Lack of certified repair shop and parts

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Eugene

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Recently I was rear ended on my model 3.

In talking to a certified repair shop and shopping for repair, it became very obvious that Tesla is way behind on training and building a network of repair shop that are qualified to repair Tesla.

This is not new, last year my girlfriend has wait for 3 months for parts for her model X and now it been over 2 weeks and there is no news when when parts will arrive, according to this certified repair shop

The shop I took my model 3 to has around 15 Tesla waiting for repair. This is very concerning to me and should be to all Tesla owner.
The problem is going to get worse as Tesla scale up production of model 3, with no similar aggressive scale up plan for repair shop

We do not want to have our car in shop for 6 months once we get into an accident. This is not acceptable

I want to raise this after sale support problem as a big issue that Tesla need to address

Like to hear the experience of other Tesla owners ?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla has 4 authorized body shops all 10-13 miles from the address of your IP, and 1 Tesla owned body shop 30 miles.

So you have 5 options, 4 very near by. How many more would you think they need?

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Based on what @MelindaV said this might not be a legit issue? Also in general I'm looking forward to more M3's on the road so that this becomes less of an issue.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Based on what @MelindaV said this might not be a legit issue? Also in general I'm looking forward to more M3's on the road so that this becomes less of an issue.
I always take posts from posters with a 1 post history with a large grain of salt. Anyone can make a profile and make one post. When the thread title sounds like it's designed to create FUD, there's a good chance it was designed to create FUD.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

In talking to a certified repair shop and shopping for repair, it became very obvious that Tesla is way behind on training and building a network of repair shop that are qualified to repair Tesla.

This is not new, last year my girlfriend has wait for 3 months for parts for her model X and now it been over 2 weeks and there is no news when when parts will arrive, according to this certified repair shop

The shop I took my model 3 to has around 15 Tesla waiting for repair. This is very concerning to me and should be to all Tesla owner.
The problem is going to get worse as Tesla scale up production of model 3, with no similar aggressive scale up plan for repair shop

We do not want to have our car in shop for 6 months once we get into an accident. This is not acceptable

I want to raise this after sale support problem as a big issue that Tesla need to address

Elon has already addressed this, Tesla already plans to ramp up parts support and start to open up more in house Tesla repair facilities. It will happen, just be patient. Plus Melinda just pointed out 4 other body shops, I doubt they are all backed up with Tesla's

JCHU888

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My Model 3 was rear-ended on Aug 27 and it's still in the shop as of this date waiting for parts. I had my car towed to a Tesla certified repair shop, Serivce King, and they told me they could not work on my car since they had about 20 - 30 Teslas waiting to be worked on. When I called a bunch of shops around the So Ca area, many of them warned me about a 3-4 month wait. I called the Tesla body shop at the service center and they only address minor body work. So there is a real back log.....

atebit

Event Horizon II
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Checkmate...lol :tearsofjoy:
They could have 50 shops in a 10 mile radius but with no parts what difference does that make? Part of having a “network of shops” is the ability to keep them supplied.

The one constant about Tesla forums, apparently is that they can never be “car” forums in the traditional sense. They’re actually stockholder forums where the members are way more concerned about their investment than what constitutes a reasonable ownership experience. New people that come here with a gripe are automatically “shorts”. What a welcoming experience.

Last edited:

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My Model 3 was rear-ended on Aug 27 and it's still in the shop as of this date waiting for parts. I had my car towed to a Tesla certified repair shop, Serivce King, and they told me they could not work on my car since they had about 20 - 30 Teslas waiting to be worked on. When I called a bunch of shops around the So Ca area, many of them warned me about a 3-4 month wait. I called the Tesla body shop at the service center and they only address minor body work. So there is a real back log.....
Doesn't sound right to me. Service King has 10+ shops in the greater LA area.
Taking the car to a Tesla Service center might yield a different result.

Last edited:

atebit

Event Horizon II
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Model S had the same issue a few years ago. That’s not FUD, it’s FACT. Research teslamotorsclub. So if nothing else, there’s at least precedent.

JCHU888

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Doesn't sound right to me. Service King has 10+ shops in the greater LA area.
Taking the car to a Tesla Service center might yield a different result.

Again, another 1 poster... sounds FUDish.
They may have 10+ shops...but only a few are able to do "structural work".

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
My car was the victim of a hit and run in a parking lot at a restaurant and, at a minimum, the left rear quarter panel has to be replaced. I was told by the authorized body shop that they would have to have the car for 8 - 12 weeks (!). They have to open it up to see what hidden parts may need replacing and then wait for the parts. The car can't be driven with the quarter panel off. So, after waiting 2.5 years to get the car, and driving it for three months, I will be without it for three months. Tesla has to to better!

kort677

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

this is the dark secret of tesla ownership, qualified shops are few and far between, tesla replacement parts are difficult to obtain and insurance companies balk at the premiums charged by the authorized shops. there are many reasons for this, some of which are that there is no aftermarket maker of parts, tesla is the only source for replacement parts. the shops have to commit a lot of time for training and money for machinery that is unique to tesla.
one would think that since the 3 is not all aluminum that repairs would be easier than in the past but apparently this isn't the case