Question Keying Cars

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does it really happen THIS MUCH? We’ve probably all seen the most recent sentry mode video catching the woman in the act, she was caught and charged with a FELONY! (Wow, that surprised me...I don’t know why but I would have assumed misdemeanor).

Anyway, does it really happen all the time and it’s just because Tesla has cameras it’s catching the perpetrators??? Are Teslas targeted more?? Some sort of combination of these two things?

I am absolutely BAFFLED why someone, even if angry at another person, would even THINK of doing this!!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
she was caught and charged with a FELONY! (Wow, that surprised me...I don’t know why but I would have assumed misdemeanor).
the charge given could be based on the value of the damage, past history, intent, etc. on the value, what's it cost to have a panel (or multiple) sanded down and repainted? did the keying dent the panel(s)?

Mosess

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think it has as much to do with the value of the damage as with the intent.

The video clearly shows the schmuck doing this with full malicious intent and you can see how she pressed hard and put some body weight into it.
Also, charges and convictions are two different things. A zealous prosecutor will always pile on as many and as harsh a charge as he/she can legally justify in order to squeeze out a maximum penalty or get the best possible settlement from their perspective. And I have not yet met a prosecutor who isn't a zealous putz.

Mosess

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
By law it is simply the value of the damage. In most states anything over $500 is a felony.
Good point. Though in all states prosecutors have discretion to reduce a charge if the suspect does not have a prior record or intent wasn't fully there. In this case, and in my humble opinion, the intent was so clear that even if the damage was just at the threshold of $500 she should be charged as a felony.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does it really happen THIS MUCH? We’ve probably all seen the most recent sentry mode video catching the woman in the act, she was caught and charged with a FELONY! (Wow, that surprised me...I don’t know why but I would have assumed misdemeanor).

Anyway, does it really happen all the time and it’s just because Tesla has cameras it’s catching the perpetrators??? Are Teslas targeted more?? Some sort of combination of these two things?

I am absolutely BAFFLED why someone, even if angry at another person, would even THINK of doing this!!
Regrettably, I think the answer is

In California, yes
Remainder of the world, no

CA just seems to have a lot of bad people (at least against Tesla) in it.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As Model 3 owners, we're sort of in a rough space right now.

The general public equates our cars with the Model S price range - people assume that because it says Tesla, it most cost at least $100,000. So people who see a Model 3 assume that we have to all very rich to afford one, and it makes some of them very angry. Meanwhile, the stock price for Tesla keeps tanking because the Model 3 is "too cheap" and Elon Musk is selling out their precious high-margin luxury car company to the masses. So we really can't win there.

On top of that, Teslas are EV's. The majority of cars are fossil fuel powered, and in our society these days, conformity is in fashion (take a look at some of the political discussions on social media for an example). If you're not driving what everyone else is, you think you're better than everyone else, and should be punished for it.

Meanwhile, Model 3's are becoming more and more affordable. But since all of those angry people mentioned above don't know that, and still hate it for being non-conforming, we get double the abuse. And it becomes more difficult for those of us who aren't wealthy and have to deal with expensive repairs because of it.

It's really not going to be solved until more mainstream company made EV's are driving around - that conformity rule changes - and people start to figure out that Model 3's are not in the same price bracket as the Model S. Until then, we have to embrace that our cars are different. We can't park the same as other cars, we can't leave them just anywhere unattended. So park farther away, but make sure the car is visible so no one will want to tamper with it. Keep it at a distance where people can look, but they can't touch.

FogNoggin

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only problem I have is getting a lot of the anti-Tesla stink-eye. It's a very real thing. People hating on us just because it's trendy. It's often pickups, traveling alongside me, drifting way too close to my car, or swinging way wide into my lane as they turn off the road.

It's gonna be funny the day these yokels find themselves driving Tesla pickups and receiving the same kind of hate.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only problem I have is getting a lot of the anti-Tesla stink-eye. It's a very real thing. People hating on us just because it's trendy. It's often pickups, traveling alongside me, drifting way too close to my car, or swinging way wide into my lane as they turn off the road.
Sometimes accompanied by a middle finger or “rolling coal.” 🙄

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As Model 3 owners, we're sort of in a rough space right now.

The general public equates our cars with the Model S price range - people assume that because it says Tesla, it most cost at least $100,000. So people who see a Model 3 assume that we have to all very rich to afford one, and it makes some of them very angry. Meanwhile, the stock price for Tesla keeps tanking because the Model 3 is "too cheap" and Elon Musk is selling out their precious high-margin luxury car company to the masses. So we really can't win there.

On top of that, Teslas are EV's. The majority of cars are fossil fuel powered, and in our society these days, conformity is in fashion (take a look at some of the political discussions on social media for an example). If you're not driving what everyone else is, you think you're better than everyone else, and should be punished for it.

Meanwhile, Model 3's are becoming more and more affordable. But since all of those angry people mentioned above don't know that, and still hate it for being non-conforming, we get double the abuse. And it becomes more difficult for those of us who aren't wealthy and have to deal with expensive repairs because of it.

It's really not going to be solved until more mainstream company made EV's are driving around - that conformity rule changes - and people start to figure out that Model 3's are not in the same price bracket as the Model S. Until then, we have to embrace that our cars are different. We can't park the same as other cars, we can't leave them just anywhere unattended. So park farther away, but make sure the car is visible so no one will want to tamper with it. Keep it at a distance where people can look, but they can't touch.
Perception is reality unfortunately. Case in point, my son just started middle school this semester and one day two older boys came up to him out of the blue and said to him that if he came in a Tesla (I drop him off and pick him up from school daily) why is he wearing Sketchers for tennis shoes. The boys were expecting him to wear expensive sneakers. I mentioned to him on several prior occasions that in reality, it’s cheaper to own a Tesla than a Toyota Camry. He told these two boys it’s cheaper than a Camry and he said they looked confused. So, perception is definitely reality...and our family is just the average middle class family, no where near the rich level.

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

It's gonna be funny the day these yokels find themselves driving Tesla pickups and receiving the same kind of hate.
It's not trendy, it's just pure ignorance, which we have a ton of here. So many people suck up all the media reports without even thinking if they make sense. Lots of people these cars are only for rich people. I think most people don't even realize that these are the most American cars, and do not run on middle eastern fuel but pure American energy, American labor, and American ingenuity.
Ignorance or not though, I can't understand why someone would intentionally key a car, especially of someone they don't even know. People suck.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's not trendy, it's just pure ignorance, which we have a ton of here.
It's willful ignorance. I'm used to seeing willful ignorance in response to non-conforming choices.

I have an Apple laptop (mostly because my work involves iOS development). I constantly hear that I have to be insane to buy a $2500 laptop when you can get one on Amazon or eBay for $200-$300. That "fact" completely ignores that those laptops are garbage, and the Apple one compares better to a Microsoft Surface Pro - which is a really good Windows laptop...in the same price range as the Apple. Unfortunately those reasons fall on deaf ears when I meet someone with willful ignorance. The only thing that matters to them is I don't have a Windows laptop like everyone else, and it must be because I think I'm better than everyone else.

When I bought a Model 3, I experienced the same kind of willful ignorance, but I was used to it by then. I will talk to people who are genuinely curious about it, but if I hear one of those standard willful ignorance statements - "Wow, so nice for you that you can afford a Tesla", or "You know those are worse for the environment than gas cars" - I don't bother to explain, aside from making some quick response like "This is a cheaper model". You just can't change someone's mind if it's made up that you think you know better - because then you graduate from know-better to know-it-all.