Key Fob

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Good morning from Portland
Evidently the time has come for me to misplace my key fob. I am in day three now and have digressed to looking in the oven, refrigerator and garbage can. The quickest way for me to find it is to order a new one. Does anyone know if I need to take the car to the SC for this? Really don’t love the idea of going downtown as you may have read, the ‘friendly protests’ are still breaking glass and setting things on fire.

mrau

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You can use your key card to remove the lost fob. Order a new one from Tesla web site. When it arrives use your key card to add the new fob to your list of keys. No service center needed.

...wait 3 days and you original fob will magically appear. :)

JCE

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yea. You can take off the FOB and the add the new one with a key card.

Like it was mentioned before-I’d order now just so that old FOB will appear sooner rather than later 😉

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does the Model X even come with a keycard?

Either way, the more general advice is as long as you have something you can start and drive the car with and access the "Keys" UI, you don't need to go to the Service Center. If you're actually locked out of the car because it was your only means of entry, you'll have to call Mobile Service. If you can start and drive the car but not access the "Keys" UI, you might have to visit a Service Center, but maybe Mobile Service can handle it.

• Helpful
Reactions: mrau

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does the Model X even come with a keycard?

Either way, the more general advice is as long as you have something you can start and drive the car with and access the "Keys" UI, you don't need to go to the Service Center. If you're actually locked out of the car because it was your only means of entry, you'll have to call Mobile Service. If you can start and drive the car but not access the "Keys" UI, you might have to visit a Service Center, but maybe Mobile Service can handle it.

Model X does not have a keycard. Keyfobs can only be programmed by Tesla service so @Randyman will have to make an appointment

• Helpful
Reactions: mrau and iChris93

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
while mocked and derided at first, I think that the model 3 approach of phone app and cards/fobs that can all be associated with the car by the owner is a good direction for Tesla to have taken. I changed my phone and it was trivial for me to add that as a new key. I bought a fob and similarly easy to add.

Last edited:

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
while mocked and derided at first, I think that the model 3 approach of phone app and cards/fobs that can all be associated with the car by the owner is a good direction for Tesla to have taken. I changed my phone and it was trivial for me to add that as a new key. I bought a fob and similarly easy to add.

The new S and X have implemented keycards like the Model 3 and you can expect future cars to use the same if not an improved version as well

Reactions: lance.bailey

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.