Largest personal check on delivery day?

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I plan to pay a small portion with financing, and the larger portion with a personal check. Is there a limit on how much they will accept (if at all?) Not a huge deal, but it saves me making another stop at the bank to get a cashier's check.

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I plan to pay a small portion with financing, and the larger portion with a personal check. Is there a limit on how much they will accept (if at all?) Not a huge deal, but it saves me making another stop at the bank to get a cashier's check.
You will be able to do an ACH deposit of funds from your personal account to Tesla within your My Tesla Account. The payment portal opens up within 48-hours or more of delivery. It will be on the "manage" screen above where you uploaded your confirmation documents like your driver's license and proof of insurance. You need your routing number and full bank account number; your bank's customer service can help you get those if your online banking website does not readily provide it.

I think they will request a wire transfer
A wire transfer is another alternative to ACH transferring of funds. It takes more setup by both your bank and Tesla, so let your ISA know if you intend to do a wire transfer.

If you don't want to do ACH or wire, you will need to bring a cashier's check (not a personal check) for the remaining amount. I know that Tesla's support page says to make the check out to "Tesla Motors, Inc." but I think that is not current; verify the "to" with your ISA.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
previous people said any 'cash' will need to be done thru a bank transfer.
That'd work. Assuming it's the kind where they just use my routing and account number and process it on the spot.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your ISA will ask you how much you're financing so it can be specified in the final documents. Once you've received the final documents your Tesla account will be updated to allow you to transfer the cash amount from your checking account. I assume you have until delivery to do the transfer.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You will be able to do an ACH deposit of funds from your personal account to Tesla within your My Tesla Account. The payment portal opens up within 48-hours or more of delivery. It will be on the "manage" screen above where you uploaded your confirmation documents like your driver's license and proof of insurance. You need your routing number and full bank account number; your bank's customer service can help you get those if your online banking website does not readily provide it.
Thanks Audrey, ACH is what I was thinking of. That would be really convenient.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Transfer or cashier's check is accepted. You just go to your bank and "buy" a cashier's check.

nameless

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I was able to do an ACH for the entire outstanding amount straight from the brokerage account two weeks before delivery. Got a VIN on 3/16, the online payment form was open on 3/19 and the delivery was on 4/2. All you need is the routing number and your account number.

I wouldn't expect them to take personal checks at delivery at all. The payment has to clear before you take delivery.

Joaquin

Country
Country
About ACH, I usually have issues with my bank (not listed), so third party sites usually need to send 2 small deposit amounts to my account, and I need to provide that numbers in order to verify the ACH details.

Anybody know if Tesla provides also such "verification" account process?

I'm a bit afraid this may delay the whole process if I decide to use ACH, so maybe I will just use a cashier's check.

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About ACH, I usually have issues with my bank (not listed), so third party sites usually need to send 2 small deposit amounts to my account, and I need to provide that numbers in order to verify the ACH details.

Anybody know if Tesla provides also such "verification" account process?

I'm a bit afraid this may delay the whole process if I decide to use ACH, so maybe I will just use a cashier's check.
What you're describing is called prenote. That is determined by the institution initiating the transaction. You won't need to do it for the ACH payment with Tesla. They don't pronote, which is riskier for Tesla. Instead they withdraw the funds very quickly (within 48 hours). If your routing and account numbers are valid you'll have no problem.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it's large you'd better get it certified otherwise Tesla could delay your delivery without proof of funds.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it's large you'd better get it certified otherwise Tesla could delay your delivery without proof of funds.
With ACH method mentioned above, the transfer should be fully in my Tesla account before delivery day. But I will verify when they contact me.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
In late 2016, they happily took a personal check, written in front of them, for the full amount on a Model X.

They know where you live, and if you don't pay, the car is legally still theirs so they can track and disable the car electronically. So it never struck me as odd that they would just take a personal check.

Naveed

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am in the process of making payment, while my delivery of model 3 is coming up in 10 days, so 2 options given once contracts are finalized, either use pay online through Wire Transfer while logged in your account and under manage account and payment method tab.

If you decide to get a bank certified cashier’s check, make payable to TESLA MOTORS INC. and bring to your delivery.
R

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
They know where you live, and if you don't pay, the car is legally still theirs so they can track and disable the car electronically. So it never struck me as odd that they would just take a personal check.
I walked into a Ford dealer in 2010 as an unknown person living in a town 45 minutes away. They took a personal check for $37,000 with nothing more than my driver's license and let me drive it away. The truck didn't have any way to be remotely disabled. If there are no red flags the risk they will have to repo it is small (and they will know pretty quickly). I was surprised to find out that Tesla doesn't take personal checks. Do they take MC, VISA or AE? That would cost them! Do they accept cash?
We got our invite last Sunday (but no VIN yet).