Lake Havasu Help!!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, Google Maps provides "as the crow flies" distances but if you route yourself to the Supercharger you will get an accurate driving distance.
I'm not sure we are saying the same thing. If you are trying to determine which supercharger to hit next, tap the screen so that the various icons appear at the right margin, the bottom icon will bring up a list the superchargers closest to you along with mileages to each. the mileages are grossly understated. They might be "as the crow flies", but why? I don't intend to fly there. Early in my 12K mile road trip, I took these mileages literally and nearly got myself in a pickle until I realized the error. For example, I just brought up the list on my car's screen. It shows 7 superchargers on that list with mileages from 8 to 77 miles. I happen to know that the closest on in Athens, Ga is not 8 miles away, but 12. The one listed at 77 miles away is Macon, Ga. It's 93 -96 miles away depending on which Google maps route I take. Google maps route are clearly not as the crow fiies. This is a potentially serious gaffe in the Tesla UI that, until fixed, I just wanted travelers to be aware of. By the way, if you choose a supercharger, and route yourself there, the NAV distance will then be correct. You just can't rely on the distances shown on the "nearest 7" list, or you might select a supercharger that is out of range.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
They might be "as the crow flies", but why? I don't intend to fly there.
Because the distance by road varies depending upon which route you take. Until you select a route it can't possibly know if you want to take a dirt road, a ferry or a bridge, a toll-road or a slow back-country road over a faster (but longer) superhighway. So it gives you the absolute distance until you select a route at which point it calculates the exact distance for the route you selected.

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you stay in Motels a lot you should carry an assortment of UMC adapters because they generally have the window A/C right by where you park. They typically run on 15, 20 or 30 amps and 240 volts so you can get a decent charge overnight if you unplug the A/C unit. Of course if you like to sleep with the rattle-trap A/C blaring away all night this won't work.
Only place I stay at motels is in Lake Havasu. i Prefer nicer hotels and this won’t be the car we generally make road trips with. It will be for my daughter to commute back and forth to high school (18 miles each way). The charger I need to plug into my RV hookup at home is out of stock. The only other trip we may make is to Vegas but I doubt that or if we decided to go up the coast to San Francisco. We generally don’t travel to remote locations...

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because the distance by road varies depending upon which route you take. Until you select a route it can't possibly know if you want to take a dirt road, a ferry or a bridge, a toll-road or a slow back-country road over a faster (but longer) superhighway. So it gives you the absolute distance until you select a route at which point it calculates the exact distance for the route you selected.
I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around this @PNWmisty . Yes, after I select a supercharger from the list, there may be any number of routes I may take to get there, but once I input it as my destination, there is only one route that the car will show(generally the quickest). Why not display that mileage on the list? I stumbled upon this quirk on my road trip as I meandered across the country. Because I had no set itinerary I would use that list of nearby superchargers to decide which way to head next, and how much charge I needed to get there. Along the way, as I was charging somewhere, I chose a next SCer, which the car said was, say, 210 miles away. So, giving myself my normal buffer I would charge to about 270, then proceed on my merry way. When in route to that SCer, I was shocked to then discover that it was not 210 away, but 295; necessitating a new plan. Once I realized this fault, the obvious solution is to navigate to the next stop before leaving the SCer. It is a defect in the software that, I have no doubt. will be rectified in time. I only want to warn others not to rely on those mileages.

jsanford

Eloise the 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's funny is, while the "guess-o-meter" is convenient for seeing how many miles you approximately have left, it actually might add to range anxiety. Gasoline vehicles don't display the amount of fuel you have left as estimated miles (some of them tell you that on a secondary display, but not as a main fuel gauge), they show it as a percentage or a fraction.
Beg to differ—most fuel-injection motorcycles do, with varying degrees of accuracy—my BMW was accurate give or take 40 miles, but when my Ducati says I have 20 miles until empty, I don’t have 20.1 miles (guess how I know?).

We’ve always used the trip planner in the car—and even in a snowstorm over an Oregon mountain pass, it’s never scared us; unlike our own imagination.