Jacking up at a non-Tesla service center

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I was at a discount tire store today to have my Tesla Model 3 tires rotated. I told them that I had the special jack pads to use on the jack points. The guys said don't worry about it because they service lots of Teslas. I then said, are you sure you don't want to risk damaging my battery and just use my jack pads? The guys said, nah, we know what we're doing. When they got to my car, I decided to take a picture. This is what I found.
jack_placement-jpg.28719

Sorry about the bad exposure, but do you see what they did? They just placed some rubber mats on their jack. I don't think it's even on the jack points. Is this right?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They didn't lift where the jack pads would be, hard to say whether they might have damaged anything. You might have to get down and see if anything is bent or indented at those spots.

Things like this is why I do my own maintenance.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I givr DT my jack pads to use and they use them. That being said, I did have them replace a TPMS sensor with one I brought and they put in the valve stem and lost the sensor....

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just dropped my car off for some PPF, Ceramic, and glass treatments monday. They jack the car up to get the wheels off for cermaic treatment. I gave them the jack pads (hockey pucks basically) and told them they have to use them. The shop asked where I got them because they want to buy a set. Not sure if that's good or not....they told me they've done a lot of Tesla's.

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe they do know what they are doing and your car is fine? Have we actually seen any Model 3s "injured" by improper jacking? Or is this another thing Tesla owners obsess about?

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The jack pads fancy is pure obsession.

Proper lifting procedure is important and so directed as in the owner's manual. The lift points are shaped as they are (at least) on the Model 3 because it is a stronger structural arrangement *not* because you're supposed to put some magical shape in those holes nor underneath.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The jack pads fancy is pure obsession.

Proper lifting procedure is important and so directed as in the owner's manual. The lift points are shaped as they are (at least) on the Model 3 because it is a stronger structural arrangement *not* because you're supposed to put some magical shape in those holes nor underneath.
Here is a post where there @LUXMAN saw some damage when jack pads were not used.

My mobile service technician also said I needed them when I told him I was rotating my tires myself.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the jack pads add height - so more important when the car is on a flat lift than using a single point jack. but for either, having the nubby in the hole keeps it from moving.

(coming from someone who's one previous car with recessed jack points ½" above the rocker panels, was flat lifted by a dealership service guy and added 4 dents to the rocker panels and messed up the panel alignment all around, and another previous car with aftermarket ground effects crushed by a tire shop for using a flat lift without blocks).

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
EPDM rubber pads should already be present on any professional car lift. The "puck fancy" is convenient for DIY on shade tree jacks (plain ol' hockey pucks serve the same purpose) but there is so much liability to use customer provided equipment that it's a real eye-roller everytime I hear it. Standard rubber blocks and correct lift operation are all a tech needs to elevate a Tesla S/X/3.

You don't need some fancy product to properly lift these cars, just read the manual and don't expect a franchise tire shop tech to be the expert.

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How would your protect yourself from the non-expert tech without jack pucks?
Well, if they attack me from the front I'll probably block with a printout of the manual followed by a turbo maneuver to speak with the shop supervisor. Sometimes that is not enough protection for me so I tend to carry a spare dreamcase as an arm mounted shield.

You're right though, the pucks would make a decent ranged defense weapon if thrown. Accuracy might suffer a bit due to gyroscopic effects.