Laser Etch Center Console

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Alighieri256

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Working on a pattern to etch into the center console, to at least make fingerprints a little less noticeable. Any thoughts on this pattern? Also, does anyone know what the material is?

20180201_140305-jpg.5396

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Working on a pattern to etch into the center console, to at least make fingerprints a little less noticeable. Any thoughts on this pattern? Also, does anyone know what the material is?

View attachment 5396
My guess would be polyurethane. Laser etching should work. You may also be able to burn a pseudo carbon fiber pattern since your etching seems to produce a grain

Alighieri256

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My guess would be polyurethane. Laser etching should work. You may also be able to burn a pseudo carbon fiber pattern since your etching seems to produce a grain
The carbon idea is good too. I'll see how close I can come. Although I'm guessing real carbon fiber may eventually be an option.

Also, the engraver only produces a grain in one direction. So to really make use of that effect, I'd have to do a checker pattern, then perfectly locate at 90 degrees, which is probably going to be tough.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
The carbon idea is good too. I'll see how close I can come. Although I'm guessing real carbon fiber may eventually be an option.

Also, the engraver only produces a grain in one direction. So to really make use of that effect, I'd have to do a checker pattern, then perfectly locate at 90 degrees, which is probably going to be tough.
Real carbon fiber is expensive. If you have access to a laser machine then etching is basically free. What about doing it mostly as a carbon fiber pattern with a larger Tesla logo in the center? That would look GREAT!

Alighieri256

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Real carbon fiber is expensive. If you have access to a laser machine then etching is basically free. What about doing it mostly as a carbon fiber pattern with a larger Tesla logo in the center? That would look GREAT!
Another great idea!