Krown dealer in Greater Toronto area - to rustproof

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

dberto

Country
Country
Who has Krowned their Model 3 (or S or X) in the Greater Toronto area? I'm looking for a Krown dealer with specific experience with Teslas.
Thanks
I have asked the sales reps about rustproofing and they have said it's "not necessary", whether true or not.
My concern is if covering the battery area with the rustproofing coating oil might cause it to overheat, or whether it affects the warranty in any way.

SB18

Maintenance Access Panels were used to complete the application
Hi Krown Waterloo,
Thanks for the pics. But I'm still wondering if Krown has provided a drill pattern for the model 3.
Did you drill anywhere on the car? Or did you, as your comment suggests, open up access covers etc. and spray without drilling?
And does the Krown backup this work with their new car warranty?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi Krown Waterloo,
Thanks for the pics. But I'm still wondering if Krown has provided a drill pattern for the model 3.
Did you drill anywhere on the car? Or did you, as your comment suggests, open up access covers etc. and spray without drilling?
I had my M3 krowned there a few weeks ago. Mostly via removal of access covers, but a few holes drilled in the normal places (rocker panel 'transition to vertical' points, inside/back of doors and trunk. They did a great job and I was pleased. I would recommend them.
As far as warranty, I didn't even ask. If it's applied well and you go back regularly, you should be able to extend the useful life of the body.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Hi Krown Waterloo,
Hello SB18,

We did drill on TeslaWheelsonaGravelRoad's Model 3. Chuck, one of our Spray Technicians, and our Shop Supervisor, went over the areas that he would be drilling with the customer beforehand, which we are happy to do! Krown has not supplied a drill pattern specific for Teslas but we have a standard drill pattern that outlines the areas that we need to access which may need to be tweaked for specific makes and models. The drill pattern we used gave us perfect access to the areas we needed to reach.

That Model 3 qualified for Krown's new vehicle warranty, which was provided and listed on the invoice.

Thank you for your interest!

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had my M3 krowned there a few weeks ago. Mostly via removal of access covers, but a few holes drilled in the normal places (rocker panel 'transition to vertical' points, inside/back of doors and trunk. They did a great job and I was pleased. I would recommend them.
As far as warranty, I didn't even ask. If it's applied well and you go back regularly, you should be able to extend the useful life of the body.
I have used Krown for years and swear by it. Great product. However I'm not going doing the 3 because I don't winter drive it. If I did I would have selective parts of it Krowned. I do have our all year around AWD Escape done. I personally have no warranty concerns however just as an FYI this is from the Feb 1, 2019 Tesla warranty guide:

Body Rust Limited Warranty This Body Rust Limited Warranty covers rust perforation (hole through the body panel from the inside outwards) resulting from a defect in material or workmanship for a period of 12 years and unlimited miles, excluding the following:

Vehicles treated against rust, i.e., procedures commonly referred to as rustproofing or undercoating;
• Corrosion from defects in non-Tesla manufactured or supplied materials or workmanship causing perforation in body panels or the chassis from the inside out;
• Surface or cosmetic corrosion causing perforation in body panels or the chassis from the outside in, such as stone chips or scratches;
• Corrosion caused by, due to, or resulting from accidents, abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or operation of the vehicle, installation of an accessory, exposure to chemical substances, or damages resulting from an act of God or nature, fire, or improper storage.

SB18

Thanks. I agree Krown is a great product, but the initial application of it factors in big on it's success.
So far Krown (HQ and dealers) has avoided answering the question of whether they have created a drill pattern for the model 3.
They simply point out that others have gotten their Teslas Krowned, and in other cases they allways follow the drill pattern prescribed by HQ - they are admitting they haven't figured out where to safely drill yet.
So I guess it comes down to "do I feel lucky" - as you were when you got yours drilled and they missed clipping a wire etc.,
OR do I skip it until they establish (a safe) drill pattern that all dealers will follow and avoid clipping something and causing issues.

I wish Krown was upfront and give a straight answer - admit they don't have it but are working on it.
Their communications guy never gives a straight answer on it - and in doing so says Krown's reputation is slippery too!
I've been a long time customer and fan of Krown but I needed a straight answer from them for me to trust them.

Bdehaan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I too am struggling with this very question. I am a religious Krown user on all my vehicles over the years. I am about to get delivery of my Model 3 soon, and this is by far the most I've ever spent on a car. Oddly Tesla seems to discourage or not support the use of any rust prevention techniques and I am assuming it may just simply be that it's somewhat uncharted territory or un-proven. I certainly do not want to affect my service/warranty in any way, so I am just not sure what to do just yet.