your loan is under only your name? Being under the same app would be weird for a while, but I am sure it isn't that much of a deal - just make sure you supercharge as often as you can!
After configuring you enter your delivery zip code as well as the owner’s name as it will appear on the car’s registration. That name does not have to match the name on the Tesla account and so my car is fully mine in just my name (registration and loan), it’s just temporarily stuck in my dad’s Tesla account :)

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After configuring you enter your delivery zip code as well as the owner’s name as it will appear on the car’s registration. That name does not have to match the name on the Tesla account and so my car is fully mine in just my name (registration and loan), it’s just temporarily stuck in my dad’s Tesla account :)
@SoFlaModel3, how would a transfer work if the existing Tesla owner is just a good friend and not a family member? Would they allow the transfer? It sounds like it would be better to have the existing Tesla owner just put in a new reservation and when configuring, put in the new owner name and address for the registration of the new car.

Archer

Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3, how would a transfer work if the existing Tesla owner is just a good friend and not a family member? Would they allow the transfer? It sounds like it would be better to have the existing Tesla owner just put in a new reservation and when configuring, put in the new owner name and address for the registration of the new car.
You can always claim they are your brother/sister in law. Doubt they'll request a marriage certificate. Would explain the different last names :D

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t want to start a flurry of gaming the system moves with my reply and truthfully I don’t know the answer, but in reality you can put whatever name you want in that registration field. Are they going to check on it....? Yes... no.... maybe. Obviously none of us know. My gut says it works with a friend, but proceed at your own risk of course :)

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Guys,
I am really sorry yet I am going to close those thread.

There are literally thousands of people in the same bind as you, @RockNRy , with expiring leases and having to deal with extended wait time.
You do know how many people reserved before you, right? More than half a million...

To your point, you got the answer you expect and you deserve. I also don’t believe it is the role of members of this forum to encourage dishonest gaming.

As I said. Hot button here.
Good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.