Johnny 5.3 vs Deer - The post I hoped to NEVER make..... :(

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

So let play a game.... "guess my repair estimate range". :/

• < $2500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2500 - $4000

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • $4001 - $5500

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • $5501 - $7000

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • $7001 - $8500

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • $8501 - $10000

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • > $10000

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So yeah...title says it all. :(:mad::eek:

Tuesday morning, 10/16 I was on my way early (6am) for a work related training up in North Jersey doing about 55-60mph on RT202 North in Branchburg when a buck charged into the roadway.

Being that I was in the right lane and he was coming from the right side in the dark, running down hill, I had little to no chance for anything besides slamming on the brakes. Unfortunately, there was just not enough space between us....

<----- My actual in cabin response post impact.

The hood took the brunt of the impact after the bumper took his legs out. Ended up cracking some antlers off on the windshield as he tumbled over the drivers side...and the rest is history. And no, unfortunately no dash cam footage as I had just got my USB stick set up the night before and apparently it was not right....re-plugged it AFTER the accident and started recording as designed. F**K me!!!

The end result as shown is a crushed hood, cracked windshield (from the hood hinges pushing back), mildly damaged front bumper, passenger side fender and drivers side A-pillar which took an antler drag/dent.....oh and some sweet deer snot on the sunroof.

Pissed...depressed....disbelief are the majority of the thoughts in my head for the past two days. 2+ year wait, and ONLY 2,700-ish miles and 3-month of driving bliss.

On the bright side, if there has to be one, is that I was not injured and the car is still in 100% driveable condition besides the front parking sensors being a bit out of whack.

Had it in for an estimate already yesterday (feel free to join in the guessing game/poll above) and similar to most other repair experiences posted on the forum suggest, the Tesla certified repair shop (Ultimate Collision - Edison, NJ) said the biggest issue will be the waiting game for parts. The glass and the front bumper cover being the biggest puzzle pieces often back-ordered. After all the parts do come in (which he said could be as long as 1-month) they'll need it in the shop for about 2-weeks to replace, repair and re-paint as needed. After that it'll go back to my trusted detailing guy Greg @ Signature Detailing - Hillsborough to work his magic once more. FYI the PPF wrap will be an is covered under most comprehensive policies. ;)

So if you're local and see a beat up Silver Metallic 3 driving around on the roads for the next few weeks.... YUP that's me! :rolleyes:

img_0476-jpeg.16279

Attachments

Last edited:

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh man!!!! :( So sorry to read this... sorry for your misfortune. But very glad that nobody was hurt... especially being a buck (antlers, windshields, etc.). I'm guessing high because I have no idea, lol. But I do think that the repair cost of vehicle damage gets up there pretty quickly.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to see this and glad it wasn't worse and no one was hurt. I think the good news is from most reports I've seen, the parts for the 3 seem to be pretty easy to get. Not the reported waiting games we've heard over the years for the S. I believe Elon has pledged to make parts available. Hope they can make it happen pretty quick.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
YIKES. So sorry that this happened. :( Glad to hear you're unhurt and that the car is driveable at least... Hope those parts arrive as quickly as possible.

Grashelm

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

Tuesday morning, 10/16 I was on my way early (6am) for a work related training up in North Jersey doing about 55-60mph on RT202 North in Branchburg when a buck charged into the roadway.

Being that I was in the right lane and he was coming from the right side in the dark, running down hill, I had little to no chance for anything besides slamming on the brakes. Unfortunately, there was just not enough space between us....

The hood took the brunt of the impact after the bumper took his legs out. Ended up cracking some antlers off on the windshield as he tumbled over the drivers side...and the rest is history. And no, unfortunately no dash cam footage as I had just got my USB stick set up the night before and apparently it was not right....re-plugged it AFTER the accident and started recording as designed. F**K me!!!

The end result as shown is a crushed hood, cracked windshield (from the hood hinges pushing back), mildly damaged front bumper, passenger side fender and drivers side A-pillar which took an antler drag/dent.....oh and some sweet deer snot on the sunroof.

Pissed...depressed....disbelief are the majority of the thoughts in my head for the past two days. 2+ year wait, and ONLY 2,700-ish miles and 3-month of driving bliss.

On the bright side, if there has to be one, is that I was not injured and the car is still in 100% driveable condition besides the front parking sensors being a bit out of whack.

Had it in for an estimate already yesterday (feel free to join in the guessing game/poll above) and similar to most other repair experiences posted on the forum suggest, the Tesla certified repair shop (Ultimate Collision - Edison, NJ) said the biggest issue will be the waiting game for parts. The glass and the front bumper cover being the biggest puzzle pieces often back-ordered. After all the parts do come in (which he said could be as long as 1-month) they'll need it in the shop for about 2-weeks to replace, repair and re-paint as needed. After that it'll go back to my trusted detailing guy Greg @ Signature Detailing - Hillsborough to work his magic once more. FYI the PPF wrap will be an is covered under most comprehensive policies. ;)

So if you're local and see a beat up Silver Metallic 3 driving around on the roads for the next few weeks.... YUP that's me! :rolleyes:

View attachment 16279
How did the buck fare aside from broken antlers?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
very lucky he hit the hood instead of the windshield directly!

(not as lucky as missing him all together, but this is WAY better than him coming thru the windshield)

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to see this and glad it wasn't worse and no one was hurt. I think the good news is from most reports I've seen, the parts for the 3 seem to be pretty easy to get. Not the reported waiting games we've heard over the years for the S. I believe Elon has pledged to make parts available. Hope they can make it happen pretty quick.
Thanks, and I'm hopeful for a quick turn around, but the shop currently has another 3 in waiting for 2-weeks already waiting on the back-ordered bumper cover. Definitely not the kind of waits for the S & X parts, which he tells me can be even worse now that the main focus is on the Model 3 production.

Time will tell...I'll keep this thread going with updates along the way.

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How did the buck fare aside from broken antlers?
Not sure... I couldn't really stop at the site of impact, so I continued on for about a half mile, plus it was still dark out. Came back past the site the next morning and did not see any evidence either way...

The frunk seems to act as a decent cushion I would imagine compared to an ICE since there is nothing but open space to absorb and crumple. Guess if he didn't break a leg he MIGHT have walked it off. ;)

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure... I couldn't really stop at the site of impact, so I continued on for about a half mile, plus it was still dark out. Came back past the site the next morning and did not see any evidence either way...

The frunk seems to act as a decent cushion I would imagine compared to an ICE since there is nothing but open space to absorb and crumple. Guess if he didn't break a leg he MIGHT have walked it off. ;)
Seen over on the New Jersey Buck's Club Forum:

"Any of you see these new metal beasts with a T shape logo that don't even make a sound!? I'm walking along, minding my own business and next thing I know I'm on top of this silver beasts head! Then I was twisting in the air like the sky when it's angry because the cold and hot are fighting for territory! When I landed, I didn't even know which side of the hard black grass I was on before... or headed to next! And worse, the antlers I've been growing for months to impress the ladies were BROKEN! So much for passing along my seed this year! :(
Damn my legs hurt. At least the beast didn't stop and have his offspring get out and load me into the beast pouch and take me away like what happened with Larry. Man I miss Larry."

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Noooo! That sucks!
Definitely a risk for us in Hunterdon County. At least, no air bags deployed and the car is still driveable. I'm cringing looking at these photos. Painful!

So, is the hood still latched? Looks like quite a gap there. I would be nervous about it flying open while driving.

Hoping Johnny gets well soon!

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Noooo! That sucks!
Definitely a risk for us in Hunterdon County. At least, no air bags deployed and the car is still driveable. I'm cringing looking at these photos. Painful!

So, is the hood still latched? Looks like quite a gap there. I would be nervous about it flying open while driving.

Hoping Johnny gets well soon!
Thanks man! Yeah no joke, there deer are out of control. Literally every road you drive around here for a few miles has 5-10 dead.

Hood is latched well, never attempted to open it since accident and driven at highway speeds with no issue, not really even additional wind noise. I tried today to push the higher gaps down a bit, might have helped. :(

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh man, sorry to hear that and hate to see such a beautiful new car damaged. I know it's not much of a consolation but in the end it's only a car and it can be fixed or replaced, glad you didn't get hurt!

So, are you going to change your screen name and avatar to "Deer Hunter"??

Oh, I'm sorry, was that too soon?

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh no - I'm sorry to hear this but glad you're OK. As a fellow New Jerseyian, I've had a number of deer on road sightings and some close calls, including dodging one darting out onto 280 at 6am during a pre-sunrise morning commute. Glad to see the car holds up fairly well in these scenarios.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

View attachment 16279
Man oh man! That really sucks! I am sorry this happened to you! I hope everything will work out quickly for you. Glad to hear you’re not injured!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
HOLY MOLY! I am late seeing this. Glad you are OK.
Are you gonna keep driving him? I assume only if good weather as that Frunk is not gonna seal!

You may be in for a long wait on those parts. I ordered the plastic rocker covers after mine were gouged by the tire rotate lifts at Discount Tire on 8/31 and they just got one of two into the Service Center. No idea when the next will come. Now mine are not in any way critical but really???

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just remember the forum post with the dinged quarter panel being 12k to fix...because it involves disassembling most of the car. I have a very bad feeling that you're surely over 10k there.

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ouch! Glad you’re OK and amazed to see the pix — frankly, I expected more damage based on the title! Glad to see you were unhurt (well, physically) and hoping for a swift recovery for Johnny 5.3!

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
HOLY MOLY! I am late seeing this. Glad you are OK.
Are you gonna keep driving him? I assume only if good weather as that Frunk is not gonna seal!

You may be in for a long wait on those parts. I ordered the plastic rocker covers after mine were gouged by the tire rotate lifts at Discount Tire on 8/31 and they just got one of two into the Service Center. No idea when the next will come. Now mine are not in any way critical but really???
Thanks! Yeah been driving ever since... frunk should be fine for light rain as the edges overlap enough and its still centered, but don't plan to take it out in driving/heavy rain.