Product Review Jaguar I-Pace vs. Tesla Model X Long Range Plus - An owner's perspective.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
First some disclaimers up front. My Jaguar I-Pace is being bought back at 16,400 miles and 15 months of use. It has a powertrain fault they can't seem to repair correctly. This was one of the first retail I-Paces in North America. The buyback was halted by Covid-19. I am not affiliated with either Jaguar or Tesla directly. I'm an intermediate level driver. I did not get a lot of time testing the Jaguar with the new 258 mile range OTA reflash. My major testing was done with the 234 EPA mile flash. (Jaguar has a 'learning' range estimator, not a Tesla style).
ipacetbf16404parked-jpg.33584

Before anyone asks, this artwork is not factory. The car is a First Edition trim level with the Windsor seats and 20" all-season tires.

I ran the car at the dragstrip, at autocross events, and drove it on a 1600+ mile trip in the western US with temps from 115°F to 10°F. It's actual top speed limiter is 128 mph. It's drag ET is roughly 12.9@107 IIRC at 80% charge into a headwind. I've driven it down mild dirt roads and through over 12" of water.

What is there I like about the Jaguar I-Pace?

It fits me like a glove. It has a great seat which is good for longer than the battery is. One segment was 6 hrs between stops and I felt great. Note I have metal body parts and a lot of trauma, so this is amazing.

It handles very good for a Fat Girl. It's a portly 4800lbs, but remains somewhat 'tossable' and feels much lighter than it is. With the SC and TC off, the car wants to understeer but you can easily make it oversteer as well. It is well behaved, no surprises. It loves fast bumpy corners that upset many cars.

The stability control and traction control are not as intrusive as the MX, but if you push the car hard they will stop you from spinning out. It has solid punch at all speeds, it absolutely leaps in traffic.

It has very good manners when pushed hard in the rain. I tested this at an autocross event when it was raining. I was cutting better lap times than many sports coupes there when the course was wet.

The brakes are powerful, and the regen is intense. Perhaps 200kW of regen I figured.

The driver's aids are modern. It has 360° view, blindspot side mirror LED's, cross-traffic alert front and rear, ultrasonic sensors, and more. It's adaptive cruise control is good, it has a long range and is not spastic like some. It operates at over 100 mph. The autosteer function is good on the freeway, but not so good on surface streets. You can shift the car's position in the lane without it shutting off, and when you turn on the turn signal, it pauses the autosteer until the lane change is complete. The controls are thumb controls on the wheel. The ACC/AS status is on the HUD and dashboard if you desire.

The infotainment system is modern. The cell integration does messaging, phone, and NAV using CarPlay, AndroidAuto, and the Jaguar InControl system. The voice commands can be spotty, but they have more coverage of functions and includes Siri commands. You can track every trip you ever took in an online database. The car has 4 front USB's include SS USB fast charging ports. There are lots of areas for interior storage. The ingress and egress is excellent. The rear hatch accepts foot motion to open it. There is a waterproof access wrist band so you can lock everything in the car and go play. And it has excellent fit, finish, and materials. Oh... The car was parked for 40 days. How much vampire loss? 1 mile. Seriously. It has no vampire drain.

What I don't like?

Well first off, my car broke and they couldn't figure out how to fix it. Servicing it is problematic. It takes a while to boot it up when you start. Rear visibility is a weakness. It has a great rear camera, but you can't run it while driving. CCS charging is not fast enough. While it will peak at about 111 kW, the average speed from 20-80% is about 77kW. “driven like a Jaguar” gives you 384 wh/mi, which is not stellar, it's about 220 miles from 0%-100%. The steering column adjustment is manual not power. The front trunk is only big enough for your EVSE and a few tools. The tow receiver is only available for overseas VIN numbers. WTF?

As for the Tesla Model X, I've had it less than 1500 miles, and have not track tested it. Keep that in mind. What I like:

The panoramic windshield blows your mind. The Falcon Wing doors impress people. The acceleration is very good, and the handling is competent. There is tremendous storage area for cargo. The ingress and egress is good. It has a tow hitch with the highest rating for an EV. It has best range in class. The infotainment screen is massive, the sound system is good. The map updates are OTA, not just the OS. The geolocation Homelink is nice. The car is very roomy in all seating positions (I have the 5 seater). The wife and kids love the Tesla. The Jaguar not so much. Service centers are everywhere in California, and you can schedule service from the cell app.

What I don't like about the Model X?

The initial quality, fit and finish are not up to average for 2020. I need to leave it at a SC when Covid-19 is over so they can fix some of the problems with assembly and finish. The software is buggy even by Jaguar standards. I had to reboot it while reading the Operator's Manual, and it crashed while my wife was driving it too. The infotainment is not up to 2020 standards. Poor cell integration, poor voice command range and decoding. No AM radio? Really? Only two USB 2.0 ports up front? One is now taken by the induction charger so it actually has only one. Not a lot of easy interior storage. No sunglass holder. What storage there is up front is hard to access and has traps to lose objects in. The rear seats have less storage. Parking it is hard by 2020 standards. It really needs a 360° view. The materials and little things about the car are cheap. The wood isn't like wood you find in its price range. Jaguar excels at this stuff, but I'm not comparing it to Jaguar. The sound level inside the Model X on the freeway is louder than any car I've driven in the $80k+ price range. It's not terrible, it just that the other cars are excellent in this area. And why did they drop the air-conditioned seating? That is pretty standard now in this market, the Jaguar has great ones.

These are two very different cars that only appear similar. Here's how I see them.

If you love driving you want the Jaguar. But you must consider it as a sedan not a real SUV. As a sedan it's excellent. It really competes with the Model S and eTron. AND every other executive sedan.

If you are looking for practicality, you want the Model X. It can be ordered with 7 seats if you want, and it holds a tremendous amount of cargo plus 5000lb towing. No other EV comes close. Add that to a longer range, a better service network, and it's an easy winner.

My purchase decision boiled down to the Audi eTron and the Model X. The Audi wins the Luxury EV experience today. It's really quiet. It has the best infotainment. It can have night vision and massage seats. But the eTron is not as capable as the Model X, and isn't fun like the Jaguar. And my wife and kids loved the Model X.

I will be sad to see the Jaguar go. I hope they continue to work on it and fix the minor things it needs. It remains one of my favorite cars of all time, but what I needed was practical, and for the that, the Model X slaughtered it.

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Love the Jag graphics! Look forward to hearing your experiences and impressions. Welcome to the forum!

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for this write up. I don’t have your degree of perception on these things but I do have the sense that Tesla has a ways to go to improve the interior of its cars. Does not have the level of learnings and experience of other brands. Focus has been on other aspects of the car.

Surprised to hear about the differences in sportiness and driving with the car. I figured the model X would accelerate much quicker but the note above implies otherwise, fair?

I’d like to check out the ipace once the EV aspects are improved.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Thanks for this write up. I don’t have your degree of perception on these things but I do have the sense that Tesla has a ways to go to improve the interior of its cars. Does not have the level of learnings and experience of other brands. Focus has been on other aspects of the car.

Surprised to hear about the differences in sportiness and driving with the car. I figured the model X would accelerate much quicker but the note above implies otherwise, fair?

I’d like to check out the ipace once the EV aspects are improved.
Here's the kicker. The Tesla Model X still outsells the Jaguar, Audi, and Mercedes EV SUVs combined last I checked. There is no real incentive to spend their money improving this product yet.

I have not actually done a track test of Model X yet due to many reasons, but I will. But my road experience is telling me the I-Pace is quicker at all speeds (especially higher speeds) than the MX, this is based on my experience passing cars, and particularly applies at 70% SOC and under. That's not to say the MX is slow or even average. The Model X LR+ is one of the quicker SUV's in real world situations. Like all EV's the instant punch is worth more than 0-60 times. The MX LR+ acceleration is adequate for all traffic situations including mountain road passing performance as tested on Ortega Highway yesterday afternoon with 3 adults in the car. Passing is effortless.

The handling in the Model X is not bad, but it doesn't make you want to push your luck. The Jaguar tries to tempt you into getting crazy with it. The eTron doesn't tempt you either, nor have the punch of these two either.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
...my road experience is telling me the I-Pace is quicker at all speeds (especially higher speeds) than the MX, this is based on my experience passing cars, and particularly applies at 70% SOC and under.
I can't find any actual test data for the Model X long range. C/D provided "estimates" for the 100D, and it appears to be almost identical to the I-Pace for acceleration.

Jaguar I-Pace performance results.
Zero to 60 mph: 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.8 sec @ 109 mph
Top speed (governor limited, mfr's claim): 128 mph

Tesla Model X 100D performance results.
PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.8 sec
Top speed: 155 mph

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Great review! Only thing I would disagree with is the infotainment of the Jag. The best thing that can be said about it is that it has CarPlay. Otherwise it’s laggy and dated, IMO.

I agree with what you said about the Tesla one though. . It definitely leaves a lot to be desired

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I can't find any actual test data for the Model X long range. C/D provided "estimates" for the 100D, and it appears to be almost identical to the I-Pace for acceleration.

Jaguar I-Pace performance results.
Zero to 60 mph: 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.8 sec @ 109 mph
Top speed (governor limited, mfr's claim): 128 mph

Tesla Model X 100D performance results.
PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.8 sec
Top speed: 155 mph
When my local track goes back into operation, I will do actual testing of the Model X, both at the limits of it's handling, and 1/4 mile acceleration tests. At this point, I'm going by seat-of-the-pants.

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The biggest problem with the I-Pace is the same as with most Jags: terrible reliability.

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I was blown away by the ipace acceleration at 30, 40, 50 mph while rolling. Butt dyno said it was a lot more punchy than my AWD 3 which surprised me. However cross shopping the Velar, the infotainment was a big step down, my tester at 77k USD didn't have power seats or steering wheel. Ultimately I didn't like the interior or exterior styling. I was at the dealer to drive the Range Rover but they had an ipace in stock so I took it did a ride. I'm trying to find a better option for my dog and the ipace roofline just doesn't do it but I do like to see the other EV options out there, and continue to see how much better Tesla does the tech, unfortunately that's about it

Thanks for a detailed write-up!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I was blown away by the ipace acceleration at 30, 40, 50 mph while rolling. Butt dyno said it was a lot more punchy than my AWD 3 which surprised me. However cross shopping the Velar, the infotainment was a big step down, my tester at 77k USD didn't have power seats or steering wheel. Ultimately I didn't like the interior or exterior styling. I was at the dealer to drive the Range Rover but they had an ipace in stock so I took it did a ride. I'm trying to find a better option for my dog and the ipace roofline just doesn't do it but I do like to see the other EV options out there, and continue to see how much better Tesla does the tech, unfortunately that's about it

Thanks for a detailed write-up!
The I-Pace First Edition trim level is like the old Tesla Signature trim so it was nearly loaded.

Trivia:

Jaguar Land Rover is one of the more pet friendly automakers. My dealer has a dog waiting room and you can take your dog into sales floor as well. While I don't take my dogs with me, JLR has an assortment of dog accessories for the I-Pace and other models. There is a ramp, interior protection, and a partition:

'

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
JLR has an assortment of dog accessories for the I-Pace and other models. There is a ramp, interior protection, and a partition:
I really like that they think of those features. However my dog is about 3x the size of that pictured and she can't comfortably stand up in the rear. The Etron seems to be the best option I can find so far. I'm trying to hold out to see a Y in person, but I'm leaning towards Audi because its actually a luxury vehicle

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I really like that they think of those features. However my dog is about 3x the size of that pictured and she can't comfortably stand up in the rear. The Etron seems to be the best option I can find so far. I'm trying to hold out to see a Y in person, but I'm leaning towards Audi because its actually a luxury vehicle
Unfortunately my vehicles need to serve as trip vehicles. That means that, in the US, Tesla is the only good choice. The situation is changing but infrastructure for CCS still isn’t there yet.

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
That means that, in the US, Tesla is the only good choice
Absolutely agree. I don't travel much and have access to other vehicles IF I decided to do that. Tesla is by far superior in the on the road charging game.

Unfortunately I absolutely hate the Model X, I think it's hideous and where I live there is snow 5 months a year. I cannot see the rear doors being great for that scenario without somehow figuring out how to get all the snow off the top of the vehicle but I'm not willing to even go that route.