Lake Havasu Help!!

shareef777

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's funny is, while the "guess-o-meter" is convenient for seeing how many miles you approximately have left, it actually might add to range anxiety. Gasoline vehicles don't display the amount of fuel you have left as estimated miles (some of them tell you that on a secondary display, but not as a main fuel gauge), they show it as a percentage or a fraction.

I mention that because in an average car, 75 miles is equivalent to just about 1/4 tank of gas. Not exactly a comfortable margin in a gas car either, but enough so most people are not afraid to drive around looking for fuel. In an EV, though, you have an option you don't have with a gas car - plug it into a common 110 volt outlet, and add a little bit more range while you think about where to charge it up.

And anyone who tells you that 1/4 tank in a gas car is never scary has never been to a small town. The gas stations there often close after a certain time, especially on a holiday. You can quite easily find yourself with a diminishing tank of gas driving around trying to find someplace to fuel up.
Range anxiety isn’t about being able to find an outlet. It’s about having to wait so long to fill up (often screwing up plans). As others have pointed out be sure to plug in and top off at any and all times available.

I’m running into range anxiety right now as I have a long 800 mile drive tomorrow and am worried I’ll hit full superchargers (holiday weekend) that’ll cause my drive home to be extended by a couple hours. The drive is already planned to be 15hrs and the idea I hit a couple full ones and extend the drive to 17hrs would suck and force me to stop at a hotel.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You should stop at more superchargers than recommended. Top up for 10 minutes, drink some water, take a restroom break. You can then probably skip the crowded superchargers and arrived more refreshed. Bjorn Nyland does that in his road trip videos now, and it’s brilliant. Makes the trip only slightly longer, but predictably so.

His videos are a pretty good example of how to do an EV road trip, because he doesn’t hypermile the whole way and try to squeeze every drop of juice from the battery (unless he’s specifically testing that). He speeds, tries to beat deadlines, passes other drivers, and tries to charge as quickly as possible.

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's funny is, while the "guess-o-meter" is convenient for seeing how many miles you approximately have left, it actually might add to range anxiety. Gasoline vehicles don't display the amount of fuel you have left as estimated miles (some of them tell you that on a secondary display, but not as a main fuel gauge), they show it as a percentage or a fraction.

I mention that because in an average car, 75 miles is equivalent to just about 1/4 tank of gas. Not exactly a comfortable margin in a gas car either, but enough so most people are not afraid to drive around looking for fuel. In an EV, though, you have an option you don't have with a gas car - plug it into a common 110 volt outlet, and add a little bit more range while you think about where to charge it up.

And anyone who tells you that 1/4 tank in a gas car is never scary has never been to a small town. The gas stations there often close after a certain time, especially on a holiday. You can quite easily find yourself with a diminishing tank of gas driving around trying to find someplace to fuel up.
Ok. We are up to 135 miles. So even if we drive around today (maybe 15 miles) and charge tonight we will be fine! If I would have just plugged into an outlet at the hotel the first night, this all would have been avoided. 🤣🤣🤣 At least I now know...also I now know the difference between chargers. At the heat hotel, if I wasn’t so worried. I could have hooked up, ask management and then went to eat at the Mexican restaurant next door. And got some charge. We are learning. She won’t be going on many road trips...mostly Orange County driving and if she does it will be here to Havasu and she will stay at our place. With 4th of July everyone was staying and I wanted to have a pool and we haven’t finished our plans yet.

All of your help was invaluable. Thank you so much. And now I know if she does go on a small trip when she can drive, we have an amazing group of people to help out!!

We are off onto the boat today! I hope you all had a great 4th of July!!!

Jim H

Country
Country
Ok. We are up to 135 miles. So even if we drive around today (maybe 15 miles) and charge tonight we will be fine! If I would have just plugged into an outlet at the hotel the first night, this all would have been avoided. 🤣🤣🤣 At least I now know...also I now know the difference between chargers. At the heat hotel, if I wasn’t so worried. I could have hooked up, ask management and then went to eat at the Mexican restaurant next door. And got some charge. We are learning. She won’t be going on many road trips...mostly Orange County driving and if she does it will be here to Havasu and she will stay at our place. With 4th of July everyone was staying and I wanted to have a pool and we haven’t finished our plans yet.

All of your help was invaluable. Thank you so much. And now I know if she does go on a small trip when she can drive, we have an amazing group of people to help out!!

Another thing to remember is cabin overheat protection. Havasu is plenty hot now, and the M3 has overheat protection available, which will use up some of you range. So if that is activated and you can back to the car hours later, you will have less than the 135 miles you started with.
Just another learning point.

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another thing to remember is cabin overheat protection. Havasu is plenty hot now, and the M3 has overheat protection available, which will use up some of you range. So if that is activated and you can back to the car hours later, you will have less than the 135 miles you started with.
Just another learning point.
I have the overheat no AC only fan on. We are just keeping it plugged in at my sisters all day. Should be at 90% by the time we get off the boat. Then we can plug into the hotel tonight.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the overheat no AC only fan on. We are just keeping it plugged in at my sisters all day. Should be at 90% by the time we get off the boat. Then we can plug into the hotel tonight.
I have my cabin overheat protection on with allowed A/C but I have a constant internal debate about it. I almost always turn on the A/C before I leave somewhere, so it might be completely pointless to also use overheat protection. You'd think after a year I'd have these things figured out by now. :)

MacInfoSys

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Enjoy your time on the water and be safe! We often go to the river and stay in Needles on the water and have a truck there with our boat. But we drive out with our car and stop at Needles to "juice up". The times I have driven into Havasu directly, I go through Needles and not Parker and make sure I top off before heading into Havasu so I don't have to worry about dealing with hotel chargers. BUT don't be afraid to ask hotels or other destination charging sites that are not available to the general public for access as long as you explain to them your low battery capacity state. I have been in that cituation before and they have not turned me away.

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We will be charged to 100 % by morning!

Are there any apps that are like a “better route planner”. It’s a pain to use on the phone web browser.

Or is the Tesla navigation best to use? I like apps and not using a web browser. 🤷🏻‍♀️

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Are there any apps that are like a “better route planner”. It’s a pain to use on the phone web browser.

Or is the Tesla navigation best to use? I like apps and not using a web browser. 🤷🏻‍♀️
The system in the car will even let you know to "reduce speed to 65 mph to reach your destination" if you have input a destination. Also, if you get used to using the trip tab of your energy graph(only works when a destination is entered), you'll find it quite accurate at predicting your SOC at arrival and updating based upon your driving. One caveat, don't pay attention to the trip graph for the first 20 miles or so. It's very pessimistic as it "calibrates" the trip and will make you worry needlessly.

shareef777

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I look at ABRP as a great planning site. It’ll list SC needed for your route so you can plan longer breaks (breakfast/lunch/dinner) accordingly. Especially if you input your starting departure time.

But when it comes time to drive. The built in Navi is the way

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
She won’t be going on many road trips...mostly Orange County driving and if she does it will be here to Havasu and she will stay at our place.
Don’t be afraid of the road trips. Just plan things out. I’m a few weeks short of having my car 1 year and have gone just under 26k miles so far without running out of juice!

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We are charged to 💯 which shows 239 miles. So we will be good. Probably have to stop at 1 supercharger. When we get home I’ll bring the charge back down to 80%. Thanks again everyone for helping us on our first little mini road trip!

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We are charged to 💯 which shows 239 miles. So we will be good. Probably have to stop at 1 supercharger. When we get home I’ll bring the charge back down to 80%. Thanks again everyone for helping us on our first little mini road trip!
Are you familiar with the battery care? Don’t charge to 100% unless you have to and don’t let it sit at 100%.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I charge daily to 90%, because that's what the Tesla delivery rep charged it to on delivery day. I've been keeping it there because it's nice to have the extra range just in case - and I work for a company which sometimes sends me out to other locations. Since you have a Standard Range and go on road trips occasionally, you should probably make it a practice to charge to 90% as well.

If one of you reading this is just about to hit Post Reply and tell me why 70%, 75%, 80% or 85% is better for the battery: Soon after I took delivery, Tesla and Elon both said that 90% daily is fine. I haven't seen any definitive agreement on any other charge level since, just matters of preference partially supported by statistics. So I still stick to 90%.

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I charge daily to 90%, because that's what the Tesla delivery rep charged it to on delivery day. I've been keeping it there because it's nice to have the extra range just in case - and I work for a company which sometimes sends me out to other locations. Since you have a Standard Range and go on road trips occasionally, you should probably make it a practice to charge to 90% as well.

If one of you reading this is just about to hit Post Reply and tell me why 70%, 75%, 80% or 85% is better for the battery: Soon after I took delivery, Tesla and Elon both said that 90% daily is fine. I haven't seen any definitive agreement on any other charge level since, just matters of preference partially supported by statistics. So I still stick to 90%.
I charged to 75% before we left because I was worried about ruining the battery. After reading...I should have charged higher. And when I stopped charged to 90%. I did 100% because I wanted to cut down on stops. We will probably keep it around 80% because we won’t drive it a lot for everyday use. Back and forth to school etc...on trips that we rarely take we will up it to 90% and now know to just plug into a wall outlet if needed. It was a good first road trip. And I feel confident we could take a long trip if needed!!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've done 31K miles in exactly 9 months of which about 22K miles are road trips. Unless rain or cold requires a different strategy, I

1) Charge to !00% at home moments before departure
2) Enter my final daily destination in the car's NAV
3) Let the car select my first supercharge, I might overide this if there are other options that fit my available range and/or my biological needs.
4) Make supercharging stop, plug in, allow NAV to show next SC stop, and use Google maps to tell me how far to that SC(do not ever rely on
in-car list of SC's to tell you how far away SC's are, for some reason those mileages shown are ALWAYS understated). I then add 20% and
20miles to the range required to reach the next SC. So if it's 200 miles to my next SC, I charge to, at minimum, 260 miles. This gives me a
buffer that keeps me comfortable.
5) Set charge limit to 100%, and go do my business. Depart after my business is done or wait for minimum comfortable charge.
6) Navigate to next SCer, lather, rinse, repeat.

Use your trip consumption graph. It's very accurate after the first 20 miles or so of a leg. If the car tells you to slow down, do so, it's smarter/more conservative than you are.

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
If you stay in Motels a lot you should carry an assortment of UMC adapters because they generally have the window A/C right by where you park. They typically run on 15, 20 or 30 amps and 240 volts so you can get a decent charge overnight if you unplug the A/C unit. Of course if you like to sleep with the rattle-trap A/C blaring away all night this won't work.