Key card instead of key fob

orcinus

Country
Country
Let’s hope so.
Passive RFID card is a seriously dumb idea.

Imagine fumbling around unlocking your trunk by swiping a card by the reader while holding groceries or a suitcase.

It’s so unwieldy and amateurish i seriously doubt Tesla would do that as the primary access control method.

ModFather

old CARmudgeon
Country
Country
Let’s hope so.

Imagine fumbling around unlocking your trunk by swiping a card by the reader while holding groceries or a suitcase.

It’s so unwieldy and amateurish i seriously doubt Tesla would do that as the primary access control method.
Couldn't I just have the chip embedded under my skin? Seriously, I have other medical devices embedded subcutaneously. Or maybe a tattoo?

Iaeen

Country
Country
The only way for a keycard to make sense is for it to be passive RFID only. If you go through the trouble of putting active transmitters into it, you lose the cost savings and simplicity advantages of a keycard and just end up with a conventional fob in a worse form factor.

That’s why I believe the Tesla app is going to become the primary access control method for the car if these rumors are true. Tesla supplies an inexpensive RFID backup key, and we supply the hardware that we are already carrying around to act as the primary key. That saves Tesla money and saves all of us the effort of carrying another bulky item around in our pockets.

The only question in my mind about this is whether or not an iPhone/Android phone is going to allow a third party app in the background to consume enough resources to do all this effectively. Having to launch an app on your phone to establish a BLE (or whatever) connection every time you want to unlock the car would be just as terrible as an RFID only keycard as the primary access control.

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My honest belief is we will have the same functionality of the Model s and x key, but in a different form factor. A slightly thicker card shaped device, that will unlock the car when you approach it, can sit in your wallet or phone case all the time.... Simple really.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Please don't call people's ideas dumb.

Most people probably don't understand all of the limitations of passive RFID.
Instead, explain that it probably won't work to leave it in your pocket.
Explain that it needs to be close to the detector to become powered.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Even in that case, the car should still open without taking out key card because one of the multiple cards was a correct one.
Generally multiple passive RFID cards interfere with each other. With two on the same side of my wallet, I have a lot of trouble scanning it on the bus/subway vs one on each side. And if you have a RFID-blocking wallet (or a big steel card bottle opener like mine), then anything near it is blocked. Active is a different story.

The only way for a keycard to make sense is for it to be passive RFID only. If you go through the trouble of putting active transmitters into it, you lose the cost savings and simplicity advantages of a keycard and just end up with a conventional fob in a worse form factor.
I disagree. While a passive RFID card is certainly very cheap and the same size as a credit card, an active RFID card with a thin button battery only has to be the thickness of two credit cards, and can even have a few buttons. Still fits in your wallet. I would *MUCH* rather have this than any key or giant fob bouncing around in my pocket.

ModFather

old CARmudgeon
Country
Country
I disagree. While a passive RFID card is certainly very cheap and the same size as a credit card, an active RFID card with a thin button battery only has to be the thickness of two credit cards, and can even have a few buttons. Still fits in your wallet. I would *MUCH* rather have this than any key or giant fob bouncing around in my pocket.
Thanks @TrevP for eliminating the "disagree" button. We now encourage people to have a civil discussion about why they disagree and we can all learn something.

Perhaps Doug took the key card out of his pocket in the video because it is one of the thick active RFID cards and would be "uncomfortable" ;) if he left it in his front pocket when he sat down! :p This would be great for me since I use a "wallet style" smart phone cover that has a slot where I can keep a couple of credit cards if I wish, perfect for the RFID card. I have press button entry on all my casa doors with the goal that I want to eliminate all keys in my life. Yep, no more car keys for me!

dudeman

Country
Country
Let’s hope so.

Agree. Its most likely going to be an active one. We will know in less than 6 hours. :D

orcinus

Country
Country
Please don't call people's ideas dumb.

Most people probably don't understand all of the limitations of passive RFID.
Instead, explain that it probably won't work to leave it in your pocket.
Explain that it needs to be close to the detector to become powered.
Chill. I wasn’t calling out anyone specific out.
I was calling passive RFID cards as primary means of access to a car a dumb approach, and elaborated why.

And i’ve explained the range issue before in this thread, as have others.

If you recall, someone even joked about butting against the trunk with the card in the pocket.
Sheesh, the closer the reveal, the more wound up everyone gets.

orcinus

Country
Country
Perhaps Doug took the key card out of his pocket in the video because it is one of the thick active RFID cards and would be "uncomfortable" ;) if he left it in his front pocket when he sat down! :p
It looked like it was still inside a thicker cardboard sleeve or something similar (like in other shots of it in the cup holder).
Sitting with it like that would’ve squashed it.

(Unless the ”thick thing” we’ve been seeing is actually the card itself.)