JuiceBox 40 only charging at 12amps :-(

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any one else with a JuiceBox or any other Level 2 EVSE having problems with the Model 3 not charging over 12amps? I have JuiceNet with my box so if it’s waiting for cleaner power it’ll drop the charge to 9amps so the car won’t fall asleep and fail to wake up when the box is ready to charge but when it’s in “charge now” it won’t go over 12amps. I’ve called eMotorWerks and they have a support ticket in but couldn’t offer a solution yet.

I’m curious if someone has been able to solve this problem?

I have 50amps dedicated to the box and didn’t have problems charging my last EV.

Thanks!

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got the Juicebox40 and use it for both my Leaf and 3 without issue. I suspect you've checked but is the car set to 40 amps? I'd also suggest rebooting the unit if you've not tried. Mine will only charge at 2KW the odd time if the power has recently tripped.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I might have to give that a try. On the car the plus sign won’t go past 12 amps. Tech support said the box is offering the car 40 but for some reason the car isn’t going over 12. It’s the performance M3 so I shouldn’t be having problems. I used a Level 2 sema connect at the office and it didn’t have any problems getting up to 30 amps which is what they cap out at. Thanks.

Nautilus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a JuiceBox 40 as well and concur with the advice given above. My JuiceBox puts out 40A for the M3 and the max 15A that our 2014 Volt can accept. I can also charge at work where the M3 accepts the max 30A that the ChargePoint EVSE can provide.

One last suggestion. Before you plug into the Juicebox, set the max current on the car's screen to 48A. It should then scale back to 40A once the JuiceBox is plugged in.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I might have to give that a try. On the car the plus sign won’t go past 12 amps. Tech support said the box is offering the car 40 but for some reason the car isn’t going over 12. It’s the performance M3 so I shouldn’t be having problems. I used a Level 2 sema connect at the office and it didn’t have any problems getting up to 30 amps which is what they cap out at. Thanks.
which other EV have you used with this up to 40A?

Nautilus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, I had the same problem this morning. I was only able to charge at 16A vs. the usual 40A. Not sure what was going on or whether it was attributable to the cold (16F, although that had never been a factor before). I had a warning message on both the car screen and mobile app, something to the effect: "Charging limited, charger may not be connected properly." The "T" light next to the charge port was also flashing yellow. I unplugged and replugged a couple times to no avail. It sounded like the little locking tab was functioning properly since I could hear it going up and down (I'm on 46.2). Also checked that I hadn't inadvertently limited charge current on either the car or the Juicebox. Nope.

So, I shut off power to the Juicebox (opened the circuit breaker) for about 10 minutes. Turned it back on, waited another minute or two for it to wake up to the point that its Wi-Fi was reconnected, then plugged the car back in. Voila, problem solved.

Moral of the story (just like misbehaving computers and cell phones): Press the Oh Enn, Oh Eff Eff switch. that frequently seems to fix things! :)

Dark-Tide

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I have the same problem with my ionic and my juice box. Every month or so it charges at 3mw instead of 7mw (max my car will charge) when I emailed them over a year ago, the response was if your power surges or drops, the logic recognises less than 240v and automatically limits to 13amps because it thinks it's on 120v. Even though it's possible to have 120v breakers over 15amps it limits power incase your using it on a standard outlet for an emergency I guess. Personally it annoys the crap out of me when the voltage goes back to normal aka immediately after the surge it doesn't go back to full speed and it needs to be reset. They should in my opinion update firmware but according to my response it cannot be fixed. If anyone else has any other options I'm all ears.