Lake Havasu Help!!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok. We are in lake Havasu and I thought there were super chargers. I was wrong! There is one at a hotel that’s for hotel guest and would take 6 hours to charge. What do I do? I currently have it plugged in at the hotel charging at 5 miles per hour. We have 75 miles until dead...I’m so confused on the types of charges and where I can go to charge that’s non Tesla that would charge like a super charger?! I tried the PlugShare app but I don’t know the charging speeds...I’m feeling really dumb right now and thinking I’ll probably be ubering. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Help!!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s 40 miles away. I don’t have time to go there and back...isn’t there places you can pay to charge?
Not as quickly as a supercharger.

Looking at Plugshare I see:
  • The Heat Hotel with two Tesla Destination chargers.
  • Parker City to the south has two locations with Tesla Destination chargers.
  • And the Supercharger in Needles. This is the only really fast one (charge in under an hour).

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s 40 miles away. I don’t have time to go there and back...isn’t there places you can pay to charge?
Not at anything approaching supercharging speeds. I think the best you can get is about 40 mph at a destination charger. In my experience, if you go to that one hotel, explain your problem, give the parking attendant(if there even is one) a $5-10 tip and a wink, You can probably charge there. Most destination chargers of which I'm familiar are generally unattended. Also most chevy dealerships have a charging station(usually outside near service) that they'll typically be happy to oblige if approached nicely. And, hey TOO members, who's close enough to Lake Havasu to help Stacy and her daughter out?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are also two campsites at Lake Havasu that have NEMA 14-50 RV plugs. You can use those with your Mobile Connector.

Lake Havasu State Park Campsite, no other info
Crazy Horse Campground & RV park, they charge $20 to plug in.

Last edited:

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not as quickly as a supercharger.

Looking at Plugshare I see:
  • The Heat Hotel with two Tesla Destination chargers.
  • Parker City to the south has two locations with Tesla Destination chargers.
  • And the Supercharger in Needles. This is the only really fast one (charge in under an hour).
Needles we can hit on the way out. We went to the Heat. Big sign for hotel guest only and would take 6 hours. 😭

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are also two campsites at Lake Havasu that have NEMA 14-50 RV plugs. You can use those with your Mobile Connector.

Lake Havasu State Park Campsite, no other info
Crazy Horse Campground & RV park, they charge $20 to plug in.
How long do those take?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I currently have it plugged in at the hotel charging at 5 miles per hour.
If you're staying overnight, 5mph will give you another 60+ miles by tomorrow morning. If you're not comfortable driving 40 miles to the nearest Supercharger with 75 miles showing, 60 more miles should be plenty to get you there.

I’m so confused on the types of charges and where I can go to charge that’s non Tesla that would charge like a super charger?! I tried the PlugShare app but I don’t know the charging speeds
In PlugShare, tap the "funnel" icon in the upper right corner, then scroll down the the bottom of the list that appears and tap "Connectors". Your charging options consist of stations that have one of the following connector types. (Include NEMA 14-50 as well if you have that adapter for your Mobile Connector too.)

screenshot_20190704-214710_plugshare-jpg.27358

For charging speeds:
  • Wall Outlet = 5 mph
  • J1772 = ~25 mph (it varies from place to place)
  • NEMA 14-50: ~30 mph
  • Tesla (destination charger): ~30-45mph (also varies)
  • Supercharger: FAST. :) Probably 300-400 mph if your battery is showing 75 miles.
There aren't any non-Supercharger charging options that are comparable to a Supercharger, so unless you're very short on time or need to drive around a lot locally before you leave, you should be fine charging overnight at the hotel at 5 mph. All you need to plan for is having enough range to comfortably reach a Supercharger by the time you're ready to leave.

Last edited:

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
RV park probably has 50amp service, so about 30MPH. I assume that you have no 30amp adapter, so you need a place with 50 amp service.
Just occurred to me that you may not have gotten a 50amp adapter with your purchase, so you may only have the 5mph one you're currently using. If so, campgrounds are a no go, and you're back to ChargePoint or destination chargers. I trust that you have used your phone app under charging, scroll down to see any nearby destination charging. Two lessons for all of us here. First, don't forget that not only do you have to charge enough to get to your destination, but you also need enough to leave your destination and get back to your next charging solution. Second, always have a plan B. Good luck @Life0fstacy , let us know how it works out.

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just occurred to me that you may not have gotten a 50amp adapter with your purchase, so you may only have the 5mph one you're currently using. If so, campgrounds are a no go, and you're back to ChargePoint or destination chargers. I trust that you have used your phone app under charging, scroll down to see any nearby destination charging. Two lessons for all of us here. First, don't forget that not only do you have to charge enough to get to your destination, but you also need enough to leave your destination and get back to your next charging solution. Second, always have a plan B. Good luck @Life0fstacy , let us know how it works out.
I got the adapter with the car. I have a house here but my sister and all her dogs are there so I’m at a hotel. Anyways after freaking out, we parked it in the garage and it’s charging at 5 miles per hour but I don’t have to worry about anyone unplugging it. My sister is now my chauffeur. Thanks for letting me freak out guys and being so helpful while I had a nervous breakdown. We are all good! 😬

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you do a lot of impromptu driving through low population areas, you should order a set of Mobile Connector adaptors for most situations:

14-30 (common dryer outlet)
6-50 (mechanics and welders often have these)
6-15 (also fits 6-20 outlet, for some campgrounds)
TT-30 (from 3rd parties only, for campgrounds)

Keep Plugshare and Chargepoint apps on your phone, those will help you find nearly every public charging station around you.

”Guests Only” is just there to prevent people from leaving their cars charging overnight without warning. There is a pretty good chance that if you ask the hotel management nicely, leave your contact info, and offer to move the car promptly when it’s charged (the app will tell you that if you have the notification turned on) they’ll let you. Because for all they know, maybe you’ll stay at their hotel next time because they were so nice.

Ultimately, remember that electricity is far more common than gasoline. If there is any kind of structure around even in the middle of a desert, odds are it will have a power outlet that, with enough time, will give you enough to get to a more powerful charger. And those apps will be able to tell you where that will be, and how much battery you need to get there!

EDIT: Funny story about that last paragraph: I remember walking my dog past a standard overhead power pole when I used to live in Ohio, and seeing a round object about 6 feet off the ground. I went back to look at it closer after I brought the dog home. It was a 110 volt outlet! Just sitting there, 6 feet up on a pole, for no reason at all. If that doesn’t prove how common electrical outlets are...

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you do a lot of impromptu driving through low population areas, you should order a set of Mobile Connector adaptors for most situations:

14-30 (common dryer outlet)
6-50 (mechanics and welders often have these)
6-15 (also fits 6-20 outlet, for some campgrounds)
TT-30 (from 3rd parties only, for campgrounds)

Keep Plugshare and Chargepoint apps on your phone, those will help you find nearly every public charging station around you.

”Guests Only” is just there to prevent people from leaving their cars charging overnight without warning. There is a pretty good chance that if you ask the hotel management nicely, leave your contact info, and offer to move the car promptly when it’s charged (the app will tell you that if you have the notification turned on) they’ll let you. Because for all they know, maybe you’ll stay at their hotel next time because they were so nice.

Ultimately, remember that electricity is far more common than gasoline. If there is any kind of structure around even in the middle of a desert, odds are it will have a power outlet that, with enough time, will give you enough to get to a more powerful charger. And those apps will be able to tell you where that will be, and how much battery you need to get there!

EDIT: Funny story about that last paragraph: I remember walking my dog past a standard overhead power pole when I used to live in Ohio, and seeing a round object about 6 feet off the ground. I went back to look at it closer after I brought the dog home. It was a 110 volt outlet! Just sitting there, 6 feet up on a pole, for no reason at all. If that doesn’t prove how common electrical outlets are...
He’s. After a little freakout, I realized I can find electricity and I can get to the supercharger. I doubt I’ll even drive much when I’m here. My sister uses the Tahoe to tow the boat. And she has to drive right by us to launch. We will be just fine. If I would have thought to just plug it in last night at the outlet at the hotel, I would have been perfectly fine! I guess this is a live and learn. LoL! And I’ll probably stay at that hotel next time!

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I would have thought to just plug it in last night at the outlet at the hotel, I would have been perfectly fine! I guess this is a live and learn. LoL! And I’ll probably stay at that hotel next time!
What's funny is, while the "guess-o-meter" is convenient for seeing how many miles you approximately have left, it actually might add to range anxiety. Gasoline vehicles don't display the amount of fuel you have left as estimated miles (some of them tell you that on a secondary display, but not as a main fuel gauge), they show it as a percentage or a fraction.

I mention that because in an average car, 75 miles is equivalent to just about 1/4 tank of gas. Not exactly a comfortable margin in a gas car either, but enough so most people are not afraid to drive around looking for fuel. In an EV, though, you have an option you don't have with a gas car - plug it into a common 110 volt outlet, and add a little bit more range while you think about where to charge it up.

And anyone who tells you that 1/4 tank in a gas car is never scary has never been to a small town. The gas stations there often close after a certain time, especially on a holiday. You can quite easily find yourself with a diminishing tank of gas driving around trying to find someplace to fuel up.