Known Issues: Investigating how common they are

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hi all! In order to be able to properly respond to some of the claims out there about Model 3 quality / issues, I thought it might be nice to conduct some polls here about how common the most commonly reported issues with Model 3s are. I was thinking about setting up ten or so polls about things that are "commonly cited" as issues that have come up with people's cars. Some examples might be, for example:

* Panel gaps
* Rattles
* Wind noise
* A-pillar bulge
* Paint issues

... etc. I'd work into the polls the ability to choose the severity, and how recent of a build the car is. I'd probably also do a general satisfaction poll.

Sound like a good idea? If so, throw out your list of "known issues" at me! Feel free to second other peoples' recommendations if you think they're important to know. Trivial software issues probably aren't worth polling, due to OTA updates and the frequency at which fixes come in, but major ones, go right ahead.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
some of the most common items I've seen posted here include:
  • chargeport door issues
  • trifecta of errors (EAP, traction control, steering assist not available)
  • glovebox door issues (haven't seen this recently, so maybe build has been changed from the earlier ones)
  • moisture / condensation in taillights/headlights

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
A lot of the issues seem common to the Model S complaints (more on earlier cars) but they also have the negative bias - people post when they're unhappy/have an issue versus when things are all good.

I'd recommend anyone with issues contact their service center first for a fix vs ranting etc online. Tesla service has been super good in taking care of things that arent 100%.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
A lot of the issues seem common to the Model S complaints (more on earlier cars) but they also have the negative bias - people post when they're unhappy/have an issue versus when things are all good.

I'd recommend anyone with issues contact their service center first for a fix vs ranting etc online. Tesla service has been super good in taking care of things that arent 100%.
Indeed, the posting bias makes it hard to tell how common it is. My thoughts are that general polls - while they're still biased by "the portion of Model 3 owners that read this forum and can be bothered to respond to a poll" - wouldn't be nearly so biased as a thread specifically about a particular issue, which by its nature will attract people with the problem and not those who don't.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There seem to be problems sometimes associated with the 12V battery, but sometimes not. Maybe a catchall: car failed to run and required service within x miles or y days of new.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Instead of creating several different polls, what about one survey through google forms, or something, that includes them all?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
... wouldn't be nearly so biased as a thread specifically about a particular issue, which by its nature will attract people with the problem and not those who don't.
Any poll will attract a large number of people who feel it's their mission in life to make Tesla (or any electric car for that matter) look bad.

sakaike

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only 2 issues I have which are very common are :

1. Low wiper fluid/break light for the first few minutes at initial drive.

2. Homelink doesn’t transmit a lot of the time.
I agree 110%. I actually have (so far) no mechanical or build issues that I have been able to detect in the 2 weeks since delivery. However, these 2 exact issues are the only ones I have personally encountered so far.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One way to maybe help break things down would be to separate the items into Software and Mechanical/Physical. We may not honestly know the difference or what is causing a problem that someone reports, but a big number of the reported issues seem to be software related or at least fixed with a software update. Your initial list in post 1 all seem physical build quality, but several reported by others are very likely software. Might be nice to see the different number of each type. Of course those software related items we'd hope are fixed for all within a few weeks/months of them becoming public knowledge and the chorus all joining in to sing loudly.

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would also be interested in seeing a poll of people who had NO ISSUES.

I luckily had no fit and finish issues or paint issues or any hardware issues in general

The minor glitches I initially had like backup camera not coming on all the time and the dreaded echo on Bluetooth calls have all eventually been fixed by OTA updates

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I would also be interested in seeing a poll of people who had NO ISSUES.

I luckily had no fit and finish issues or paint issues or any hardware issues in general

The minor glitches I initially had like backup camera not coming on all the time and the dreaded echo on Bluetooth calls have all eventually been fixed by OTA updates
People with no issues will show up on the poll. :) As will general satisfaction rates and so forth.

flyeaglesfly

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've not had many issues, and none of them have been consistent or pervasive, but here are those that I have run into:
  1. Audio sources don't initialize at "startup" (when I get in the car), requires the two button reboot to resolve
  2. Rear view camera delay
  3. Slow wakeup in app (30s+)
  4. Decal/suction cup "ghosts" on front windshield visible during that time of day when the sun is low and windows show every tiny spec of dust (they are otherwise not at all visible).
  5. Windshield optical issues. For me, it's super minor and in on area in the lower passenger side... didn't even notice it until I read about it in a thread here, and it's not bad enough that I've even contacted Tesla about it.

verygooddog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New Here's a list of all my issues:
Same here. The front camera didn't work initially, but the SC fixed it quickly and efficiently.

I was not expecting perfection and there are some issues so minor and inconsequential that I won't even bother to mention them. With about 3800 miles on her, Blanche has been extremely reliable and super fun. No regrets at all.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So, since I'm going with the idea of using Google Forms (thanks, iChris93), it's evolving into a bit more detailed of an owner survey :) For individual questions, I was thinking of, for example:

-----------------
When you picked up your Model 3, how would you describe panel fit?

1) No visible panel unevenness outside of expected margins
2) One panel oriented slightly (1-3 millimeters) off of what it should be
3) 2-4 panels with 1-3 millimeter gaps, or one panel with a gap 3-10mm in size.
4) Many panels with 1-3 millimeter gaps, or 2-4 panels with >10mm gaps
5) Utter disaster

If you had Tesla fix panel gaps, how long (in days) did you have to wait for an appointment? You may use fractions of a day if you wish (such as 0.5 for "half a day"). [[include option for "Requested but not yet fixed"]]

If you had Tesla fix panel gaps, how long did it take them (in days)? You may use fractions of a day if you wish (such as 0.5 for "half a day"). [[include option for "Requested but not yet fixed"]]
-----------------

(Users can skip any questions they think don't apply to them)

The survey would start off asking them for when they took delivery of their car, and the approximate range of their VIN (since I know some people don't like giving out exact VINs), so that we can pair the data up with when the car was made. I was also thinking about closing with a series of general questions:

-----------------
Did you reject your car due to issues at delivery?

If you rejected your car at delivery, how long did it take them to bring it to a satisfactory state to accept delivery [[include option for "Still not satisfactory"]]

Would you describe your current situation as "struggling to get something fixed by Tesla?" - aka, are you facing pushback from them over something you consider to be significant, or are they taking an inordinate amount of time?

How many appointments have you had with Tesla to fix issues with your car that were not your fault?

How much total time, in days, has your car spent with Tesla to fix issues that were not your fault?

If your car had to be left with Tesla for service to fix an issue/issues that was not your fault, what percent of the time (0-100)?

How much money has Tesla charged you for fixing issues that you believe were not your fault and should be covered?

How satisfied would you describe yourself with your Model 3's quality?

1) Over the moon!
2) Very satisfied.
3) Satisfied.
4) Somewhat satisfied
5) Somewhat unsatisfied.
6) Unsatisfied.
7) Very unsatisfied.
8) Furious!

How satisfied would you describe yourself with your Model 3's itself (as a vehicle)?

1) Over the moon!
2) Very satisfied.
3) Satisfied.
4) Somewhat satisfied
5) Somewhat unsatisfied.
6) Unsatisfied.
7) Very unsatisfied.
8) Furious!

How would you rank your Model 3 relative to any other car you've ever owned? (1 = Best, 2 = Second best, etc; enter 999 for "Worst")

How would you rank your Model 3 relative to any other car you've ever driven? (1 = Best, 2 = Second best, etc; enter 999 for "Worst")

Select all that apply: I have owned a car from the following brands built in the past ten years, and no more than 2 years old at the time that I acquired it:
* Acura
* Alfa Romeo
* Aston Martin
* Audi
* Bentley
* BMW
* Bugatti
* Buick
* Cadillac
* Ferrari
* Infiniti
* Jaguar
* Lambourgini
* Land Rover
* Lexus
* Lincoln
* Maserati
* McLaren
* Mercedes-Benz
* Porsche
* Rolls-Royce
* Other luxury or sports brand

The average purchase price of a car that I have purchased in the past ten years has been...

The amount I spent on my Model 3 was...

How satisfied would you describe yourself with your pickup / delivery experience?

1) Over the moon!
2) Very satisfied.
3) Satisfied.
4) Somewhat satisfied
5) Somewhat unsatisfied.
6) Unsatisfied.
7) Very unsatisfied.
8) Furious!

How satisfied would you describe yourself with Tesla's service for problems / repairs?

1) Over the moon!
2) Very satisfied.
3) Satisfied.
4) Somewhat satisfied
5) Somewhat unsatisfied.
6) Unsatisfied.
7) Very unsatisfied.
8) Furious!
9) No experience with that.

If you've had to request service that required leaving your vehicle at Tesla, what percentage of the time were you given a loaner vehicle?

If you've had to request service that required leaving your vehicle at Tesla, what percentage of the time were you given a loaner vehicle *that was also a Tesla*?

Any additional comments? (Write whatever you want!)
-----------------

I included some things about previous car ownership in there to get a sense of what peoples' standards are.

Does this all look good? I think we'd really end up with some great data to point to!